weazelz

Default Re: Trackday - Eastern Creek (Sydney, Australia) Sunday 9 December

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukemillar View Post
very nice - I do like left-handers
Old 10-11-07, 06:34 PM   #13
Tim in Belgium

Sorry, busy that weekend! Give us a litle more notice to organise flights etc.. next time
Old 09-12-07, 10:08 AM   #14
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Ok, back, didn't crash, didn't rain and I am exhausted! Will write a proper thing up tomorrow as I think I'm going to fall asleep now + the pics should be posted so I can add a few of those
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-07, 11:44 PM   #15
lukemillar
Mega Poster

The Track

Had a pretty awesome day. Eastern Creek is quite a tricky circuit, but damn is it fast! Massively long start/finish straight leading into turn 1 - the corner that separates the men from the boys! Id hit around 250kmh at the end of the straight, and drop down to 190 into the corner! Apparently you can enter the corner around 230kmh, but I didn't have to balls for that! The track is about 3.5km long and quite hilly.

Started off in the white (slow) group on the organisers advice (hire bike + new track) and ended up staying there the whole day! I should have moved up 2 groups, but there was only around 10 riders in the slow group so once i was out front, I was pretty much by myself which was nice. Plus there was a storm coming at the end of the day and I wanted to stick with the group with the earliest time slots! That was one thing that sucked during the day 4 groups x 20 mins each meant that you had 1 hours wait between session instead of 40 mins in the UK. Got a bit dull waiting for so long. Also, if someone binned it halfway through the session, they wouldn't line us back up again - instead, just get the next group ready. Generally the organisation with the UK organisers is more slick, but other than it is pretty much the same deal.

The bike

Last time out I was on my 06 R6 with brand new tyres; this time a hired GSXR-600 k7 with worn tyres. Have to say I much prefer the R6! The GSXR is a really nice bike to ride and very forgiving. You could be a little lazier with keeping revs up as there was definitely more pull in the midrange. Gear indicator was actually quite nice! The bike felt much large than the R6 and the riding position less focused. I wasn't really keen on this as the R6 could turn much quicker into corners and change direction more easily. Overall the GSXR just wasn't as exciting because it was quite easy to ride. The R6 you really have to ring it's neck whereas the gixer felt a little dull. Plus the sound of the GSXR on full chat doesn't even come close to the R6 (both on stock cans)

I want to go back, but I won't be getting a hire. The potential $3500 excess on a spill is just too much - especially given that the track is so fast, if you did come off, it would probably cost the whole lot!

Pictures here:

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=101448
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
Old 10-12-07, 12:18 AM   #16
weazelz

nice pics (subtle branding ) - looks like you're having fun. weather looks good too, unlike here, not that I'm jealous at all, not even slightly, honest
Old 11-12-07, 11:03 AM   #17
Blue_SV650S

Only just seen this!

Cool

What was track/air temp on the day??

£215 INCLUDING bike hire ... that is a bargain ... we so get ripped off in the uk ...

What are bike prices like out there?
Old 11-12-07, 12:29 PM   #18
ibishu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S View Post
Only just seen this!

Cool

£215 INCLUDING bike hire ... that is a bargain ... we so get ripped off in the uk ...

bike prices are terrible! looking at buying a 675 when i get back, brand new, about $16,000 on road. thats about £6400.
rsvr, which i was also thinking of, second hand about $18000. thats £7200.
i test rode one here that was an 06 with 600 miles on it for £5000! that is a rather large difference.
not sure about sv's.
jap bikes are definatly the most prolific in aus, not that many scooters, but they are growing in number.

but, parts and bits for them are cheaper than here. oil, accesories are cheaper too. except leathers. leathers are cheaper here.
who knows why. i have never figured it out.
Old 11-12-07, 10:26 PM   #19
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S View Post
Only just seen this!

Cool

Track temp was around 25/26, air temp around 30! I was sweating like a p-i-g in my leathers!

Trackdays here are cheap - $169 for midweek and $199 of a weekend which is about 65 and 80 pounds in real money!

Only downside, is you aren't spoilt for choice as you are in the UK. Without crazy drives and overnight stays, there are only 2 tracks here

Bikes on the other hand aren't so cheap. New bikes are fairly comparable but the second hand market here is expensive. I have been looking at 03 R1's and they all seem to go for around the $10000 mark which is about 4500 at the moment. Old Ducatis are just nuts! Ship a 748S or R over here and you are laughing! Is saw a couple of genunie R's in the UK in great condition for around 5000 pounds. Here, genuine R's sell for around $18000/$19000!

Petrol is also cheaper - around 60p a litre
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
Old 12-12-07, 09:37 AM   #20
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukemillar View Post
How did you go about emigrating??? Did work post you out there or did you apply for a job??

I wanna go to OZ - everything about this place sux!!! ... and is sucking more and more by the day!!!