SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-01-07, 07:54 PM   #1
Mark_h
Mega Poster

Default Fitting DL650 handguards

I know there have been some previous threads on the subject however laziness prevents me searching them out and either extending or linking to them.

The other day I fitted a pair of DL650 guards to my old naked curvy. Went out today with my heated grips set to half heat and my summer gloves on and was toasty warm. Even turned the heater off once the sun got up a bit. Much comfier than fighting with winter gloves and still getting freezing fingertips.

Probably not the most attractive accessory to fit to a bike, but if you want to extend your riding season can not recommend them highly enough.

If you plan to fit them, it's quite straightforward, but I did have to move the lever mounts inwards a bit as the left hand one caused the choke to foul the guards and the right hand one ended up with the guard about half an inch too far away from the end of the grip.

I would also suggest you readjust your clutch cable correctly before fitting the big plastic bits as it is a bit fiddly getting to the adjuster once you've got the guards fitted.

Oh and get the kit for the DL650 at about £23. As the 650 kit comes with all the fittings. The DL1000 kit is just the guards and you need some very specific bolts to make it all work.

Cheers,
Mark
Aliquid prudentissimus delectabiles et intelligentes in adamasset lingua.
Mark_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-07, 08:42 PM   #2
Tim in Belgium

Sounds very good and useful. My winter gloves are horrendous to ride in.

Will they work with clip ons, like a curvy S?
Old 14-01-07, 08:48 PM   #3
ejohnh

Where did you get them Mark?

John
Old 14-01-07, 08:56 PM   #4
Carsick

They go happily on the faired SV.
I'd just like to note, they do handle minor crashes well, if you don't mind the scratches.
Old 14-01-07, 09:59 PM   #5
Mark_h
Mega Poster

If you search through the history, one of the other Guildford riders, Stu posted some pictures of a pair fitted to his faired bike. They look a lot better on a pointy than a curvy, but either way they keep your hands warm.

They are a genuine Suzuki part. I got mine from local dealer www.Infinitymotorcycles.co.uk I expect any decent dealer will be able to get them for you.

If you manage to track down Stu's posting he had the part numbers too. If I manage to find my paperwork I'll add the part numbers to this thread.
Aliquid prudentissimus delectabiles et intelligentes in adamasset lingua.
Mark_h is offline   Reply With Quote