SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Track Days Post up here about trackdays

Old 09-07-12, 10:34 AM   #1
speedyctr

Default 20mins taster at Oulton Park tomorrow

I have been riding for 1 year and have booked the taster session of 20mins for £20 just to see how slow I really am!
It's only 20mins so I'm not going to bother to tape over lights/speedo or remove number plate etc just fold in mirrors and hope to ride there aswell as back home. But a few concerns are all adding to my nerves. Please can anyone more experienced help me with the following?

1. Should i bother to remove Scotoiler or will it be OK as long as it's turned off?
2. My Airoh GP helmet doesnt have a ACU sticker but it is obviously a high standard so i hear it wont be an issue, is this correct?
3. Am i best to go with baffle in my Fuel exhaust as I don't need the hassle of putting it in after its deemed to loud.

Last edited by speedyctr; 09-07-12 at 01:49 PM. Reason: dodgy grammer
speedyctr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-12, 10:42 AM   #2
flymo
Mega Poster

Default Re: 20mins taster at Oulton Park tomorrow

Your Scotoiler should be fine. The helmet is fine also, but you should check with the organiser to see if they have any particular requirements of what to wear.

Leave the baffle in, Oulton have strict sound level requirements along with automatic tracks-side sound detection. They will very likely test your sound level before allowing you on the track.

its a brilliant circuit, but at the end of the day its a piece of tarmac like any other you've already ridden. Take things easy and you'll be just fine.
flymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-12, 01:56 PM   #3
speedyctr

That's just what i needed to hear - thanks Flymo

Old 09-07-12, 03:38 PM   #4
flymo
Mega Poster

no problem. Only other point to mention is to make sure that your bike is in reasonably roadworthy condition, e.g. tyres are legal and are at the correct pressure. Don't worry about using different pressures etc, totally unnecessary for a taster session. Engine oil level is within range, brakes work ok etc. No loose bits of motorcycle about to fall off (you know who you are Binky ) and absolutely don't wear a flowery dress unless you would normally do so.
Old 10-07-12, 07:32 PM   #5
speedyctr

That was bloomin' amazing! Won't be able to stop grinning for a while after that! It was dry too. Anyone thinking of making a venture onto track must do this. £20 you get 20mins track time but briefing time before hand and talking to the other riders afterwards makes it a great afternoon!

A couple of blokes failed on the exhaust noise and so had to find a baffle from somewhere, which they did. Unfortunately one of them fell out in the middle of the track! 2 more SV's there but don't think they're on here.

Me or the bike has never riden so hard it's totally different than going briskly on the roads as ther are no breaks like traffic lights etc

Not a flowery dress in sight either!

Old 10-07-12, 08:12 PM   #6
flymo
Mega Poster

fantastic, sounds like you had a great time.