SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-05-06, 01:45 PM   #1
Khewett

Default GSXR front end swap - front tyre profile.

For those that have done a GSXR front end swap did you retain the 60 profile SV tyre, or replace with a 70 profile as used on GSXR's?

Will a 70 make the bike too twitchy being a steeper profile?

Cheers
Kieran
Old 10-05-06, 03:42 PM   #2
northwind
Mega Poster

I used a 120/70, just because it's taller- the GSXR forks are a fair bit shorter, 21Quest can tell you how much shorter as I always get it wrong Something like 25mm? Which is more than I was happy with stability wise. The 120/70 is (on paper at least) 12mm taller, which helps counter that (I had the SV forks down 10mm too, GSXR I have right at the top)

You could use the 60, it'll fit fine, but with my rear kicked up too I didn't fancy it much. It's still less stable than most people like, but that's how I like it
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-06, 03:50 PM   #3
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

I had a 70, but moved to 60 as the tyre was finished. With a 60 the bike steers very quickly and can get very twitchy over some roads. The only reason for the 60 is because it was my old Z6 that I had on the old frontend and has loads of life compared to the 70 that was on there. When the Z6 is finished i will go to a 70.

I have also droped the forks through the yokes an additional 4mm from the top flush to help with slowing the steering.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-06, 03:52 PM   #4
Khewett

Cheers guys, think I'll get a 70 and sell the old hardly used 60 on my SV with the rest of the frontend (hopefully)!

The £'s total keeps rising!!
Old 10-05-06, 04:17 PM   #5
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM
I have also droped the forks through the yokes an additional 4mm from the top flush to help with slowing the steering.
So do you have the yokes recessed under the top of the yoke then?
Old 10-05-06, 04:26 PM   #6
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM
So do you have the yokes recessed under the top of the yoke then?
Yes, but as explained to me, if you are to drop them under the top make sure the top of the fork tube is above the level of the clamp bolt otherwise it will clamp and slip over the top of the yokes, the main clamping strength is from the bottom yokes anyway.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Old 10-05-06, 07:42 PM   #7
northwind
Mega Poster

True... I'm pretty pleased with mine flat, just wanted to make sure I was following you right. People merrily interchange dropped and raised when they're talking about forks
Old 10-05-06, 09:40 PM   #8
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Quote:
True... I'm pretty pleased with mine flat, just wanted to make sure I was following you right. People merrily interchange dropped and raised when they're talking about forks
Yep after SS looked at them tonight they are a tad to low, i will raise them up again flush just for saftey. I am always wandering about them which i dont like.

Old 10-05-06, 11:22 PM   #9
21QUEST
Mega Poster

Quote:
I used a 120/70, just because it's taller- the GSXR forks are a fair bit shorter, 21Quest can tell you how much shorter as I always get it wrong Something like 25mm? Which is more than I was happy with stability wise. The 120/70 is (on paper at least) 12mm taller, which helps counter that (I had the SV forks down 10mm too, GSXR I have right at the top)

You could use the 60, it'll fit fine, but with my rear kicked up too I didn't fancy it much. It's still less stable than most people like, but that's how I like it
I'd say between 20mm and 25mm . I would go for a 120/70. With a 120/60 your trail goes done to roughly 93mm and about 98mm with a 120/70(assumming rear is standard height by the way).

Pointy has I believe 102mm trail as standard.

Cheers
Ben
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us
21QUEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-06, 11:26 PM   #10
21QUEST
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM
I had a 70, but moved to 60 as the tyre was finished. With a 60 the bike steers very quickly and can get very twitchy over some roads. The only reason for the 60 is because it was my old Z6 that I had on the old frontend and has loads of life compared to the 70 that was on there. When the Z6 is finished i will go to a 70.

Mate , I've got a sprint steering damper you can borrow if want to till you change to a 120/70. I can't use it at the moment as I'm running handlebars and was made for clipons.

Cheers
Ben
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us
21QUEST is offline   Reply With Quote