SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-07-09, 06:10 PM   #1
pin64

Default Commuting.

Hi All,

Have just got myself my first big bike (K6 sv650s - still trying to find a restricted ECU!) with the aim to commute to and from work every day rain or shine, Have chucked in the car completely so this will be my sole method of transport.

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts, opinions or advice to impart as I expect I'll be riding in pretty much everything the fantastic british climate can chuck at me over the next year or so, with no option to jump in a nice warm dry car...

The journey is a pretty good mix of country lane, motorway and town over about 40 miles each way (untill I finally sort out a place a bit nearer). My main concerns really are riding in the wet and cold.

Cheers!
Old 14-07-09, 06:16 PM   #2
Alpinestarhero

Default Re: Commuting!

Right, good thread.

Firstly, you will need to get very personal with your bike. Know what bits need regular cleaning and maintinence. This includes the chain and the clutch worm drive (cleaning and lubricating both). Also at least hose the bike down with clean water after riding in the rain, paying particular attention to the rear shock and brake calipers, so you wash all the crude off them.

secondly, get some heated grips and match them with handlebar muffs for when its cold and/or wet. Or you can get heated gloves, which are bulky but they do work quite well. The first combo means oyu can wear aummer gloves all year round. Handlbar muffs will kep your hands dry and the cold air off them, heated grips will obviously keep your (palms) warm.

Check fluids and tyre pressures once a week. Keep an eye on your milage so you can keep up with the sevicing.

Happy riding!

Matt
Old 14-07-09, 06:47 PM   #3
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

I did the same as you about 5yrs ago now. The best advice i can give is to but gear with Goretex in it. Its the best waterproof stuff and guranateed for 5yrs. Any product with Goretex in that leaks in that time they will repair or replace. (I've given this advice so many times recently i fel like an ad for Goretex, lol) yes it will cost a little more initially but divide that by the 5yrs its warrantied for and it makes sense.

Invest in some decent sports thermal gear for winter riding too. Skiwear or running/hiking gear are always good options as well as the biking brands like Edz etc.

Riding in the wet obviously has its onw joys but thats another story. Do a search and you'll find tons of previous threads with good advice for that tho.

Eventually you will probably end up with 2 sets of gear, warn waterproof textiles for winter and leathers for summer.

As A*hero says maintanence is also a big issue for winter riding but hey i've been doing it for 5yrs now and my bike never fell apart on me so it aint that hard
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-09, 06:53 PM   #4
mattmech

as said above mate. do a 38 mile round trip on shift work most days all year. try to rinse with hose or use an anti corrosion spray during the salty months, and there are plenty! try not to be too tight with how much you spend on riding gear. usually ride in leathers carrying waterproofs in ruck sack. tried a cheaper set of two piece textiles. 100% waterproof unless it lashes it down! my hands suffer the most. fog is a nightmare. on a previous bike i wired in an led stop and tail so the stop light part was switched to act as a fog light. great when weather warms up as it gets me to work with a smile and no probs with traffic jams
Old 14-07-09, 06:58 PM   #5
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Default Re: Commuting.

Scotoiler will save you money in reducing wear and the need to change so frequently the chain and sprockets.

ACF-50 will keep the corrosion at bay that you'll expose your bike to by riding through a winter

Stay away from sticky sports rubber, go for sport touring tyres, they'll give you plenty of grip and milleage to

Heated grips are a god send on cold winter days, You might want to consider a gerbing or similar heated jacket as well

You will need to keep on top of maintenance especially the brakes as the salt gets at them and then they will stick on, so you'll need to learn some basics unless you really love your bike dealership / local garage

Double bubble screen will help keep the wind blast off you on the motorway to

The negatives are that you might find you fall out love for riding as well, you might find that your commute wears you down and all you want to do at weeeknds etc is rest up and put your feet up and not ride.

If your doing it because you think its going to save you money you might find it wont, and a car IMHO is a useful thing to have on frosty winter mornings.

Dont worry to much, the postives far out weight the negatives, just remember biking is supposed to be fun so enjoy it !

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-09, 09:29 PM   #6
Red ones
Mega Poster

Do more maintenance than me! I do 60 miles a day and regularly miss stuff (brake pads this time). I'd say fit Conti Road Attacks when the Tyres wear out I get 10,000 out of a rear and about 20,000 out of a front. Regular oil changes are a must. I swear by my Nolan N84 helmet - quiet and comfortable - not trendy but it feels like I live in it. Heated grips always sound like stuff for wussy boys to me - until about the second week of December when I tell myself it isn't worth buying them as I might sell the bike.

Get decent clothes although whatever you spend the REALLY heavy rain WILL get through, so make a nice space in the airing cupboard for your gear!
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-09, 06:23 AM   #7
Swin

Not sure how muffs would go fitted to an S model tho, I had heated grips on one of my bandits, they didn't seem to last very long, but were fantastic when they did work!

As said above, buy two sets of gear - I have 3 jackets, 2 pairs of heavyweight overtrousers and 2 pairs of winter and summer gloves - that way you don't have to struggle into wet gear which isn't very nice!
Oh - and a one piece oversuit for when it really is persistently raining is well worth it!
Swin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-09, 08:06 AM   #8
AndyW

Speend 30 quid and buy a rainproof overall for when it _really_ pours down, and get over mittens (10-15) as well. They really do keep you dry even when rain is bouncing back a foot off the road. Go textiles, get a jacket with removable lining for summer riding. My pants have removable lining, but the rubberised feel creeps me out so I don't take the lining out even in summer.

Get a Hi-Vis waistcoat with zip in different place than jacket. (Stops rain going through zip). Commuting time drivers are sleepy, so the more visible you are the better.

Top box allows you to carry overalls, lunch, change of clothes & other stuff with no problems. Tried a backpack, but its not as waterproof, can cut into your arms etc.

Get a locker at work and keep shoes in it as they are a pain to keep carrying back and forth. Dry socks can be a blessing (just in case).

Not used heated grips/gloves, I have a pair of under gloves which kept hand warm with snow on ground, felt a bit bulky when worn with normal gloves though.

Having ridden in hail, I can just say I don't recommend it at all.
Old 15-07-09, 09:35 AM   #9
Dave20046
Mega Poster

fenda extender + goretex gear (probably been mentioned -sorry if so)
yaarkshire topbox?
Old 15-07-09, 09:03 PM   #10
pin64

Awesome thanks all. Cracking advice all round, although it sounds like my first months pay cheque is going to be gone in no time...!

I've got to admit I had somehow managed to completely overlook the maintenance aspect (probably down to the shear excitement of getting the bike), but am definitely looking forward to getting stuck in and making the most of it.

Will let you know how im getting on come winter! Thanks again.