SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-01-05, 01:10 PM   #1
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Default aftermarket rear shock

I hesitate to post this, though I did a trawl and came up with nothing...

I'm going to the Ally Pally show this weekend and am considering spending my hard-earned on a good rear shock for my 1999 SV. Which one? Recommendations from personal experience are what I'm really after. People like JHS have warned me off the GSXR/etc. replacements and I'm willing to spin for the real thing.

Thanks!
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-05, 01:19 PM   #2
Flamin_Squirrel

Get the front fixed first if you've not already done so.

JHS warned you off GSXR shocks... why? I'd bet it's just because they want to sell you something stupidly expensive. The SV is a budget bike, it isn't worth it.
Old 24-01-05, 01:26 PM   #3
Iansv

Hagon's always looked pretty good to me, thats what i'm going for eventually, usually have a stand at the shows
Old 24-01-05, 02:13 PM   #4
Balky001
Mega Poster

I've got a GSXR600 and the original rear shock isn't great, better than the SV's and adjustable, but for fast riding it's dampening qualities was poor - I've now fited WP. When I had an SV I got Ohlins rear shock and it was excellent, but pricey. I've heard a lot of good things about Penske for the SV, as well as Hagon, which are both cheaper I think. I'd go for Penske if you can get hold of one.
Old 24-01-05, 03:45 PM   #5
northwind
Mega Poster

Penske's REEEEEEEALLLY espensive, about 1/3 again as much as the Ohlins. Hagon's cheaper though and seem to work really well.

JHS recommends what he has sometimes I think... In the past he's recommended me a SRAD shock, then a couple of months later was recommending K-series GSXR shocks with different dogbones for the original SV, and now he's recommending neither it seems. Or it could be he's come across something new which has changed his mind of course.

Personally, I love the Ohlins but it's a fashion accessory for most road riders- we just don't need it... I got mine for peanuts but if I hadn't I think I'd go with a ZX10R shock- they're much easier to find than SRAD parts now, better suited to the SV (they're the same length and slightly stiffer and better damped) and they fit nearly as well as the SRAD one. Same more or less goes for ZX6R and 636, although I don't know exactly which years will fit. What would put me off the SRAD is the age of the parts- newest one will now be 4 years old, and the ones in breakers now are coming off hard-worked bikes, not usually bikes going to race setups.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote