SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-02-09, 12:51 AM   #1
adamw2k2

Default SV good enough for the italian roads?

Hi everyone, only joined this forum the other day and this will officially be my first ever thread posted on the internet! I wondered if anyone can give me advice, basically i'm out in Italy at the moment working for a year, i'm a big bike fan so have decided that not having one out here is unthinkable, but also posses big problems for insurance etc, but i'm sure that could be a whole other topic! I'm usually an inline four man myself, i've had a bandit 400 a ninja 600 and a zxr750. I've enjoyed all of these bikes which are good for quick rides out, but i've been looking into getting an SV650, as i think this would be much more suited to long drives down to the south of italy and through the mountains, as well as the long drive from england to get it here (i plan to buy a bike back home as the prices here are very high). My question is am i right in thinking that a v twin, and especially an SV, is much more suited to these long drives out, and if so, is it good for this when standard, or are more comfortable seats, DB screens better suspension etc advisable before considering it as a comfortable long distance bike?
Old 16-02-09, 07:55 AM   #2
madness

Default Re: SV good enough for the italian roads?

Hello and welcome,

I've not had my SV for long but I find it plenty comfortable enough. I suppose that so far I've only done relatively short rides on it, 60 or so miles without a stop. I don't think there should be an issue if you stretch your legs and have a few minutes off the bike everytime you re-fuel. As for an SV on twisty Italian mountain roads? You lucky b*gger! Hope that helps but I'm sure someone who knows more than me will post soon.
Old 16-02-09, 08:29 AM   #3
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

you really need to ride one to find out

i found the SV fairly comfy for shorter trips but on long (3hrs+) rides my legs felt cramped. i thought this was because the seat was too low but after riding another bike i realised it was the distance between where your knee sat under the flange of the tank to the footpeg. I'm actually more comfy on a Daytona 675 than the SV, even with it's notoriously wrist heavy riding position, so it really depends on your body shape matching the dimensions of the bike

mechanically the SV will happily chug to italy and back without any issues, and it'll handle the smoother twisty roads happily, if there's a lot of potholes or poor surfacing it'll confuse the stock suspension but there's lots of options to upgrade that - it'll need a service every 4000miles or so but there should be no shortage of dealers in europe
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-09, 09:07 AM   #4
Captain Nemo

The SV is as good as any other bike for anytihng you want to do on it, but l;ike any other bike you need to try one to make sure its for you,

no point having the worlds most powerful bike if it breaks your back riding it, but the SV is a pretty much fits anyone bike, theres people on here with them at 5ft 2 and people at 6ft 5, as well as 8 stone to 25 stone, so they are pretty versatile, ave a go on one,
i dont think youll go far wrong with one really.
Old 16-02-09, 11:08 AM   #5
ivantate

Hi, I am in Italy with my SV at the moment. The only difference being it is a SV1000S. The twin is great for around the mountains and blasting along the autostrada although you will have to work the 650 quite hard along the autostrada to stick in the outside lane with the audis over long distances. Should take it in its stride though and the bonus of the UK number plate has been no speeding fines so far. I also changed the headlights on mine to RH dip to make life slightly safer, got them off Neio I think as his bike was an import into the UK and they had to be changed for the MOT.

There is a big SV following out here and depending where you are I can get you info on good garages etc... through a guy at work.

I have 2 problems at the moment though,
1- The first MOT is due on my bike on the 22Apr so I will have to get back to the UK for that.
2- I cannot get insurance at the moment. I am a UK resident, have a UK address, the bike is UK registered and a UK job contract but no-one will cover me for riding over here because I am working out here.
What cover I had for the previous 11000km is now probably debatable but probably better not to think about especially on some of fast runs through the hills chasing the Ducatis.

Getting breakdown cover with ACI was not a problem, they cover the whole of europe and atleast means you can get home if you have a flat. Think it is about 70Euro/year.

With regards to the bike prices I am looking into them as getting the MOT in the UK is an option but also importing the bike properly over here and selling it may also be one. Italy never had the black framed Sv1000 so if I find the right person while the pound is weak it might be worth selling over here.

Last edited by ivantate; 16-02-09 at 11:10 AM.
Old 16-02-09, 12:05 PM   #6
Warthog

Hello mate,

I rode to Bosnia and back through Italy on my SV, it is perfectly capable of doing it. Having said that, I'm not sure why you think v-twins are better for long journeys? I thought v-twins are a bit more vibey for a start, plus I have never found the sv seat very comfortable. If you wanted a bike for purely long distance touring I don't think the SV is particularly the right bike for this. But if you want a bike for enjoying the Italian roads that is possible to ride down to Italy from the UK, then the SV is great. It's immediate power was fantastic on the really bendy roads round the dolomites and the alps, was faster that the more lardy 1000cc IL4s I was with because of all the hairpins etc. (disclaimer, wasn't gixxers or anything, just a gpz 900 and Kwak GTR1000!).
Old 16-02-09, 09:23 PM   #7
adamw2k2

Hi, thanks everyone for the replies. My question was more about the SV as more of a cruiser, for example how is the riding position, seat padding, engine revs at say 80mph etc? As for the v-twin aspect, I was thinking that when reaching the mountains the 'low down torque' i've heard you get from a v-twin would be good for those hairpins and sharp bends? I will try to get a ride on one as soon as I can so that I can get a feel for one in the flesh!

ivantate - i'm currently based in Modena, Emilia Romagna - are you anywhere near? Any bike info would be much appreciated. As for the insurance, I am too finding it very difficult, many companies offer 365 european cover, but only for upto 30days at a time, however i have found one company that allows upto 90 days, i'm only here until September and so if all else fails I will have to take a little trip back to england for a few days, just so I can then 'reset' my cover and have another 90 days insured - I suppose a trip through europe and back in spring isn't the worst of things!
Old 17-02-09, 08:32 PM   #8
ivantate

Hi, I am just north of Modena near to Carpi. About 35minutes away, can definately get some info on friendly dealers around the area as a mate at work who is into SVs also lives in Modena. I had my bike serviced at a good place, think it was called Dulio Moto or similar.
It will be interesting to see if they insure you while you are working out here, best not to tell them especially if you dont use the bike for commuting.

I travel back to the UK every other weekend (by Ryanair, not SV) but do wangle a car from work at the weekends I am here so should meet up for a bike chat at some point.

Some of the best roads are south out of Bologna and down to Mugello but they are now well policed!!
Old 17-02-09, 08:49 PM   #9
adamw2k2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivantate View Post
Hi, I am just north of Modena near to Carpi. About 35minutes away, can definately get some info on friendly dealers around the area as a mate at work who is into SVs also lives in Modena. I had my bike serviced at a good place, think it was called Dulio Moto or similar.
It will be interesting to see if they insure you while you are working out here, best not to tell them especially if you dont use the bike for commuting.

I travel back to the UK every other weekend (by Ryanair, not SV) but do wangle a car from work at the weekends I am here so should meet up for a bike chat at some point.

Some of the best roads are south out of Bologna and down to Mugello but they are now well policed!!
Good, so not far then! Any info would be great, also if you know/hear of anyone selling an SV650s let me know as I am still trying to decide whether buying one here and then selling it before I go back is more convenient than buying one back home - i'll wait to hear from the insurance companies.

Ye if I do go with an english insurance company then I won't tell them i'm working out here and if something happens then I could have just been out here on a cruise.

I know of some very good roads upto and around lago di garda, also most of tuscany is full of those type of roads you only thought were possible on a postcard, was down that way in the car over the weekend and just can't wait to do them on a bike!

I work for Maserati, they have a moto club which last summer had over 80 riders, they have meetings starting in april and i'm sure that 'guests' are also welcome - will have to let you know.

ye if you are ever towards modena let me know, can meet for una birra o due!
Old 17-02-09, 08:57 PM   #10
zunkus

I've done high mileages whilst touring the UK and Wales on a naked 2nd Gen SV650 and my bother on an 2nd Gen SV650S for 2 weeks averaging 350 to 450 miles a day. The naked felt best doing constant 80mph on the motorway (which are similar to autostradas) whilst the S could travel at a slightly higher speed due to better wind protection although the lower down ergonomics gave more strain to my brother's back and wrists. There are some handlebar vibes at this speed but are only felt on arrival curiously. If you're traveling more on autostradas than mountain passes get a higher engine capacity but if you are doing more of the latter, the lighter the bike the better. The SV is great, but as the rest suggested, I'd try before I'd buy.