SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-06-06, 03:15 AM   #1
jec444

Default Idle adjust screw?

Am having problems with my 2000 SV idling too slowly.

Apparently there is an "idle adjust screw" located somewhere on the left side of the bike and if I tighten it then I can raise the idle speed? Is this correct??

If it is correct, could anyone shed some light on what this screw looks like, I cannot see anything that looks like it would be an adjustable screw.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 30-06-06, 06:07 AM   #2
Tris

If it's a curvey you're looking for a black knob about 20mm in dameter with a ridged edge. IRC it's between the two main frame tubes

Don't know about the pointies

Tris
Old 30-06-06, 07:04 AM   #3
Scoobs
Vipers Pillion Bitch
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tris
If it's a curvey you're looking for a black knob about 20mm in dameter with a ridged edge. IRC it's between the two main frame tubes
Correct.

Although you may find if it's never been touched or not touched for a long time it may not work very well. If this is the case you will need to get the tank up and possibly get the air box off to access the adjuster from the carb end. Easy to do but just time consuming.

Hopefully the little black adjuster knob will work.

Scoobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-06, 02:26 AM   #4
jec444

Default idle adjust?

So, is this a plastic knob with ridges? Is there a cable going into it?
What do I do, tighten it?

Thanks
Old 01-07-06, 01:26 PM   #5
weazelz

with the engine running turn it one way or the other until you have the desired idle speed
Old 01-07-06, 01:29 PM   #6
Stig

looking at it, turning it clockwise will increase the revs, anticlockwise the revs will drop. And yes the plastic knob with ridges. It does tend to sieze up, but little dab of engine oil to lubricate should do the trick.
Old 01-07-06, 02:53 PM   #7
embee
Mega Poster

The knob connects to the throttle stop screw by a length of flexible drive (like curtain wire), so you'll feel it being a little "springy".

The thread up at the carb end might be stiff, that's where you need the lube. If the knob doesn't turn easily, or it feels like something's going to break, don't force it. You'll need to lift the tank and airbox to get to it to clean/lube as required, not a difficult task.

Set the idle when it's at normal running temperature, and make sure the choke is fully off. It's sometimes easier to adjust it by turning it up too high then backing off rather than gently easing it upwards fractions at a time, the springy drive tends to wind-up a bit.
embee is offline   Reply With Quote