SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Helmets Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 25-04-05, 01:40 PM   #1
tigersaw
Mega Poster

Default Shoei raid 2

Just had my free 600 mile service ( for free read £33 )
So now I can give it a few more beans until 1000 miles, when I can treat it the way I treated the demo bike

Whilst waiting I tried a huge amount of helmets on , favourite for features and comfort was the Shoei Raid 2.

Any comments about this helmet, good or bad? How does this pinlock visor system work, for anti misting I'm told. Does it in fact work?
tigersaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-05, 01:47 PM   #2
Stan the Man

Default Shoei Raid 2

Just won Ride's Best Buy in the May issue, so must be good. I fancy one too, but HG and Infinity are offering the runner up HJC AC-11 for £99.99, so might get that.
Old 25-04-05, 04:31 PM   #3
Liam

Default Re: Shoei raid 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigersaw
Any comments about this helmet, good or bad? How does this pinlock visor system work, for anti misting I'm told. Does it in fact work?
I had an origional Raid, saved my life when I got knocked over & dragged by head, so can attest to it's crashworthyness.

I've an XR1000 now, which shares the pinlock; it worked fine when new but the clips are a little 'tired' after a year and the insert needs repositioned once in a while. When this happens you need care to work in a clean environment as stuff caught in insert is annoying during a ride. Fine for stopping misting even through winter, although it has a smaller mist free area than using a fog city on a traditional visor.

Liam
Old 25-04-05, 04:40 PM   #4
BillyC
Mega Poster

I've got a Raid... and it is an excellent lid, comfortable... fairly quiet, and fits me well.

However, it is quite heavy compared to the XR900's and 1000's. The XR1000 would be my next purchase, mainly because it's not that much more than the Raid.

Saying that, I have no idea how much the RAID II is.
Old 25-04-05, 06:13 PM   #5
Patch

Had two raids and both had to be replaced after crashing.

The first only lasted a week so was not even broken in, the other close on 18 months and in the region of 40,000 miles I think. It did not suffer from "loosening" like others I have owned and does its job OK.

I think the vent on the raid was a weakness just doesn't seem to add any value when its really hot.

Easy to fit intercom headset into but a ****ser to get the liner clean as it did not come out.

Don't know if they were Raid or Raid 2.
Old 25-04-05, 06:36 PM   #6
Keitht

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch
Had two raids and both had to be replaced after crashing.

The first only lasted a week so was not even broken in, the other close on 18 months and in the region of 40,000 miles I think. It did not suffer from "loosening" like others I have owned and does its job OK.

I think the vent on the raid was a weakness just doesn't seem to add any value when its really hot.

Easy to fit intercom headset into but a ****ser to get the liner clean as it did not come out.

Don't know if they were Raid or Raid 2.
Agree with Patch about the Raid 1 - had mine for 14 months now and 10k miles. Fit is excellent, wind noise not bad and weight not bad. Could do with better vents, especially to help with fogging.
Would most likely get an XR1000 or X-spirit next, can't fault 'em.
Old 25-04-05, 08:58 PM   #7
suzsv650

my m8 had a raid i duno which one it wos the best one lol and he crashed the day after .. mupet .. after he went out n spent £300 on a lid not good...
Old 26-04-05, 07:29 AM   #8
wyrdness

I've got a Raid which I've had a couple of years and will need replacing soonish. The Raid 2 will be top of my list as a replacement. The quick-release system for the visor is excellent.
Old 26-04-05, 01:04 PM   #9
Stef

My CF has the Raid 2, I have the XR-1000. There's not much difference between the two since the Raid got replaced by the Raid 2. Both have a pinlock ant-fog and removable inserts. The XR-1000 is a bit lighter (50gr so not very noticable)and has a sportier design. The vents of the Raid 2 are easier to open/close while riding but the XR-1000 vents seem a bit more efficient.
Old 27-04-05, 10:34 AM   #10
Liam

Having owned both, if you're thinking about and XR1000 instead of a RAID be aware that the XR suffers from significantly more wind noise.

Liam