SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-07-12, 05:59 PM   #1
Mega Poster

Default Sticking igntion lock.

Yo

The ignition lock on my bike has started playing up, I put it in the lock position and it becomes really difficult to get it to go to 'off' and whatever the one after is (never bothered reading it haha) So it only does it when the steering lock is on.

Anyway, is this a common issue with a fix? Couldn't find anything with the search function....
650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-12, 06:56 PM   #2
svrich

Default Re: lock issue

Mine has done the same for the last couple of years. I have to leave it without the steering lock on, and bung a few drops of 3-in-1 oil in every few weeks to hopefully stop it packing up completely. I am luck though that I can keep it locked up in my garage over night, and a secure carpark during the day.
Old 05-07-12, 09:29 PM   #3
Fallout
Mega Poster

Default Re: Sticking igntion lock.

Mine's dodgy too. I bounce the key up and down in the lock, wiggle and waggle it and eventually it goes where I want it to. Not sure if it's something I've done, standard wear and tear, or some pikey has broken it trying to nick it.
Fallout Breakbeat (My Music)
Fallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-12, 10:24 PM   #4
chezvegas85

haha, same issue here. I have to ignore steering lock. Its an 01 curvy and has been the same since i got it, a little bit of oil here and there and just live with it. You get what you pay for = )

Last edited by chezvegas85; 05-07-12 at 10:26 PM. Reason: usual gibberish
Old 05-07-12, 10:29 PM   #5
rictus01
Mega Poster

generally the key isssue is resolved by pushing the key forward and turning as normal (towards the front) and it'll work fine, it's just wear on the barrel, no proper fix apart from a new lockset.

Cheers Mark
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote