SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-12-06, 01:26 PM   #1
Dee4Life

Default Advice for novice

I'd really appreciate some advice from you more experienced bike owners re some basic maintentance for my bike. I've had my new SV650s for about 5 weeks, took it out this morning, first time it's really been out on wet roads and when i came back it was filthy.

Gave it a wash ( soap & water ), but just wanted to know what i should be lubricating/oiling ( chain etc ? ) and what i should be using to do the job

Any help would be much appreciated

Old 22-12-06, 01:31 PM   #2
Alpinestarhero

I spray WD-40 on the chain and on other vulnerable areas (shock, forks etc) after i wash it - jus avoid the tyres and brake-discs

Matt
Old 22-12-06, 01:33 PM   #3
Baph

Any oil will do as far as lubricant.

Some folks use stuff like chainsaw oil, some use old (used) engine oil from anything, me? just some standard 10w40 oil I picked up in the shop.

Up to you how you get it on, so long as all of it (both sides) is covered. Push the bike back & forth to make sure you get at all the chain.

If you're going to be out riding regularly, cleaning & lubricating should be about all you'd need. But also consider a coat of ACF50 for this time of year.

And be careful if you are out & about in this weather, the roads be a slippy!

EDIT: Alpinestarhero, be careful with that WD40 on the chain, it aint too good! There was a thread on it not so long back.
Old 22-12-06, 01:38 PM   #4
zunkus

You did well from the start. best maintenance is washing er up. When you're on the job of cleaning you'll notice what doesn't look right, like oil leaks, un-oiled/rusty chain, un-tight bolts low tires. Well you don't have to be an expert to notice things which aren't ok. Good luck to you and welcome friend!
Old 22-12-06, 01:40 PM   #5
tricky

Lube the chain every 200 miles or so.
If you do a search you'll find one or two intense debates on whether WD40 is an effective chain lube or not and whether it damages your chain of not.
I've always used it to clean my chain before applying specific motorcycle chan lube.

I always give the fork legs, engine, swingarm etc a wipe down with WD40 after I've washed it.
If your using the bike all year round you might want to consider using ACF 50 or something similar for corrosion protection.

I always give my gear/brake (and anything else that needs to) pivot(s) a quick squirt of spray grease after I've washed it (chainlube is a reasonable substitute if you don't have any spray grease).
Old 22-12-06, 01:59 PM   #6
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

If it's new,don't forget to have the first 600 mile service done at the dealer.As for the chain,lube it little and often.Don't much matter what with as long as it's got some on it.
Old 22-12-06, 03:13 PM   #7
Razor

RTFM

Seriously, you won't think of questions to ask folk on here before something can go wrong. You need to be on intimate terms with your bike especially your first bike. Haynes or Suzuki, preferably both.
Old 22-12-06, 03:15 PM   #8
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Default Re: Advice for novice

Wash weekly or in this weather as often as possible.

I use Muc off to get the worst of the dirt off and then wash by hand with some bike shampoo, I like the Autoglym stuff best. To clean the chain I use a product called Parasene that you can get from B & Q, its got parafin in it and its cheap. WD40 is to expensive to use as a chain cleaner IMHO. Once I'm done I give it a rinse with the hose pipe to wash all the dirt off properly.

When dry treat with Scotoiler FS365 or if you can get it ACF-50 it'll keep the salt from corroding your bike. I clean and lube the chain weekly on our bikes as the scotoiler ( automatic chain lubricatin system ) takes care of it otherwise, But with the roads being so mucky I give the chain a clean with parafin and a good lube each weekend. We've got Scotoilers on all our bikes which helps with the chain maitenance but with Liz doing some many miles her chain is always manky at the end of the week. If you havent got a scotoiler dont worry just get some chain lube and after a ride when the chains warm spray it on. Some people use chain wax but I choose not to. Doesnt matter what lube you use as long as you use something. As others have said lube the pivot points on the gear and brake levers, Dont forget about the front brake and clutch levers now and again to.

Whilst I'm washing I have a good look round the bike checking for loose bits and pieces, stuff stuck in the tyres, I check the chain tension and the tread levels on the tyres to. Also check the tyre pressures whilst I'm doing this to. I check the engine oil levels every week to.

The most useful thing I've got for cleaning is my paddock stand, it makes the whole process of cleaning and oiling the chain so much easier.

It doesnt take long only an hour or so and that little niggle that you spot when cleaning can often be fixed cheaply rather than being missed and then turning into a big expensive problem to fix. Regular preventative maintenance is your friend.

HTH

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-06, 03:55 PM   #9
tricky

Default Re: Advice for novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel
The most useful thing I've got for cleaning is my paddock stand, it makes the whole process of cleaning and oiling the chain so much easier.
Damn good point, makes things so much easier.

Must get some Parasene too
Old 22-12-06, 04:18 PM   #10
mysteryjimbo

hahahaa. Wash it weekly??

Spring my dear boy. Spring.