SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 06-02-14, 02:58 PM   #21
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Default Re: Buying a CAT D vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doinitmyway View Post
When I was last buying from salvage auctions motorbikes didn't have to be VIC checked to get a logbook. You could just straight apply and pay......
Bikes are different
Old 06-02-14, 10:14 PM   #22
stuR

Cheers all for the helpful responses. Ill have a gander and see what deal can be struck if the car looks good...
Old 07-02-14, 09:31 AM   #23
rowdy

I haven't looked at the ad, but for peace of mind, if I was buying a cat whatever, I would ask the seller for a geometry check, to see if it was straight.
Of course, being a cat d cosmetic only it should be ok but you never know.

As for insurance, there are some you can take out, like gap insurance, but I don't know if they are relevant for cat d vehicles.
For instance, my parents bought a couple of month old focus for 11k.
They paid for the car outright, but took out insurance on it, which cost them 3 or 4 hundred quid, which means if it gets totalled anytime within 3 years they get 11k back for it, and not market value.
Silver pointy sk3, tail tidy, single seat cowl, fairing lowers, smoke double bubble screen, carbon hugger and front mudguard, full race M4 system, K&N filter, GSXR1000K2 forks, wheel and discs, GSXR750 calipers, HEL braided lines, TL1000s clip-ons, Gilles rearsets, Chinese cnc levers, led indies.
rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-14, 02:42 AM   #24
Lozzo

I'll just settle a few misunderstandings here, because my job is dealing with ABI classifications (Categories for those who call them that). I work for the largest remarketers of salvage vehicles in the world, every day I check hundreds of vehicle details and amongst other things I ensure that the category is right for the vehicle/damage/PAV before I authorise them to go to auction. I have to argue classifications with insurance company engineers all the time because I think they might have got it wrong, which they frequently do.

Firstly, every vehicle that an insurance company disposes of as a total loss, regardless of the seriousness of the damage is given a category. Total loss means the insurance company paid out and retained the vehicle, it does not mean it was smashed to bits. Stolen recovered vehicles, mechanically damaged and flooded vehicles are also given category classifications. Sometimes these vehicles have little or no damage, but mostly they do.

Cat D is a vehicle (bike or car or whatever, no difference) that has damage that would cost less than the PAV (pre-Accident Value) to repair, but which the insurance company has decided not to repair. Their decision can be for any reason - in the case of high value cars like Ferraris, Bentleys etc it's because the insured will never accept their vehicle back as repaired and for as long as the insurance company are arguing over it, the insured is sitting in a hire car costing upwards of £500 a day - it is easier and cheaper for the insurance company to get the claim settled and cut their losses by selling the damaged car asap. For lower value vehicles like cheap cars, it's just not worth the aggravation of doing £600 worth of repairs to a £700 car, so they pay out and cut their losses by selling the car on for someone else to repair. Sometimes the owner will just hand the car or bike over to a claims company and never see it again, and then it gets sold on.

I've seen cars and bikes with minor scratches that are Cat D, I've also seen vehicles that have high PAVs with very serious damage that requires a bodyshell swap given Cat D. It all depends on the Pre-Accident Value.

Cat D bikes and cars do not need a VIC check before being put back on the road.

Cat C - a vehicle (bike or car or whatever) that has damage that would cost more than 100% of the PAV. The V5 for Cat C vehicles is returned to DVLA and held by them until the vehicle is ready to go back on the road or is scrapped. Basically, the lower the PAV of the vehicle, the higher the chance of that vehicle getting a Cat C. Old motors like 1996 Peugeot 406s with a dent in a door or wing can easily be given Cat C. they are perfectly fine to drive but not the prettiest. On the flip side I've seen some real shockers given the same classification. Generally, as long as the vehicle is worth repairing and putting back on the road, then it goes Cat C if the repair costs exceed
100% of the PAV.

Cat C vehicles will need to have a VIC check by VOSA before the V5 document will be reissued by DVLA. thois applies to cars and bikes

Cat B - has to be broken for spares and the frame or bodyshell destoyed and VIN tags destroyed at the same time, V5 returned to DVLA as scrapped. Everything else except seat belts, airbags etc can be sold for spares. These vehicles usually have serious damage that makes them not worthwhile or safe once repaired. Usually cars that have caved in roofs or bent floors/chassis rails for which a bodyshell is not available from the manufacturer, or lower value bikes with bent frames etc. Cat B is given to a lot of vehicles when we think the damaged car may be fraudulently used to change a vehicle's identity, ie ringing. We are very aware that not all repairers of damaged vehicles are honest, so if we think that a vehicle is trashed beyond repair, but the identity may be swapped onto a stolen one then we will cat B it to make sure that doesn't happen. Cat B vehicles cannot normally be bought by the public, they have to be sold only to certain licenced vehicle breakers who will send back VIN tags to us for disposal and will ensure the frame or bodyshell is crushed.

