SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-04-06, 12:48 PM   #1
neilhatch

Default Sticking ignition lock

Hi,

This has happened a few time before but not recently, until the need for a quick exit today.

I leave the bike with the steering lock on, when I go to leave some 40minutes later key goes in but will not turn in any direction (can't put the parking lights on). After a fare bit of jerking the handle bars and turning the key around I can turn the key past lock and start her up.

Has any one had this problem before? I'm thinking of giving it a spray of wd40 tonight but i'm not sure if this will have a bad effect of whats inside the ignition barrel, anyone know?

K3 - original ignition barrel (as far as I know)

Cheers
And
Beers,

Neil
Old 12-04-06, 12:59 PM   #2
hall13uk

yeah i have the same bit of wd40 can help but the affects won't last long cos it's water soluble so basically it washes off at the first sign of H2O. some copper grease maybe better
Old 12-04-06, 01:07 PM   #3
John Burt

Dont use wd40 it has no lubricating properties, try a graphite based spray - theres loads of previous info on this subject on the site. Silkolene do one but the name escapes me at the mo.
Old 12-04-06, 01:11 PM   #4
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Yep I had the same thing. WD40 will cure it temporarily what you want is some proper lube on it though. Some 3 in 1 or something like that. You'll be able to find something in your local halfords that will do the trick.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-06, 01:15 PM   #5
neilhatch

Tah very much....

Short term, long term fix are fine. Wasn't sure if squirting any type of lube was going to mess with the ignition workings.

Cheers,
Neil
Old 12-04-06, 01:21 PM   #6
northwind
Mega Poster

I just used engine oil. Have you used Halfords deicer/lock lubricant by any chance? I used it a coulpe of times, and a week later the lock seized up.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-06, 08:48 PM   #7
Vfr400

Oil does a pretty good job of collecting dirt and crap a better solution is to use Graphite dust available from locksmiths as this is dry but lubricates well.
chris
Old 13-04-06, 11:36 AM   #8
Tris

Mine does that sometimes, but I've worked out if I pull the key edge on it fixes it.

I think that is because the key is worn and doesn't allow the "locking bits" inside the barrel to release properly.
Old 13-04-06, 01:22 PM   #9
jambo
Mega Poster

WD 40 or any other oil will fix it for now, nothing mentioned above will cause an issue with the wiring as cabling is fine being soaked in oil or similar and it won't allow conduction between contacts where as water can.
Old 13-04-06, 01:34 PM   #10
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vfr400
Oil does a pretty good job of collecting dirt and crap a better solution is to use Graphite dust available from locksmiths as this is dry but lubricates well.
chris
That's definately true... Or, buy a soft compound pencil and crush the lead, that's how we lubricate guitar parts
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote