SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Tyres Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 16-05-07, 06:20 PM   #31
John 675

Post Re: Just got some Michelin Pilot Road 2's

Now i am only on the Dunlop Sportmax Stock tyres, although there is loads of tread left in them. . but if i was to upgrade to better tyres what sort of difference can i expect to see? never really been down the tyre road before so im not too sure what to do/expect much like "scrubbing" them in.
i was looking at the pilot road 2's so what difference will i see???
Old 18-05-07, 08:59 AM   #32
Big Chris

Default Re: Just got some Michelin Pilot Road 2's

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyziowg View Post
oh.. the big dilema

z6's or the pilot's
Have to get new tyres within a week... (going on a longer trip, around 900 miles in 5 days next week). Prices are almost the same (£189 vs £195 fitted)
doing daily commuting, about 120 miles a week, plus the occasional trip on the weekend.
Can anyone say more about longevity?

Cheers
Hey all. Picking up the SV in the morning. Was browsing this as the darn thing need new rubber but not for the performance levels some of you guys will need for yours. May well put Mac100X on it for now. The reason I'm quoting dyzowg is that, if you need tyres with high grip levels that will go forever then you need Pirreli Diablo Stradas. I have them on my XJR13 with 5k on the tyres and they're just starting to show flat in the middle. In fact I'm putting a flat spot on the tyre wall on the front! They do nothing wrong, ever! warm up fast, grip in the rain and a mate of mine I ride with is impressed as he rides a 955i with Rennsports and I live with him fairly easily. I'd be interested to know if these road 2's give any feedback as I've always found Michelins to give little warning before they loose grip, they stick like * to a blanket then don't in my experience.
Old 19-05-07, 11:50 PM   #33
PeterM

Default Re: Just got some Michelin Pilot Road 2's

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylej View Post
Now i am only on the Dunlop Sportmax Stock tyres, although there is loads of tread left in them. . but if i was to upgrade to better tyres what sort of difference can i expect to see? never really been down the tyre road before so im not too sure what to do/expect much like "scrubbing" them in.
i was looking at the pilot road 2's so what difference will i see???
You will go from having round black things on your wheels to something called tyres.

Scrubbing tyres in is common sense, ride smoothly, let them warm up and don't ty to eradicate your chicken strips in the first 10 min. The mould release residue on the tyres is the slippery bit and the bike shop should use shellite or similar to remove most of it for you.

Each tyre brand tends to have it's own characteristics so it's a matter of finding what you feel most comfortable with. Tyre choice is a very subjective thing so check out what people are based on their use and develop a short list.