Cat A - Burn-outs and severely damaged cars that have little or no resaleable parts left and vehicles in which there has been a fatality. These get crushed as is and no parts are removed. VIN tags are removed and destroyed, V5 goes to DVLA as scrapped. The trade can't even buy these, we dispose of them ourself.

That is it. It's not Cat D is cosmetic, Cat C is structural etc, it all depends on repair costs against the pre-accident value. Two identical vehicles aged two years apart with exactly the same damage can be Cat C and Cat D purely because one was worth less than the other at the time of the accident.

Bear in mind that many of these vehicles will come with no service history, some have no keys, some have mechanical damage that you can't know about until you've spent a fortune sorting other stuff to get them roadworthy. There are also vehicles like the 2011 R1 I saw the other day that had a tiny dent in the frame from where a handlebar had bent into it as it fell and minor cosmetic damage to the bodywork that £300 would have fixed, it was a Cat C only because the straight but very lightly damaged frame is so expensive to buy new and then there's the cost of stripping the bike down and rebuilding onto a new frame. All it really needed was a new handlebar, and indicator and some paintwork, the footrest wasn't even damaged. It's a minefield and not one I would like to step into without the knowledge I have.

Hope this helps
Old 09-02-14, 02:55 AM   #25
Lozzo

One other thing - Insurance values.

Like Wideboy said, and vehicle that's already got a Cat C or D against it is worthless in the eyes of an insurance company. If that vehicle gets damaged again it almost certainly goes Cat B and the payout is severely reduced because of its history; these vehicles don't even hit bottom trade values, yet they could have been perfectly good vehicles once repaired. When an insurance company calls a vehicle a total loss, you shouldn't buy it unless you fully understand this and understand that a simple dent in a wing could mean that car going to a breakers and you getting very little money back for it. You won't be able to argue it either, all engineers who value vehicles are trained to think the same way and they will not enter into any negotiation on values of previously total loss vehicles, their word is final and I can't blame them for it.
Old 09-02-14, 09:18 AM   #26
ClunkintheUK

Given that a ding would write off a previous total loss, would you insure it fully comp if you bought one Lozzo. I mean you are not gonna claim for your own vehicle unless its a total wreck as it would lose more in claiming and buying a new one.
Old 09-02-14, 09:52 AM   #27
Red ones
Mega Poster

Default Buying a CAT D vehicle

From what Lozzo said that seems illogical.
If insurance value the vehicle very lowly then paying any more for it is overvaluing. Any excess on the vehicle will be a big proportion of the total value of the machine, hence small ding equals write off.

There are 4 scenarios:
Fault accident, TPFT. You pay the excess and bike written off
Non fault & TPFT. You don't pay excess and bike written off.
Fault & Comp. You pay excess and bike written off.
Non fault & Comp. You don't pay excess and bike written off.

Whatever happens, the bike is a write off. That only leaves the excess to consider, and that is defined by the fault/non-fault argument. So only have an accident with another, insured, vehicle and get their details, and make sure they are predominantly at fault. Don't drop the bike, don't let someone knock it over in a parking lot.
You are more likely to be at fault than not. Therefore lower the financial risk and pay as little premium as possible covering only TPFT.
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-14, 10:35 AM   #28
ClunkintheUK

Yeah, that was basically what I was thinking. Sorry not always great at getting it down on paper/screen.

You'll never get the value it is to get something similar to put back on the road, and won;t report a little ding, as you want to keep the bike/car.
Old 09-02-14, 11:32 AM   #29
Mr wilson

Quality! Thanks Lozzo, I love getting information like this from people who actually know what they're talking about. I'll never remember any of it and constantly mis-quote you for ever, but it makes me feel good thinking I know all about it now.

Cheers

Shug
Old 09-02-14, 04:06 PM   #30
Lozzo

Whether you insure fully comp or not is up to you. It all depends on the value and how much you are prepared to lose. If you trash the car through you own fault are you wealthy enough to lose the total value of it as decided by an insurance engineer? That car could still be worth 4 or 5 grand in their eyes, even if a straight unrecorded one is valued at 10 grand.

One thing I would say, avoid anything with a Q plate, regardless of whether you know its history or not. You'll have trouble insuring it as few companies will insure them and you'll most likely only get third party only cover. I recently bought a 1988 Yamaha TDR250 on a Q plate and its value is £750 maximum. If it gets damaged by a third party it's going to a breakers or I'll never be able to insure it again with a Q plate and a Cat D or C against it. It's easier and cheaper for me to buy a frame with V5 and swap all the bits onto that frame, because for £250 outlay and a couple of day's work I can then insure it fully comp and its value rises to over £2500 purely because it has an E registration not a Q.