SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-06-05, 09:10 PM   #1
philb

Default chafing wires

re my earlier post re intermittent indicators i have finally got to the cause of the problem, but first i will tell you of my woes.
Yesterday.
seat on engine cold indicators work
seat on engine hot indicators don't work
seat off engine hot indicators work (thought i had wiggled a wire and fixed the problem)
seat back on engine hot indicators don't work AAAAARRRGHH!! went inside and had a stella , well 1/2 bottle wine and a few stella's.
This morning
Seat on engine cold indicators work
Seat off engine cold indicators work
Seat off engine hot indicators work
Seat on engine hot indicators don't work AAAAAARRRGHH!!

Off to Halfords bought a manual (early fathers day present from my 8 year old, isn't she sweet)

Look at wiring diagram take off seat indicators work, relay tests ok, all wiring gives right readings.
Put seat back on indicators don't work Is there a pattern emerging here??

take out r/h seat bolt indicators dont work
take out l/h seat bolt indicators work hurray!!

look at wiring loom that runs behind l/h seat mount and find a very nice hole in the loom and a very shiny piece of copper wiring looking at me.
When i put the seat bolt back in it earths out the wire to the turn relay Bu**er me.

out with the insulation tape (TOP TIP. if you roll of tape is too big to pass between loom and frame when trying to wrap the loom then first wrap the tape round a small socket untill you have enough for the job then you can use your now small roll of tape/socket round the loom and between loom and frame)
10 mins later with loom well wrapped and tie wrapped securely out of the way i now have working indicators.

hope this info is of some help to other poor souls out there with intermittent electrical faults.
Old 12-06-05, 11:14 PM   #2
RandyO

what caused the chafing to occur, was wiring accidently rerouted, disturbed in any way from original location?
Old 13-06-05, 05:39 AM   #3
MrMessy

Was this a curvy? They where prone to the seat retaining bar chaffing the wires due to the sharp ends of the metal bar not been smoothed down after been guillotioned in production. Also worth checking rest of wiring loom, the increased current flow can damage the insulation on wiring in different parts of the loom. I have known the wiring to the right hand handlebar switch melt without blowing a fuse, this can cause the lights to come on with the ignition on without actually switching them on!
MrMessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-05, 06:34 AM   #4
timwilky
Mega Poster

chaffing is a common fault. and I detected it on mine whilst looking for any. Repositioned loom with a couple of extra tie wraps and ground a couple of mill off the bolt that was protruding beyond the seat bracket to cause it.