SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-04-08, 09:33 AM   #1
G
Mega Poster

Default Insurance - Not your normal insurance type post.

My insurance is due this month and I have been looking around.

Whilst looking around one company on the phone said,

'this policy does not cover you on trackdays or any other road/race circuits and that includes the nurburgring and Isle of man'

I thought ok thats normal I guess, but then thought hold on a second, the ring and the isle of man are public general use roads, surely they cant say they arnt insuring you on normal roads?

Surely that also means that the thousands of riders who go to the IOM every year and have similar statements in the small print without knowing are riding without insurance unintentionaly.

EDIT: I checked my current policy for the year just gone and its got a similar statement.
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-08, 09:49 AM   #2
Gazza77

Default Re: Insurance - Not your normal insurance type post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graemepaterson View Post

'this policy does not cover you on trackdays or any other road/race circuits and that includes the nurburgring and Isle of man'

I thought ok thats normal I guess, but then thought hold on a second, the ring and the isle of man are public general use roads, surely they cant say they arnt insuring you on normal roads?

Surely that also means that the thousands of riders who go to the IOM every year and have similar statements in the small print without knowing are riding without insurance unintentionaly.

EDIT: I checked my current policy for the year just gone and its got a similar statement.
I believe that the IOM bit means whilst the roads are closed, i.e. racing. At any other time, the roads are public highways which would mean they could not exclude cover, unless they do not cover you for the IOM full stop.

Then Triumph Sprint ST with scottoiler and R&Gs & TOR exhaust

Now Benelli Tornado
Gazza77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-08, 09:51 AM   #3
flymo
Mega Poster

Quote:

mmm, interesting. technically the Isle of Man is not a circuit unless the roads are closed to create the circuit.
flymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-08, 10:30 AM   #4
DanAbnormal

If it says it won't cover you on the IOM then that will be at ANY time. It's lame but if you have an accident there just pootling to the post office you won't be covered.
Old 07-04-08, 10:42 AM   #5
flymo
Mega Poster

the wording here is pretty important. If as above it says a road/race circuit then thats the case. When the roads are not closed it is not a road/race circuit.

I'm pretty sure the intent here is to insure you when roads are used as normal public roads but it would be interesting to get clarification.

Nurburgring is different though isnt it as it is a permanent circuit and not used for normal roads.
Old 07-04-08, 10:46 AM   #6
G
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by flymo View Post

Nurburgring is different though isnt it as it is a permanent circuit and not used for normal roads.

The ring is a public road 99% of the time. Its just a Toll Road effectively, buses and coaches use it as a throughfare.
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-08, 06:32 PM   #7
MR UKI (1)

There was an article in MCN about this last year. Probably the one story that was actually true and useful! From memory, most of the insurers provided cover for the Isle of Man, but excluded any accidents on Mad Sunday as they classed the road as a race track for that day.
Old 07-04-08, 06:47 PM   #8
Dangerous Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazza77 View Post
I believe that the IOM bit means whilst the roads are closed, i.e. racing. At any other time, the roads are public highways which would mean they could not exclude cover, unless they do not cover you for the IOM full stop.
+ 1, it either means the entire IOM in general at any time or simply on any of the closed roads on the IOM during the TT races (i.e. the circuit on mad sunday).
Quote:
The ring is a public road 99% of the time. Its just a Toll Road effectively, buses and coaches use it as a throughfare.
Yes, however it is privately owned and thus not technically a public highway.
Old 07-04-08, 07:08 PM   #9
flymo
Mega Poster

Quote:
Ah I didnt know that.