SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 28-10-07, 03:07 PM   #1
scooby2102

Default wood burning stove in garage...

do any of you have a wood burning stove in the garage

have been thinking of it but finding it hard to get details ref insurance etc since there's bikes, various chemicals (cleanin stuff) etc kept in the garage as well

I keep it heated at the mo with 2 of them tube type heaters on 24/7 and usually set a fan type heater to cut in if the temp goes below 5c

costs a fortune in leccy and local companies want a grand to fit a gas heater, thats with me even digging the trench for them to lay the pipework.

any idea's anyone ?
Old 28-10-07, 03:12 PM   #2
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

Default Re: wood burning stove in garage...

space heaters are ok, i have a little one that manages to heat up my double garage in about 10 mins then you can switch it off

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Wideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-07, 03:22 PM   #3
scooby2102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wideboy View Post
space heaters are ok, i have a little one that manages to heat up my double garage in about 10 mins then you can switch it off
the heaters I have do the job but the reason I ask about the stove is that I have a never ending supply of wood therefore I could keep it burning 24/7 with just about nil expense (apart from buying the stove)
Old 28-10-07, 03:27 PM   #4
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

ah right, in theory it can be done, my building regs knowledge isnt much but i think theres no problem there (don't take my word on it though), as for insurance, they would either refuse to insure you or bump your premium up, i know of people that have done with with there central heating but the stove is outside in a sort of out house.

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Wideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-07, 03:27 PM   #5
seedy100

Have a look here

http://www.stovesonline.co.uk

I used this site when deciding on a stove for my lounge.
In the end I went for a coal effect gas fired "Brunel" stove
Old 28-10-07, 03:30 PM   #6
scooby2102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wideboy View Post
ah right, in theory it can be done, my building regs knowledge isnt much but i think theres no problem there (don't take my word on it though), as for insurance, they would either refuse to insure you or bump your premium up, i know of people that have done with with there central heating but the stove is outside in a sort of out house.

the one I was looking at is from machinemart and the photo's actually show it in a house so it defo looks safe enough providing the guidlines regarding fitting are adhered to

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...-iron-stoves-2

Last edited by scooby2102; 28-10-07 at 03:33 PM.
Old 28-10-07, 03:33 PM   #7
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Well I think you are on a loser with the stove. Petrol / oil etc with a naked flame is well dodgy and would probbly invalidate your insurance. However, there are practical limits to installing a wood burner as well. Assuming you can use an insulated flue for a chimney, you need to ensure adequate ventilation to feed the fire (probably not a problem in a draughty garage), integrity of all the seals etc. Finally you will need to get a HETA certificate for the installation, that it meets current building regs.

Would fitting a gas wall heater type thing running off bottled gas be cheaper to install? The bottled gas is pretty cheap. The bottles are stored outside and the gas plumbed into the heater.

But if you are looking to reduce your heating costs, wouldn't insulating the garage be more cost effective?

PS Where you gonna get your wood from?
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Last edited by Luckypants; 28-10-07 at 03:35 PM.
Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-07, 03:42 PM   #8
scooby2102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
Assuming you can use an insulated flue for a chimney, you need to ensure adequate ventilation to feed the fire
But if you are looking to reduce your heating costs, wouldn't insulating the garage be more cost effective?

PS Where you gonna get your wood from?
1. can use an insulated flue/chimney - the garage is pre-cast concrete panels with corrugated roof

2. it is fully insulated, all the walls, the roof and the front door, done with kingspan

3. i have just cut down trees around my house (mine of course) so the logs will keep me goin for a wee while, i also live out in the sticks and there's loads of forestry cut offs lying at the roadside (after they have supposed to have been cleared by the workies)
Old 28-10-07, 03:51 PM   #9
scooby2102

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedy100 View Post
Have a look here

http://www.stovesonline.co.uk

I used this site when deciding on a stove for my lounge.
In the end I went for a coal effect gas fired "Brunel" stove

well done seedy, just what I have been looking for, there's a really good section on regs and fitting etc
thanks
Old 28-10-07, 03:56 PM   #10
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby2102 View Post
3. i have just cut down trees around my house (mine of course) so the logs will keep me goin for a wee while, i also live out in the sticks and there's loads of forestry cut offs lying at the roadside (after they have supposed to have been cleared by the workies)
Excellent. Get them cut into logs, stacked and dried (under cover if possible). If you do go for the log burner, the wood will need to very dry (seasoned 2 years most likely - under 25% moisture content) as you will be running the stove on a low setting for long periods of time. Doing this with wood that is not very dry will lead to a build up of tar in the flue, with the attendant danger of a flue fire. The insulated flue is the safest thing in this regard, but it is a real danger.

Oh and if using pine from the forestry, that needs to be super dry due to the resins in the wood.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote