SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-05-13, 02:40 PM   #1
SIII
Mega Poster

Talking How far on reserve?

For the first time ever I actually got my reserve light to go past flashing and onto solid. I managed 24 miles from flashing to solid and another 6 and did not run out before I got home (Sunday night and all fuel stations closed).

Just wondering how far would I expect to have got before running out and what gear / speed would have been best to improve my mpg (not usually a worry on the bike)?

I stuck to about 5000rpm which is 62mph ish, as I remeber when running in I was keeping below 5500rpm and I was getting about 175 to a tank then, and I also tucked myself in as small as possible! Don't know if they would have made any difference but I thought I would hedge my bets and try my best to get home.

Off to put petrol in a can - doubt it will even start now!
Old 28-05-13, 03:49 PM   #2
jambo
Mega Poster

Default Re: How far on reserve?

Absolutely no idea
Old 28-05-13, 03:53 PM   #3
SIII
Mega Poster

Seen it! I know what folk get before hitting reserve but just wondered how far before actually running out? and how far on solid light on?

Had a wee search but couldn't find anybody quoting approx figures? Just interested if i ever get caught again.
Old 28-05-13, 04:57 PM   #4
garynortheast
Mega Poster

I've done 10 miles on a solid reserve light before now and not ground to a halt. 205 miles on the clock when I did manage to fill up.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-13, 06:48 PM   #5
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Sensible: within 10 miles of the flashing light
Brave:10 miles on the solid light
Stupid: 20 miles on the solid light
Fool: Runs out!

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-13, 07:05 PM   #6
Daffy_Duck

Ha ha! The panic that sets in when my fuel light starts to flash, good to know how many mile I can do without worrying next time.
Old 28-05-13, 09:46 PM   #7
Scythe92

I managed about 40 odd miles of normal riding on mine (2000 Curvy), couldn't have gone much further mind you!
Old 31-05-13, 08:29 AM   #8
aesmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIII View Post
Just wondering how far would I expect to have got before running out and what gear / speed would have been best to improve my mpg (not usually a worry on the bike)?
Well it's supposed to be 17L in total, but I don't know if the bike will completely empty the tank or not. The only sure way would be to run out and see how much it takes to refill. How much did your tank take after doing your 24 + 6 miles with the light on?

Regarding best mpg, the unpopular fact is that going slower helps, and going at a steady speed with gentle acceleration. All the stuff that you bought a bike not to do.
aesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-13, 07:05 PM   #9
Bibio
Mega Poster

i average 13mtl so its 4 x 13 = 52 miles before i start walking. when the blinky light starts i know i have to get go juice in 40 miles to be safe.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote