SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 02-01-23, 04:00 PM   #1
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default lets talk coffee

i recently acquired a Dualit Coffee Percolator and while its good as i like strong coffee i cant seem to find the right ground coffee. now before some of you smart arzez start with the roast and grind your own beans.. i CBA with that.

so recommendation of a good off the self available in most supermarkets coffee please.

i like strong creamy well balanced with just a little hint of bitterness. my go to instant is kenco smooth red.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-23, 04:18 PM   #2
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Default Re: lets talk coffee

If you want good coffee you need to avoid everything on a supermarket shelf. It will have been roasted many months ago as big box shops buy in bulk every now and then and store it. You want it as fresh as possible or it will taste stale. You also don't want it pre-ground as it goes stale even quicker that way.

Can I suggest you either find a local roastery or buy online from someone like Square Mile Coffee. These types of place put "roasted on" dates on their packets, not best before. Invest too in a bean grinder, manual or conical burr electric, and a simple digital scale. You can then alter your own recipe to get the grind size and dosage ratio the way you like it and the taste will be opened up for you.

If you really CBA to grind your own then a local roastery will do it to the grind size you want to suit your brewer.

Last edited by Sir Trev; 02-01-23 at 04:20 PM.
Sir Trev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-23, 04:31 PM   #3
Bibio
Mega Poster

while i can get a good roastery in Straven, Kirkcaldy seems to be lacking. hence why i'm asking for off the shelf. i tried starbucks and its naff. same goes for sainsburys own and morrisons own.

also the amount i need to put in seems to be a bit much. 90ml of ground per cup still seems week and to get anywhere near what i like its taking a whole container on the peculator to make it good for two cups.

i use two heaped tea spoons of kenco in my coffee with no sugar and a fair bit of milk.

i have been down this road before with french presses.
Old 02-01-23, 05:22 PM   #4
Craig380
Mega Poster

I like the Cafe Direct Mayan Gold (from Sainsbury), but we make it in a cafetiere jug. Can't say how it would go in a percolator.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-23, 07:23 PM   #5
yokohama

Like Sir Trev said, your best bet is mail order from a good roastery and they will grind the beans to the correct size for your percolator. Lots of choice but it's more economical to buy it in kilo bags - cheaper! Give Tynemouth Coffee a try; £20 delivered.
If you really must go supermarket, Lavazza (rossa or crema e gusto ain't bad) or Illy are two of the better brands. However, they are ground quite fine for espresso so I'm not sure whether they'd choke your percolator. 'Union' are also another good brand and usually relatively freshly (for a supermarket) roasted with a roast month on the bag. Plenty different types of beans and Sainsbury's usually stock a good range.
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-23, 11:00 AM   #6
Bibio
Mega Poster

problem with buying in bulk for me is that i only drink two mugs of coffee a day in the morning with my porridge. after that its water or diluting juice.

i tried tat little tip in the link above of pre wetting the coffee today and its actually a lot better. i'll persevere with different brands and i'll give that Mayan Gold (which i did look at) a try next.

i might go and talk to the guy in the coffee place in Straven or Fower the roaster about some testers. i would rather it was Roasted as the bloke that owns it does a lot for the community.
Old 03-01-23, 11:06 AM   #7
Bibio
Mega Poster

now who has tried one cup coffee filters e.g. small coffee filters that you put in a cup/mug and pour boiling water in.

Last edited by Bibio; 03-01-23 at 11:08 AM.
Old 03-01-23, 11:29 AM   #8
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
now who has tried one cup coffee filters e.g. small coffee filters that you put in a cup/mug and pour boiling water in.
Those are known as V60's, from the models produced by Hario. I have one of these and they make great coffee. They use a grind size between espresso and french press (cafetierre) and the used grinds and paper go into the compost heap.

Like you I only make one/two cups a day so tend to buy two 350g bags at a time which last me a couple of months. The front man for the roastery I use (Square Mile) is James Hoffman, former Barista of the Year, and a strangely compelling YouTuber. Have a look at his vids as he has reviews of kit and methods for brewing which are very informative. Make sure you don't watch Hames Joffman vids by mistake - this is a parody account which, once you watch a few of the real ones, is very funny.
Old 03-01-23, 11:44 AM   #9
Bibio
Mega Poster

i'll give those James Hoffman vids a go later.
Old 04-01-23, 09:42 AM   #10
Bibio
Mega Poster

well i tried that cafe direct Mayan Gold, for me its pizz weak. no bitterness and smooth but no deep dark coffee taste. i would not rate it a 5 strength, more like a 2.

when i'm in costa or other coffee places i always ask for a double shot americano as one shot are always too weak.