SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 07-02-07, 12:41 PM   #1
andyb

Default Changing bank account to Halifax?

I'm thinking about changing my current account from Natwest to Halifax. They have a hoght interest account at the moment with 6.14% interest and £100 when you swap. Thing is....looks too good to be true. All I have to do is give two signatures and they do the rest. Anyone got any experience of this?
Old 07-02-07, 12:43 PM   #2
Scooby Drew

Any reason you are chnaging other than the offer?
Old 07-02-07, 01:00 PM   #3
northwind
Mega Poster

Something else...

"£100 for switchers
A new initiative for switchers launches on 5 February. New customers switching their Direct Debits and standing orders to a qualifying Halifax or Bank of Scotland current account will be rewarded with
£100.

To qualify, customers will need to use the switching service and pay £1,000 or more into their account every month. The deal runs until 23 March."

Mystic Northwind predicts: The rate will drop off after a year at most. This is HBOS's second stab at this sort of account but it totally failed last time, nobody wanted it. You have to pay in at least £1000 every month, if you don't meet that then you lose the benefits... You only get the high interest on a balance of up to £2500 too.

The AATS switching process isn't quite as simple as they tell you, because it can take ages- you don't have to do much but it takes time to do, so for that time you don't know where your direct debits are going to come out of. Hassle, that. But they used to give you an automatic £1000 overdraft for the first 3 months to help cover that. It doesn't always work either, because it's down to the companies that collect the direct debits to make the change, not the bank.

I bet you need a pretty strong credit score to get it though...

Looks alright though. I've changed my staff account to be one, dead easy
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-07, 01:02 PM   #4
northwind
Mega Poster

Heh, watch me and Drew square off... HBOS VS Natwest/RBS WE shall settle which account you should have by having a fight in the playground. Or we could if you were at the Gyle, meet after work on the 5-a-sides pitches
Old 07-02-07, 01:13 PM   #5
Scooby Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind
Heh, watch me and Drew square off... HBOS VS Natwest/RBS WE shall settle which account you should have by having a fight in the playground. Or we could if you were at the Gyle, meet after work on the 5-a-sides pitches
You mean the RBS ones Nice facility, isn't it I'll just give you a 'nudge' in the gammy leg - game over... (BTW are you in Ettrick house?)

Back to the original topic. I'm curious as to why you want to leave - is it just the offer or have NWB been jacking you around? I know someone who knows someone who might be able to get something done see. TBH I thought of opening one myself and transfering my salary in every month. I could do with £100 right now, it's MOT time...
Old 07-02-07, 01:53 PM   #6
andyb

I've got a graduate account with Natwest at the moment and the interest is about 0.1% i think. I wouldnt have a problem paying in £1k every month and I dont normally keep more than about £2k in my current account as I usually put it in a saving account or ISA.
Old 07-02-07, 01:55 PM   #7
mattSV
Mega Poster

Quote:
Oooh, an inter bank fight - count me in - next time I am up at Gogarburn or Drummond House, I'll let you know Northy
2013 - 2016 Triumph Explorer 1200
2016 - Ducati Multistrada DVT S
mattSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-07, 02:04 PM   #8
northwind
Mega Poster

Jenni, help! I'm outnumbered!

Drew, I'm in Teviot for now- the nice one, closest to Drummond. Still not all that nice, mind, but we're moving up to Sighthill. Downsides of sighthill, no windows. Upsides, it's bombproof
Old 07-02-07, 02:23 PM   #9
Scooby Drew

Quote:
Jenni, help! I'm outnumbered!

Drew, I'm in Teviot for now- the nice one, closest to Drummond. Still not all that nice, mind, but we're moving up to Sighthill. Downsides of sighthill, no windows. Upsides, it's bombproof
Look you don't need to go that far, I was only going to kick you in the knee or sommat The reason I was asking where you were was cos there are 3 people with your name on the HBOS global email address list and I wanted to know which you were...
Old 07-02-07, 02:46 PM   #10
northwind
Mega Poster

There are, but none of 'em are in Ettrick I'm the Bacs one, andrew_cunningham@bankofscotland.co.uk. Also the one at Liberton Branch, but i don't talk to people who email me on that address