SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-02-05, 05:30 AM   #1
csimmo

Default oxford heated grips fitting?

I have just brought some oxford 2005 model heated grips off ebay (came with free beanie hat). How easy are they to install? do u have to trim down the throttle side grip as im not sure, im waiting for a dry day to fit them as i have no garage, i was out in the snow today fitting a hugger!!!. And attempting to fit a front fender extender with i failed (think pyramid have sent the wrong one).

Where is the best possible place to mount the heated grip tempature switch as it was 5 times larger than i thought it was going to be! any pics or suggestion on where to mount it would be much apreciated

i have the 2000 model sv650s

thanks
Old 15-02-05, 10:51 AM   #2
Oxprod

only modification needed is to remove all the ridges on the throttle slider. I used a dremel to do mine, but you could probably do it with a stanley knife and a big box of plasters.

best place to mount the switch is on the yoke, using the self adhesive back plate.
Old 15-02-05, 05:15 PM   #3
northwind
Mega Poster

Yup, I chopped mine down with a stanley- it's a brittle plastic so it's easy to chip bits off, doesn't take long. You don't need to do them all either IIRC.

And I reckon a better place for the box is down the left hand side, in the hole in the frame near the idle adjuster screw... it's still easy to reach but it's out of sight, and DAMN it's ugly! I couldn't live with it on my yoke

Anyone know if you can dispense with the variable control and ust have a simple on/off?
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-05, 05:25 PM   #4
Aurora

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind
Yup, I chopped mine down with a stanley- it's a brittle plastic so it's easy to chip bits off, doesn't take long. You don't need to do them all either IIRC.

And I reckon a better place for the box is down the left hand side, in the hole in the frame near the idle adjuster screw... it's still easy to reach but it's out of sight, and DAMN it's ugly! I couldn't live with it on my yoke

Anyone know if you can dispense with the variable control and ust have a simple on/off?
T'is pretty ugly on the Yoke
Old 15-02-05, 06:09 PM   #5
csimmo

Thanks for your help , i will have a go at fitting them this weekend, Whats the reason for cutting down the ridges , i dont need to trim the grip itself do i? because i know on some bars you have too.

left bar end weight is very tight and used wd40 etc around screw but i think its pretty seized in . The head on the screw is started to get rounded and im using the biggest screwdriver i can find!
Old 15-02-05, 06:34 PM   #6
northwind
Mega Poster

Got an impact driver? That'd probably shift it... Either that or get a torq screwdriver bit about the size of the hole and just mang it in with a big hammer, then use it to unto it- that's what I did in the end, first time i did it.

You need to cut down the ridges because they're too large for the grip to pass over... Once that's done both grips should fit pretty much perfectly.
Old 15-02-05, 06:40 PM   #7
csimmo

thanks northwind i didnt even know i had to remove those plastic edges i do now though! will have ago at weekend will try the impact driver to see if it will shift that seized bolt.

If i decide to take the heated grips off will i need to replace the plastic throttle part that the edges have been cut off to ensure the standard grips will fit?
Old 15-02-05, 06:51 PM   #8
northwind
Mega Poster

Ehh....

Dunno Might need to use a bit more glue, anyway. It's an excuse to do the R6 throttle swap anyway!
Old 15-02-05, 07:04 PM   #9
Oxprod

first time i've heard someone wanting get rid of heat adjustment! Problem doing that is you'll be forced to keep max temperature all the time, and the new ones get bloody hot to get over the aluminium bar thing. Anyway it can be done by simply swapping the heat controller for the old style switch. Same connectors.

your original grip wont fit once youve given the throttle slider a brazilian, as its a made to measure grip for the slider, but any aftermarket grip will fit. Theres plenty about that look similar to the suziki originals.
Old 15-02-05, 07:05 PM   #10
Cloggsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxprod
first time i've heard someone wanting get rid of heat adjustment! Problem doing that is you'll be forced to keep max temperature all the time, and the new ones get bloody hot to get over the aluminium bar thing. Anyway it can be done by simply swapping the heat controller for the old style switch. Same connectors.

your original grip wont fit once youve given the throttle slider a brazilian, as its a made to measure grip for the slider, but any aftermarket grip will fit. Theres plenty about that look similar to the suziki originals.
Long time no see Oxprod... How's things