SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-01-20, 11:04 PM   #31
DamoK4

Default Re: Will an R1 front master cylinder fit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtrummy View Post
Removed my front end without any special kit. Lifted the front end up and used rope from a joist in the garage. Put a supporting jack under the engine and progressed from there. Some years ago though, looks as if I will have to repeat as the oil seal in one fork leg is giving up the ghost.
I don't have a garage anymore. It was absolutely knackered when i moved in here so it got pulled down. It is getting done this year though. My springs may be shortly after. I'll have to make sure i get some strong joists

Had a re roof, re-wire, new heating system, kitchen, ceilings, knocked a wall out. Just done a big lawn. Been a busy bunny. Mrs agrees the garage is next before i do the bathroom
DamoK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-20, 12:34 AM   #32
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamoK4 View Post
Today i have ordered some front EBC sintered HH pads and HEL braided lines, and a calliper service kit with all new seals and rubbers, stainless steel bleed nipples.
Good choice in pad and line, I have the same set up. Also reassured in the bleed procedure you've used. A little trick once you've bled the brakes is to zip tie the lever to the bar overnight, it opens up the system to allow any little trapped air to rise to the surface and out of the lines. Firms up the lever action.

When you come to replace the seals be sure to inspect the pistons. I would expect to see a little dirt and pitting, this can be cleaned up without to much aggression but anything to much and you may need replacement pistons.

As for cleaning the calipers I wouldn't expect to see any grease in there per say more dirt and hardened grime behind the dust seals so a seal pick is useful here. If you have an ultrasonic cleaner I'd be tempted to give that a go as well, not tried that myself as I haven't needed to service any calipers since getting a little one...

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-20, 08:07 AM   #33
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel_hunter View Post
Might be a little late to the discussion here, but... Properly serviced SV650 brakes are fine, you don't need to change the M/C. I would only advise on that when doing a front end swap.

This is slightly troubling considering the following discussion on how to bleed brakes. What process did you use to bleed the brakes? Additionally have you checked the wear in the pads? Servicing the brakes is fairly straight forward provided you have the right tools and a good manual. But they are you're brakes if you are unsure what you are doing, take it to someone who knows.

Giving the brakes a full strip clean and rebuild with new pads and lines on a bike this age is a good decision particularly if you do not have the service history.

Now I'm not going to tell you how to ride as everyone has their own style, but I've never understood why some people mainly use the rear brake. If you look at it the disc is a single one that is small with a small caliper, compared to the front which has a bigger surface area on each disc, as well as twin discs, and in lots of cases much bigger calipers. I've always considered this a clue as to which brake is intended to be used more...

Properly serviced and maintained SV650 can stoppy, they can even do that two up. Ask me how me and Strechie know.

Check the service manual, and the bikes service history. If it hasn't got a service history there is no harm is doing the valve check and if needed adjustment. As with the brakes its fairly straight forward provided you have the right tools and a good manual. But if you are unsure what you are doing, take it to someone who knows.

Now I'm not going to tell you how to ride as everyone has their own style, but you do know that they rev to 10,500 before the red line, and peak power is around 8,500. It does no harm to rev the engine as it was designed to be used.

No. Do not use copper grease on your brakes. It is not needed. It does nothing. It is not recommended by any manufacturer that I am aware of on a modern brake setup such as the SV650 has.
I copperslip the pins and back of pads and particularly the rear caliper pin which seizes in on the SV. Works great for me.

Edit: Looks like the back of the pads thing is being disproven as an old dad's tale
https://youtu.be/V3MDXUT8RtA

Last edited by Dave20046; 06-01-20 at 08:17 AM.
Dave20046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-20, 08:25 AM   #34
Chris_SVS

Used to be a thing, now it isn't.
Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-20, 04:28 PM   #35
aesmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ffR4ff View Post
I use the old school method of bleeding my brakes e.g a bit of 6mm tube into a Glass jar a 3rd filled with old Brake fluid( I always keep my old Brake fluid as it's a great paint stripper for small parts if you leave them in it).
Pretty much the same here, except I start with the jar empty. No real need for fancy one way valves or anything since you can reach the bleed screw with one hand and the brake lever with the other. They bleed pretty easily even if you accidentally run the m/c too low and suck a bubble in from the top.

One tip is to start with the pistons fully retracted, less space in the caliper to air to be sitting.
aesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-20, 06:46 PM   #36
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesmith View Post
Pretty much the same here, except I start with the jar empty. No real need for fancy one way valves or anything since you can reach the bleed screw with one hand and the brake lever with the other. They bleed pretty easily even if you accidentally run the m/c too low and suck a bubble in from the top.

One tip is to start with the pistons fully retracted, less space in the caliper to air to be sitting.
Good tip. I use a C-clamp with a bit plastic protection strip to press the pistons in so it's easier to slide the caliper over the discs. I use red brake grease,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25-gram-C...kAAOSwKtlWq9-q

on the pins after de-corrosion and polishing them and a very thin smear of copper grease/slip on the back of the pads to aid the anti-squeal clips.
Old 10-01-20, 02:37 PM   #37
DamoK4

Just started to take the callipers off. Look at these pads:

Last edited by DamoK4; 10-01-20 at 03:10 PM. Reason: broken image
Old 10-01-20, 02:39 PM   #38
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamoK4 View Post
Just started to take the callipers off. Look at these pads

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/CCKdvqG
You've picked the wrong link from Imgur. Pick the Direct Link option : then use the little envelope option on here but remove the Blue HTTP before you copy and paste it into the box

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 10-01-20 at 02:41 PM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-20, 02:44 PM   #39
DamoK4

Try that one

Last edited by DamoK4; 10-01-20 at 03:10 PM.
Old 10-01-20, 02:47 PM   #40
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Is it meant to be blurred?