SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-12-05, 09:03 PM   #1
larphead

Default tank bag? luggage?

im looking for a tankbag for my non S Sv650. i been looking a the joe rocket "manta" bag. but id kinda like one w/ the map pouch. but i dont want anything too large for every day use. i just need something big enough to hold cell phone, camera, extra pack of smokes, maybe a bottle of water or mt dew...all the crap you dont think ya need ya know :P
and maybe a shoulder strap so i can carry it into a store or something.

any suggestions?

also found this

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...68&division=6#

anyone know about them?

thanks
Old 26-12-05, 09:28 PM   #2
TC3

Default Re: tank bag? luggage?

I use the Oxford sprint tank bag which carries what you listed and is a nice small size
Old 27-12-05, 03:52 AM   #3
Paul C

I think you are on the right track with the Tour Master Cortech bags. Your link, though, was for the rear sport tail bag/saddlebags. They are very good, I have a set and they work very well on my 05 SV650.
For a tank bag, I bought a Tour Master Cortech 21 liter magnetic mount. This is a very versatile system style bag set, with a small upper bag zipping to a large lower bag which zips to the separate base. Either bag will zip to the base and can be used individually. The small bag is perfect for your commuting duties. The large bag is big enough to hold an eight pound weiner dog comfortably, just leave the top half zipped so he can put his head out at low speeds.

Both bags have map pouches on top. A clip on shoulder strap is included.

These bags are very well made of heavy material, and come with rain covers. The magnet mount has held without problem on the naked SV tank at speeds of 100 mph plus, even with the dog on board. There is a safety strap which winds around the bar risers.
I have found that using both bags at the same time is somewhat clumsy, as it makes for a tall package and makes it impossible to see the instruments. It is easy to switch from one to the other.

Shop around, there is quite a bit of price difference between suppliers
Old 27-12-05, 04:35 AM   #4
larphead

yeah thats the tail/saddlebag set-up i like. do you have a fender delete? i understand that some of them mount to the rear fender (which i plan on getting rid of)

heres the tank bag im liking

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...668&division=6

Quote:
The large bag is big enough to hold an eight pound weiner dog comfortably, just leave the top half zipped so he can put his head out at low speeds.
i think we need a pic of that

Quote:
The magnet mount has held without problem on the naked SV tank at speeds of 100 mph plus, even with the dog on board
and the dog is ok with this?
Old 27-12-05, 06:24 AM   #5
Paul C

You don't need the rear fender to mount, the mounting system is pretty versatile and can work with the undertail I want to use (Hotbodies). I am working in Washington state right now and need all the fenders I can get due to the #@$%ing rain. The base for the rear bags has an X type built in bungee system, will hold fast with two of the four hooks on with a full load, and will hook anywhere securely. Cheaper than the Joe Rockets, IMO a better set up.
As to the dog, this hound will not let me out the door when he sees me pick up the big bag (so long as the weather is over 50* F, can't remember the conversion for *C right now, dumb### colonial). I will get some pics in when X-drive comes back up, it is down tonight. Any opinions on the best web based hosting service? Any of you true computer gurus?
Old 27-12-05, 07:41 AM   #6
larphead

thanks for the feedback Paul. i think thats the set im gonna go with. i like the fact that you can use the tailbag and the saddlebags seperatly and they dont cost a arm and a leg. maybe for my birthday next year. im luckly enough to have my birthday near the begining of summer

as for pic hosting i use www.photobuct.com and am pretty happy with it.