SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-06-16, 09:45 AM   #1
Blapper

Lightbulb New to Suzuki and SV650S

Greetings fellow SV-ers! I have just bought a 2001 SV650S which so far I have only ridden 250 miles home in pouring rain. I have to say it is a sure-footed little bike, no hairy moments so far.

I want to put a softer seat on it (ouch my sore ar*e!) plus panniers and a top box. My question to you guys is what systems do you recommend (funds are not limitless)? If I start with a top box only, do I need a rack or frame or can plates be fitted using the rear seat pad fittings?

Thanks in advance for any advice offered.

Andrew.
Blapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-16, 10:45 AM   #2
nathcarr

Default Re: New to Suzuki and SV650S

Hi mate, welcome aboard, glad to here your enjoying the sv I've recently been looking for a monorack for my sv on a 2000plate and I'll be honest I've struggled until the other day when someone was selling one, as far as I know givi have stopped making them so you will only get a one 2nd if one comes up and I think this is the same for panniers, however there is a lad selling some on here, drop him a message of you can find the post. I think rentec may do a rack but I don't think there overly good, the way I'm going for is in just gonna pop my top box on and then maybe buy some sports panniers to just throw over when I need them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 30-06-16, 11:33 AM   #3
maviczap
Mega Poster

Pannier systems are rare as hens teeth for curvies now, unless you buy these ones quick.

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=223092

Otherwise soft panniers & a top box on a rack. Some bolt a top box to an old rear seat.

As for a softer seat, get someone like Tony Archer to put a gel pad in your standard seat. £60 to do it i hear

http://www.tonyarcher.co.uk/
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-16, 04:37 PM   #4
Blapper

Lightbulb Re: New to Suzuki and SV650S

Thanks guys,

OK, I think I agree with @nathcarr, I will go with a top box only and use a pair of throw overs when I need them (rarely). I was actually thinking about a Rentec Rack even though they are a rip-off. I can always blast one off and get it powder coated if it is the finish that makes you say they aren't overly good, but that would make it £100 which is far too much for a simple bit of tube fabrication.

@maviczap that rack would require me to do horrid things to the bodywork so I'll pass, but thanks man. I will be speaking with Tony Archer though.
Old 30-06-16, 04:41 PM   #5
nathcarr

Your welcome mate, as for the rentec I'm not sure if it's a normal but a few biker mates have complained about them snapping with the weight of the tin box with some gear in, that's what makes me say there not overly good mate, I mean that may not be the case with everyone but that's what put me off getting one, I think there's a German company that make some I can't remember the make of them now but think there's a website for them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 30-06-16, 06:42 PM   #6
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blapper View Post
@maviczap that rack would require me to do horrid things to the bodywork so I'll pass, but thanks man.
No it wouldn't, you just need to remove the side fairings, bolt on the rails and then refit the side fairings. No cutting or anything of that nature required
Old 30-06-16, 06:56 PM   #7
Blapper

Oh, that's funny - the second picture shows a couple of ugly straps that look like they pass through holes in the seat that aren't there on my bike?
Old 30-06-16, 06:58 PM   #8
maviczap
Mega Poster

That's where the grab rail goes, you have to take that off to fit any rack
Old 30-06-16, 09:04 PM   #9
Blapper

LOL! Oops, (embarrassed).

Told you I was new...