SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Track Days Post up here about trackdays

Old 24-10-07, 09:27 AM   #11
chunkytfg

Default Re: Track riding question on technique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S View Post
So let me get this right, your bike is set up specifically for jamming the brakes on mid-corner?? ... how did you manage that?!?!

Its all about ‘limits’ .. by definition if you are right on the limit then if you add more brakes you go down – as … well you were on the limit beforehand … if you were not on the limit, and you add brakes (yet remain under the limit) … you wont ... all having fancy suspension and tyres means is that those limits are faster/further over, nothing more. There is a good chance he is well within the limits of his current setup ...

Teriyakimonkey – jamming the brakes mid turn is not necessarily disastrous, but is risking things a bit, only do it if there is a really good reason to - however, running brakes into a turn is fundamental to going fast!!
I think you'll find what she is getting at is that a standard bike such as my road SV will try and standitself up if you use brakes mid corner whereas a race bike such as my other SV will not do it as much and as such is more suitable for braking deep into a corner. I dont beleive she said it was a bad idea on his bike merely that it's probably best to leave it for now especailly as he wanted to know if it was something that could be experimented with on the road which as far as i'm concerned is a big no no due to the countless extra variables there are on the road.

And anyway here's my 2p.

So far everyone has given the best advice possible. If you can absorb everything thats been mentioned(bar the fishing for an arguement) then you will find your pace will increase anyway.

You have to remember though that to ride quicker you are effectively going faster than you are comfortable with. Crossing a line so to speak. The more you cross the line the more comfortable you will become at that point and that becomes your new line. Howvwer remember that you cant become rossi overnight so little steps or one thing at a time.

Dont be any rush to try and get your knee down either. I've seen plently of peple ride at what i consider a very rapid pace and not even move on the bike let alone get there knee down. As long as you move your body weight to the side and move your outside shoulder to the inside of the bike then your knee will eventually go down as the pace increases.

Do maybe consider buying a set of part worns off a racer to fit to the bike for the day. They will be beyond tyhere best for the guy selling them but for your pace they will happily wartm up enough and offer you enough grip to get out of trouble should you need the wiggle room to make the corner. Not to mention the head factor, haveing a set of tyres you know will grip far beyond your ability allow you to move that line alot more comfortably without running the risk of exceeding the grip of them 020's!!

DOnt try and catch your mates up. as long as you are having fun and progressing then thats all that matters. My first trackday was 2 months after my DAS and spent the day trying to keep up with my mates who were experienced TD'ers. IT fair to say when I ended up on my backside coming out of edwinas I exceeded my limits trying to do too much too soon.

Do just go and enjoy yourself after all thats all the day is about regardless of pace.
Old 24-10-07, 11:59 AM   #12
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by twonk View Post
Read what was put again …..
Take a chill pill and take your own advice before writing such an inflamed response!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkytfg View Post

Do maybe consider buying a set of part worns off a racer to fit to the bike for the day. They will be beyond tyhere best for the guy selling them but for your pace they will happily wartm up enough and offer you enough grip to get out of trouble should you need the wiggle room to make the corner.

That’s the best tip yet buy some partworn race/track tyres, you will get away with more and have much better feedback with proper track tyres.

Last edited by Blue_SV650S; 24-10-07 at 12:06 PM.
Old 24-10-07, 12:28 PM   #13
chunkytfg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S View Post
Take a chill pill and take your own advice before writing such an inflamed response!

That’s the best tip yet buy some partworn race/track tyres, you will get away with more and have much better feedback with proper track tyres.

I'd agree with the feedback aspect although at a novice level the ability to have a set of tyres to get out of trouble is probably all that is needed.

Is this the first time you've agreed with me?
Old 24-10-07, 01:05 PM   #14
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkytfg View Post
I'd agree with the feedback aspect although at a novice level the ability to have a set of tyres to get out of trouble is probably all that is needed.

Is this the first time you've agreed with me?
I do believe it's the fist time you haven't spoken out of your posterior yes!!
Old 24-10-07, 10:04 PM   #15
monkey

Wahey the traveller's here! Thanks for your help peeps. What Luke says makes sense regarding the amount of downshifts. I suppose its' only after long straights that that I'll need to change down more than a couple of gears. I really need to practise on the bike and get to know the different speeds/revs/gears relationship becuase the Daytona is soooo different to the SV. I might find that even if I don't get the right gear it's not as critical as on the SV as they're so close. I could literally go from 1st to 6th on the Daytona and it would still pull.
Old 28-10-07, 07:41 PM   #16
andyb

Read this thread with interest as I intend doing my first track day early next year. Thanks for all the advice guys/girls should help a lot when I finally get the courage to do one
Old 28-10-07, 09:00 PM   #17
monkey

You won't regret it Andy! When you get a corner right and you feel milimetres from the ground, it feels so right.