SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 07-11-11, 01:05 PM   #1
Owenski

Default Mould causing ill health

Anyone ever had experiance of it, know what the key symptoms are?

Further to that what did you do about it

What did you learn from it and what would you have done different.
Old 07-11-11, 02:05 PM   #2
Specialone

Default Re: Mould causing ill health

Matt, in the states they have really bad problems with it, It is to be fair partly caused by the construction style of houses.

It can be worse for people with asthma or young children I believe.

If you've got mould, it's either lack of ventilation or a water source, ie a leak or bad damp course etc.

Common on newer houses with cavity wall insulation, new air tight windows and no vents.

There's tons of different strains of mould though and not all are harmful.

Where is the mould?
Old 07-11-11, 02:46 PM   #3
Owenski

In brief - All over.

We've got a crappy tiny cellar which has a spring or something running through it, as fresh as this water is the moisture is obviously absored up the walls and its visible all the way up to our damp proof, which seems to work as the blocks above it which can be seen are uneffected.

I really need to clean all this back and get it painted over but Im looking for product reccomendation, and method suggestions bleach and scrubbing seem to be the favorite followed by gobbo filling the cracks/holes and then coating it all with a suitable paint (about £50 for 5ltr)

The lower portion of our house is stone fronted with no cavity, above that its common block with render coating, again no cavity. The inner face of external walls are really cold to the touch, this causes condensation in places like the kitchen where it obviously gets warm from time to time.
In there we've had the plaster removed, a treatment applied and new damp seals injected. Its then been replastered with mould resistnat stuff. The plaster itsself was then painted with mould resistant paint and finally a colour coat - this seems to have worked a treat along with the 200mm extractor unit I've fitted but at the price it was it would be cheaper to move house than to get the remaineder of the house done.

The upper bedrooms all have problems if items are left in contact with the external walls, its scary how quick stuff in our house gets moldy. Nothing is ever left in contact with these walls anymore, this seems to have helped but still mold spots can be seen in corners and close to the windows despite treated paints etc.

The bathroom is about to be fitted with its 3rd extractor, the first 2 were both 100mm - one was to BS the second was much higher. The third which is on order is a 150mm flowing at 230ltr/hr which for our 2x2x2.4 bathroom way above reccomended (its the same as the kitchen one).

The timbers (even under the house as they're above the damp proof) are all sound the house has been coated externally in what can only be described as laquer in attempt to water proof it but still it seems the moisture is getting through.

I've known we had this problem with the house and its been an on going battle to get rid of it but since Nate was born he's had 2 chest infections. I'm suffering from my 3rd cold and chest infection in as many months, I've been given an inhaler due to the discovery that I have asthma. Its an on going joke between friends of mine that Im a bit of a sick note - the frustrating bit is that I never used to be ill EVER and I mean ever. Then I had liver problems and since then I've regularly gotten ill, but nothing compears to how its been recently, I just cant stay clear of infection or illness for longer than a month.
Old 07-11-11, 03:05 PM   #4
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Matt

I'd get a building surveyor out to look at the cellar and be prepared to spend the reddies. You ideally need to have the spring diverted or covered over.

As Phil's suggested try locking open some windows and allowing air to flow through. How you got your heating set up (run temp etc...).
Matt if you PM after you've finished work or fire up some pics of the mould and its location in the house, also the cellar it'll be easier to give advice on it than guessing

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-11, 03:26 PM   #5
-Ralph-

Both my son and I are asthmatic and we are both very susceptible to chest infections, though him much worse than me. You probably saw my post about his last asthma attack and hospital admission, and he has got another bacterial infection now and we were in hospital again last night until 4am, as he was having breathing difficulty and even 10 puffs of Salbutamol at a time wasn't helping him so off we trotted into A&E for a nebuliser and a course of anti-biotics & steroids.

Now what I am going to post here is not a doctors point of view, it's from experience, and often the only general practitioner that really understands this stuff is one who suffers with it themselves or has kids who suffer from it. Allergy and Asthma is really difficult to diagnose without going for spirometry tests, allergy testing, etc, even then there could be a big difference between test results on a good day and the same tests on a bad day. "Viral Infection" is the default diagnosis for these things, because the doctor can't explain it any other way.

Last night it took about two minutes for the words "viral infection" to come out of the doctors mouth, at which point I told the doctor I wasn't accepting that diagnosis as it was a default answer to everything, he had a temperature of 40 degrees and the doctor hadn't even looked at his throat and ears yet. So he comes back two minutes later, takes one look in his ears and says "yes, that is rather red, and his cough does sound very chesty, is he OK to have penicillin?". Just remember that you know your kids better than the doctor does.

What I say is if you struggle with breathing, your blood oxygen level suffers as a result, it is a recurrent problem, and Salbutamol relieves the symptoms quickly, then from a laymans point of view you ARE asthmatic, regardless of whether the doctor wants to make that diagnosis or not.

