SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-11-07, 06:14 PM   #1
NadineDieBiene

Default It must be the regulator...

Hi guys, sorry for posting in this category, but nobody seems to read the wanted/for sale part...

My battery keeps going flat and I keep ringing my friend to pick me up with his van from all places in Bristol. As I have already changed the battery and somebody told me the altenator hardly ever stops working, I am now 100% sure that I need a new regulator.

But there is no way I can afford a new one, so has anybody got a spare used one? My bike is my only means of transport, hence I am posting here.

And it is a 2001 (K1) - I have read on the forum that there are differences even between the curvy ones?

Thank you very much for your time,
all the best,
Nadine
Old 03-11-07, 06:24 PM   #2
andyharding

Default Re: It must be the regulator...

I got mine from a place called Busters Accessories. £59.99 part number REGA158 give them a bell 0871 91 92 900 or try here http://www.busters-accessories.co.uk. Mine is larger than the factory fitted one and has sorted my bike out a treat.
Old 03-11-07, 06:29 PM   #3
Lissa
Just Ballast
Mega Poster

The problem is, they are only listing one for the curvy, and there are definitely two different types.

Which bike was yours for, Andy, and did it fit straight on or did you have to modify the wiring?

I'd Rather Have Two Big Bangs Than Four Little Strokes
Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-07, 07:38 PM   #4
andyharding

Mine is for a 2000 curvy. the wireing was the same the only thing i had to do is get some longer bolts as the new reg/rec is slighly thicker. If they aint listing the one you want ring them up. They are fantastic and will sort you out first time.
Old 03-11-07, 09:23 PM   #5
haggis

What about a 2nd hand one here, £25.

http://forums.sv650.org/showpost.php...91&postcount=1

Better than paying full whack. Just check what year his bike is, same connectors etc.
Old 04-11-07, 09:07 AM   #6
Kyytsis

My Curvy did the exactly same thing about 2 moths ago. The OEM regulator is really expensive, but there are aftermarket ones that will fit. In addition, any regulator which has 5 wires to it will fit - you just need to put the wires to the SV's connector.

Easy to do - three of the wires come from alternator (all same color) and those can be connected in any order. The 2 remaining wires have to go right, but usually it's enough to just match the colors.
Old 04-11-07, 10:40 AM   #7
andyharding

i would never buy a second hand reg. how do you know that wont be diff as well. in the long run just spend the extra ammount for a new one as it will last longer than a second hand one.
Old 05-11-07, 01:06 PM   #8
NadineDieBiene

Hi there,

thank you all very much for your advise. I know it is risky to buy a second hand one, but wish me luck, cos I just did...

All the best,
Nadine