SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-05-06, 12:18 PM   #1
socommk23

Default speeding ticket! no way!

out for a run with friend yesturday... down fav road...ok going a little quick but nothing stupid...infact be hard to say ever went more than 60 cos of traffic....got pulled over and copper said.."i was doing 80 to 85mph to catch up with you"
and then put "80 to 85mph" on the ticket!
just one copper on a bike...no cammera or evidence shown! just read off his speedo!

im taking this one to court!

(80 to 85mph to catch up...if i was doing that he wouldnt have caught up! and no way anyone could do 100 on that road which he would have had to to catch us if we were doing that speed!)
Old 01-05-06, 12:43 PM   #2
graphikill

Default Re: speeding ticket! no way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by socommk23
80 to 85mph to catch up with you"
let us know the outcome....

if he had to be doing 80-85 miles an hour to catch you that doesnt mean thats the speed you where going.....

that slike saying if you satrt at point A... and he starts at point B 200 yards away and you both go the same speed he will arrive at teh same time at point c.... well those 5-0 aint teh brightest bulbs in the box
Old 01-05-06, 12:43 PM   #3
K

Was he all resplendant in white, reflective yellow and blue or was he 'plain clothes'?
Old 01-05-06, 12:46 PM   #4
Flamin_Squirrel

I believe that the copper does indeed have the power to give you a ticket based on his word and that alone.

Don't worry, irritations like 'evidence' and 'due proccess' are expensive and stop the government acheiving their targets, and allow them to waste money elsewhere.

After all, only the guilty have anything to fear
Old 01-05-06, 01:12 PM   #5
amarko5

i have had the same lecture but i was in the car and it was a woman in a van .

she said " i was doing 45 to catch you up" I said But i turned out of the turning 2 cars in front of you so by the time you had got out of the turning and raced after me overtaken 2 cars , then yes you would have to do 45.

i then asked why she had chased me and the reply was your brakelight on the drivers side flickered from on to off WTF .

anyway i replied well thank you for informing me about the light i will fix it when i get home as i have a spare bulb.

her reply your going nowhere until i issue you a ticket for speeding

my reply by what method did you determine i was speeding

her reply I had to do 45 to catch you .

here we go round and round again i explain the laws of physics , she checks with a colleague over radio, i listen in colleague says you stupid woman the guys right now stop being a tart and come and collect me.

she parts with a nice " Ill be watching for you"

don't think you will have much of a problem if you get a decent brief when u take it to court.
Old 01-05-06, 01:41 PM   #6
Speedy
Mega Poster

Obviously the copper missed his 'Coffee and Doughnut(s)' break!!

Take it to court,They have to PROVE you were speeding,and has been stated,you would have been going slower than 85mph for him to catch you! Tit!

Similar thing happened to me,accused of being parked on 'white zig-zag lines on entrane to zebra crossing' (that's how Entrance was spelt on the Fixed penalty ticket I was issued with,literacy is obviously not a requirement in the police),which I wasn't,I was in a traffic-jam!

Anyway,went to court,defended myself,and won! I even got to cross-examine the police officer,which was great,he ended up looking like a complete incompetent idiot. Especially when I asked him to clarify whether I was parked on zig-zags or not,as his statement said I was parked on a zebra-crossing and ticket said zig-zags.
He subsequently couldn't remember.

The officer said to me after that if everyone was to appeal against the tickets and fines etc,most of them would be thrown out of court,due to lack of evidence,and the time taken to gather evidence to prosecute for a £30.00 fine and 3 points.

So go for it mate!
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-06, 01:53 PM   #7
Warthog

that sounds totally unfair, hope you sort it out quickly and painlessly!
Old 01-05-06, 02:07 PM   #8
lynw

I guess you failed the attitude test then :P

Certainly if he had to do 80-85 to catch you up that means you cant have been going that fast.

Basic physics isnt it? If he matched your speed he wouldnt have caught you up.

Get a good brief and you should be sorted. Or try getting advice from that website whos name escapes me but a more knowledgeable person will no doubt post the link.
Old 01-05-06, 05:51 PM   #9
Cazza

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynw
Or try getting advice from that website whos name escapes me but a more knowledgeable person will no doubt post the link.
http://www.pepipoo.com/

I'm a person, but not knowledgeable. The first thing I remembered it as was PloppyPoo. Anyway, there it is...

Good luck - sounds incredibly unfair. And wrong.
Old 01-05-06, 07:08 PM   #10

Default Re: speeding ticket! no way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by socommk23
out for a run with friend yesturday... down fav road...ok going a little quick but nothing stupid...infact be hard to say ever went more than 60 cos of traffic....got pulled over and copper said.."i was doing 80 to 85mph to catch up with you"
and then put "80 to 85mph" on the ticket!
just one copper on a bike...no cammera or evidence shown! just read off his speedo!

(80 to 85mph to catch up...if i was doing that he wouldnt have caught up! and no way anyone could do 100 on that road which he would have had to to catch us if we were doing that speed!)
Just thought id add, that if they give you a ticket off there speedo, they forst have to track you, there has to be two of them in the car to agree that you are speeding, and additionally they have to then have the tacho checked asap to prove its callibrated, i do then belive if none of thoses things have been done, they cannot charge you.

Hope that helps,
Alex