Mould will definitely not be helping you IMO, with a baby in the house you need to fix it, and the best man to give advise on that is a grumpy brummie and he's already posting in the thread .

Whenever we have been exposed to mould, even such as staying a weekend in a friends mouldy house, we have struggled with a bad chest, and living with it definitely causes chest infection type symptoms, even though it is probably actually allergy/asthma symptoms. An "infection" as such needs to be caused by a virus or a bacteria, but asthma symptoms themselves can cause wheezing, mucus production in the lung and trachea, and of course this causes coughing. It's your body trying to fight something that it 'thinks' is an infection. In your case you're breathing in mould spores, and your body is reacting badly to it.

What that does also do though is make you more susceptible to any virus or bacteria that does come along, as your body is already trying to fight the allergy/asthma/reaction to the mould, so your immune system is less able to cope with it.

Allergy in particular (and you could both be allergic to mould, and asthma is closely linked to allergy) works on a trigger, and each trigger causes a level of symptoms. So lets say your a bit allergic to dust and on a scale 1 to 10 that affects you as a 2 so it's not really noticeable, other than dust makes you sneeze. Then your allergic to cats too, that affects you at level 5, so runny nose and runny itchy eyes. And your allergic to mould, and that affects you at level 3 and makes you get a cough. The triggers all contribute and build on top of each other, so whilst you can cope with dust, cats, or mould on their own, stick you in a house with all three, and you'll get symptoms at level 8 and think you've got the full on flu virus.

It won't do you any harm to start taking an anti-histamine for a week to see if that helps at all. As for the baby, you just have to do what the doctor advises in terms of drugs and dosage.

Last edited by -Ralph-; 07-11-11 at 03:41 PM.
Old 07-11-11, 03:48 PM   #6
-Ralph-

I'm not even going to try and suggest I know how to sort out the mould, other than the obvious stuff like central heating, keeping steam from escaping from bathrooms and kitchen (door shut, window open, extractor on), and be careful where you hang wet clothes and towels.

But, I did use this stuff to paint the inside of my garage in Scotland recently to prevent water ingress as two of the walls are below ground level. It was fantastic stuff and has worked a treat, the garage is now dry as a bone even after heavy rain.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/cementone-...ufe-5ltr/36405
Old 07-11-11, 03:51 PM   #7
Owenski

a LOT of what you describe ralph makes perfect sense, I do have what I'd call mild allergies so mild they seem to come and go, so mild i dont even think about them until I react to it. I'll sit playing with cats etc until I get a lick off one and go all itchy. Dust well everyone reacts to that from time to time, fortunatly Abi keeps our place pretty damn clean. So I know what you mean by a culmination of these exposures may manefest itself as something much worse.
I've taken anti histamenies in the past, I dont perticuarly notice them working but I sure as hell know when I've had one recently as I get terrible synus pain for days afterwards.

Im heading to the docs now so I will enquire about the allergies, I'll mention the mold too
Old 07-11-11, 04:36 PM   #8
missyburd

While at uni I shared a house with nine other students, it was on the sea front and was always severely battered by the elements. I was fortunate to have a nice big room at the front with big bay windows but the chap in the room next door to me had a room like a box closet, small window and the heating was often on (them mostly being pansy southerners )

We'd been there a year when I and another mate had noticed Dave had started witha funny cough...and that, thinking about it, he'd been coughing for a while (not a phlegm-y cough, just a dry one) and he actually smelt mouldy! We went to investigate and half of his walls and nearly all his ceiling was damp and mouldy. No ventilation (he never opened his window, heating on) and general studently slovenliness had resulted in a horribly musty environment, seriously not healthy. He hadn't a clue, hadn't even noticed the smell or the mould. He tried to deal with it himself not wanting to bother the landlady thinking it was his fault...when we eventually got him to ring her she'd said it happened every year, she just painted over it

Hope you get it sorted Matt, the long term damage mould can inflict really isn't worth it.
Old 07-11-11, 04:56 PM   #9
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

We used to suffer from damp and mould in our flat. Last winter was quite bad.

We ended up buying a dehumidifier and running it over night and into the morning until we both had our showers. Located it centrally. Got rid of all the condensation everywhere in the flat apart from the bathroom when we were having showers.

If you have a house I'd say you'd need one upstairs and one downstairs.

Theres probably other things you can do to your building I guess but a quick and relatively cheap fix is a dehumindifier.

We were extracting around 3l a night.
Smokey Black Burnty 02 - Racetech Smoulderlators + .90kg BBQ Springs, zx10r shockingly toasted, Conti Road Attacks heat up very nicely, R&G Crash Bungs but what f**king use are they, No Colour Matched Hugger, Flame Extenda, Beowulf Titainium Oval Flame Thrower.
Mr Speirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-11, 05:40 PM   #10
Specialone

Matt, I'll drop you a pm in a bit, I'm just waiting to do a bathroom quote so when I get home I'll pm you.