SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-02-06, 07:37 PM   #1
r4ce_e3nd

Default Front caliper exchange

hi,

I am looking to put some other front brake calipers on my SV ('99) but I don't know if this will work... can you put other calipers with the same centerdistance between the bolts or are there other factors I should look for. for example the headcilinder of the brake, the diameter of the rotors...

maybee there are some guys who did this before and I want to know there advise for which calipers I should look for. I was thinking of GSXR Tokico 4 pot caliper of the Brembo like the Ducati's would work...

(my excuses for my bad English )
Old 27-02-06, 07:38 PM   #2
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Nop AFAIK, there are no better calipers that are a direct replacement for the SV ones. The best thing is to get some diffrent pads, but the OEM ones for most people do the job well enough.

You will either have to go for a front end GSXR upgrade or get some custom brackets made up to fit other calipers.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-06, 07:41 PM   #3
r4ce_e3nd

ok, thanx for the quick responce. I was hoping this would work, but apparently it doesnt...

then I will go for a cleaning of my calipers, I hope this will make a difference...

I have already steal brake lines and EBC brake pads.
Old 28-02-06, 12:28 AM   #4
northwind
Mega Poster

There's a guy on Old School Suzuki who's making up plates to fit Bandit 12 6-pot calipers to Bandit 6s, which I think also means SVs.

Not that fixing Bandit 12 6-pots to a standard SV front end is anything like a good idea But with an appropriately fettled front end it could be good.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-06, 04:13 PM   #5
petevtwin650

There is a company in Kent that makes calipers as a direct bolt on replacement. They are 6 pots, with a pad for each piston. therefore six pads per side. The same as the latest Brembos, but these guys have been making them that way for years. Had one on the front of my Harley. Nice looking and I would imagine lighter than the stock calipers. They offer a refurbishment service as well . Full clean and new seals and pads for remarkably little money. The downside is the pair will cost you around £600 -£650 I think. Go lovely with wavy discs. When my premium bonds come up I'm gonna get a set.
http://www.billet.co.uk/suzuki.htm

http://www.billet.co.uk/index2.html
Old 28-02-06, 07:56 PM   #6
northwind
Mega Poster

Harrison? Look fantastic, but not known as high-performance items from what I've heard. £650'd buy you a whole GSXR front end... Even without selling the SV bits.
Old 01-03-06, 03:30 PM   #7
petevtwin650

Guess they're not known for high performance bits, 'cos most people only fit them to Harleys, but don't see any reason why they wouldn't do a better job than the standard brakes. However £650 is one big wedge of dosh. Like I said only for the lottery winner or such like.
Old 01-03-06, 03:35 PM   #8
northwind
Mega Poster

Oh aye, i'm sure they'd be an upgrade. And they do look lovely
Old 01-03-06, 06:03 PM   #9
Robw#70

They also wear badly either side of the pads when they've done a few miles, leaving grooves for the pads to sit in causing them to stick.

Used to see quite a few on Vmax's which tend to do more miles.
I would only call them an 'upgrade' on a Harley.
IMHO std sv calipers, proper pads and lines will out perform a set of harrisons and pads are v expensive as you have to buy 4 or 6 pairs (depending on caliper) at up to £20 a pair, providing you can find someone who stocks them

Caliper brackets are not that dear to get made, but just remember you'll need to prob change the discs to 320's to match the calipers
Old 01-03-06, 06:25 PM   #10
Mike1234

Or buy new SV callipers. See http://forums.sv650.org/viewtopic.php?p=492013 for some I happen to have available