SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

View Poll Results: Would a Purge Work?
Yes 3 16.67%
No 6 33.33%
Keith_D 9 50.00%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13-03-15, 09:07 PM   #1
DJ123
Mega Poster

Default The Purge

Reference the film with this title, do you think this would work in a modern society?

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-15, 09:25 PM   #2
Spank86

Default Re: The Purge

of course not.
Old 14-03-15, 12:16 AM   #3
Matt-EUC
Mega Poster

Default The Purge

Doubt it very much. There are a few things I'd like to do, however.

No killing though.

White 650 V-Strom
-No mods
Blue curvy 650 (OMFG I FIXED IT!!!)
-200mm Delkevic Stubby.
Matt-EUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-15, 02:05 AM   #4
BanannaMan

Silly premise to think criminals would limit themselves to one night.
If anything it would just make them worse as criminals usually don't follow the rules.
Why not wait till the all clear is sounded and then knock off or rob anyone you like.
The police can't be everywhere.

"The Mountains are calling and I must go"

BanannaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-15, 03:13 AM   #5
L3nny
Mega Poster

I never understood why the people who wanted to stay out of it just didn't go abroad on Purge day.

Why would normal law abiding citizens suddenly want to kill a random stranger one day of the year?

What about insurance? Who pays to clean the mess up? Hospitals are closed on purge day if you've been shot but what if you've had a genuine accident? What if you were shot 2 mins before the end of the purge? Will they admit you before you bleed to death? What about crimes that will affect people long term like filing a fraudulent insurance claim?

There would have to be so many rules governing the rules of the purge you may as well not bother.
Old 14-03-15, 03:41 PM   #6
Balky001
Mega Poster

No it would not work. It would mean there were few decent people and more evil/mental people left at the end of it. I think they cost of post traumatic stress counselling would be pretty massive too
Old 16-03-15, 05:56 PM   #7
ClunkintheUK

Define work. Given that there are a number of less then scrupulous very wealthy people, some of whom already own a small army, I don't think it would end well for the 99%. There were people at the top of companies who were perfectly happy to lay of 1000's of people using the crisis as an excuse (not many, but some). I don't think they'd wait 10 years for a good recession, and go through the hassle of actually laying people off when they could just send some heavies round to kill them once a year, much cheaper and easier.
Old 16-03-15, 07:30 PM   #8
DJ123
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3nny View Post
I never understood why the people who wanted to stay out of it just didn't go abroad on Purge day.

Why would normal law abiding citizens suddenly want to kill a random stranger one day of the year?

What about insurance? Who pays to clean the mess up? Hospitals are closed on purge day if you've been shot but what if you've had a genuine accident? What if you were shot 2 mins before the end of the purge? Will they admit you before you bleed to death? What about crimes that will affect people long term like filing a fraudulent insurance claim?

There would have to be so many rules governing the rules of the purge you may as well not bother.

Lets say that 1000 people get 'purged' & they were all on full benefits-housing, JSA, etc etc which is going to be in the region of £15k+ per year. You've just saved £15,000,000. Clean up should be fairly easy as you could say that all bodies from the purge are considered to be donors for organs, body parts etc (if they aren't entirely full of holes).
War rules-somehow a war has rules that are enforced!

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-15, 12:59 AM   #9
LewSpeight
Mega Poster

Can someone please explain this "Keith_D" that keeps cropping up in these polls haha
LewSpeight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-15, 01:46 PM   #10
Scoobs
Vipers Pillion Bitch
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewSpeight View Post
Can someone please explain this "Keith_D" that keeps cropping up in these polls haha
It's in reference to the original keithd (small k small d) who would invariably add an "I don't care" option. Laterly known as the keithd option.

There's some forum history for you right there.

PS - Had to vote keithd

Last edited by Scoobs; 17-03-15 at 01:52 PM.
Scoobs is offline   Reply With Quote