SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 23-06-05, 07:30 AM   #1
M65

Default Suspension

)Anyone know any good places in or around the Bolton area to get my bike set up properly?

I was out last night and it was skipping out over what seemed like every bump in the road when I was leant over. Really put me off my ride (oo-er! ) Everything is bog standard from new so far and its a K3.

Ta v much peeps
Old 23-06-05, 07:41 AM   #2
BURNER

I'd drop Elmerfud a PM mate, he's the right man for the job
Old 23-06-05, 09:41 AM   #3
M65

PMd him. Ive had a few good recommendations about him from other people who have been Elmer'd! Are there any other options, just in case he cant help though?
Old 23-06-05, 11:27 AM   #4
PBx

Can't believe you needed to ask - get it ELMERED - you know it makes sense
Old 23-06-05, 11:29 AM   #5
M65

I take it you've been Elmered too?! Am I the only one here who hasnt been?!!

If you have, what did he do and what was the difference like afterwards?
Old 23-06-05, 11:30 AM   #6
Ceri JC

Sorry if this is teaching my grandmother to suck eggs, but have you checked/filled your tyres recently? I found slightly over-filled tyres caused skipping like you describe.
Old 23-06-05, 11:30 AM   #7
Stig

Setting up the suspension takes a bit of time and is always a compromise. Adjust one thing at a time and take it for a ride. If what you have done feels better adjust it further in the same direction. If it gets worse again dial back to the last good position. If when you have adjusted it the first time and it makes it worse then go the other way. Once you have the front sorted, look at the back and do the same. You may have to adjust several times swapping from front and back until you are happy. But as I said, it's always going to be a compromise. Setting up the suspension nice and stiff for cornering will mean that it will be skittish over bumps and ripples in the road. Setting if soft for a smooth ride will mean that it will feel unstable round corners.

With the SV the it has limited adjustment so it shouldn't be too difficult to come to that compromise fairly quickly. You have a K3 so you have rebound adjustment on the front all though this is still rather limited in it's capability. The curvy shapes have none adjustable front forks as standard.

On the other hand you can do what others have done and fit an aftermarket shock that will give you compression, rebound and damping. Setting a shock like this up will take more time but there is less of a compromise as you are adjusting for all three.

You can also change the front springs for aftermarket ones and change the oil weight which will stiffen the front. If you go down this road, make sure that you get the correct sized spacers for the top of the forks for the rider sag.

I have a standard (in suspension terms) K1 and after adjustment, ride round the rather limited capability's of the suspension.
Old 23-06-05, 11:31 AM   #8
M65

No worries. Yea, checked tyres just last night before I set off actually. 32 front 36 rear so should be fine there.
Old 23-06-05, 11:36 AM   #9
M65

Cheers for the info BigApe. I did what you said about adjustments when I first got the bike, but that was when I was a complete novice rider. My riding style has changed now so maybe I should do this again?

About what you said about skipping though. I was having this problem as I was leant over in the corners. It doesnt seem to do it on bumps on the straights, although I do get thrown out of the seat a little if I go too fast over big enough bumps. Too stiff setting at the front and rear maybe? If I soften it up, will I lose too much cornering capabilities of the bike? I realise its all a matter of compromise, but any guidance would be much appreciated!
Old 23-06-05, 11:47 AM   #10
Stig

Sounds to me like you are suffering from "saggy front end syndrome". I would suggest that you get new springs. Personally I would get progressives.

Even just changing the fork oil will make a substantial difference. Well used forks will make the oil turn into the texture of water. Thicker and new oil will transform the feel of the front end.

A few people find however that once they have upgrade the oil and springs that they find the rear doesn't feel as good as it used to.

Hope this helps.

I will I will I will get round to doing my springs and oil. Sometime