SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-12-18, 12:56 PM   #1
Onen18

Default SV650s 2001 ,Cuts out no Idle

Hi there, please could anybody help here i have got a sv650s 2001 and i have recently had a problem, i was riding and suddenly the engine cut out like there was a fuel problem checked the fuel was fine, my gauge doesnt work.So i started it up again and when i released the throttle it cut out, tried this a few times and it still cut out on releasing the throttle and of course the battery went flat.. So i carried it home and following day started it again and when i revved the throttle its fine till i release it then it cuts out. so i run out of battery. I want to know what could be the problem here is it to do with the charging system or its to do with the fuel.
it starts but can't idle for some reason and the battery going flat after doing it a few times.
Thanks Ken
Old 14-12-18, 05:19 PM   #2
embee
Mega Poster

Default Re: SV650s 2001 ,Cuts out no Idle

You'd be better posting this in one of the other topic headings to be honest, SV Talk for example.
However, my first guess would be to check the choke plungers are closing off properly, I had one sticking and the main symptom was stalling at idle, plus it was spluttering on pick-up.
Usually they stick due to corrosion just where the cable meets the carb body, or sometimes in the cable splitter.
Old 14-12-18, 06:32 PM   #3
Onen18

Thanks will give that a try and see how it goes
Old 14-12-18, 07:49 PM   #4
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee View Post
You'd be better posting this in one of the other topic headings to be honest, SV Talk for example.
However, my first guess would be to check the choke plungers are closing off properly, I had one sticking and the main symptom was stalling at idle, plus it was spluttering on pick-up.
Usually they stick due to corrosion just where the cable meets the carb body, or sometimes in the cable splitter.
Yep, replaced my choke cable as the rear cable was sticking.

Be careful removing the screws out of the carbs, they're very easy to chew up, I replaced mine with stainless steel allen screws
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-18, 08:09 PM   #5
Onen18

Thanks mate i will be careful with it
Old 14-12-18, 08:35 PM   #6
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onen18 View Post
Thanks mate i will be careful with it
The correct type of screwdriver is a JIS type, can't remember the size, but these are the proper ones designed to fit Japanese cross head screws, and are different to Phillips or pozidrive.

Using one of these will help prevent the screws getting chewed up, but they are soft.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-18, 09:53 PM   #7
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Vessel make a JIS screwdriver. Not cheap. I use a Draper 19533 No.2 size, which don't claim to be JIS but I've found the profile to be the same. Not sure what size you need?

The one I got.. a lot cheaper than a Vessel or Park Tool...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DRAPER-19...:rk:2:razz:f:0
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-18, 09:05 AM   #8
Onen18

Thanks mate
Old 15-12-18, 05:00 PM   #9
embee
Mega Poster

Just another comment. I had one occasion with somewhat similar symptoms, it would run under some load but went onto one cylinder at idle (and easily stalled as a result). I thought it would be fuel related because of the symptoms, it happened suddenly during a ride.
After draining carbs, checking idle mixture passages etc it made no difference. Eventually purely as an effort to eliminate the easy stuff I fitted an old pair of plugs and it ran perfectly. After fitting a new pair it continued to run perfectly so it was definitely one of the plugs which had gone down, though I've never experienced a plug failing in quite that way before it clearly can happen.
Try a new pair of plugs first, that's a cheap and easy one.
Old 15-12-18, 06:41 PM   #10
Onen18

Thanks am just waiting for the right day to carry out all these checks and do a full service its due for one