SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 25-08-18, 05:30 PM   #1
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Sports

can people explain what's so exciting to them about watching sports like moto gp, snooker or football etc.etc.

i personally dont get it, its like watching paint dry especially cricket which is just as boring if not more so than snooker.

give me a reason to change...
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-18, 05:33 PM   #2
pookie

Default Re: Sports

No don't go changing
Now - 2010 Triton blue sv650s -Back to the future
pookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-18, 10:00 PM   #3
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

It is entertaining to watch people at the top of their game, but otherwise I'm a doer not a watcher. Crciket, snooker, golf... zzzzzzz on all levels
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-18, 04:39 AM   #4
kaivalagi
Mega Poster

I can understand watching highlights for some sports, but I agree, most of the time watching in real time it's very very boring...

The only thing I find I can watch real time is sevens rugby, 7 minutes a side and fast paced, with a lot of countries playing over 2 days, that to me is doable.

Triumph and Suzuki owner
kaivalagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-18, 09:25 AM   #5
littleoldman2
Mega Poster

Location: Cramlington Northumberland where we are truely blessed

We live at a time when we are lucky that we are bombarded with cheap or free entertainment. I often have F1 free practice, build ups, pre shows on in the background and listen whilst doing other stuff. Today I will have on the moto go followed by F1. Only because the forecast on the hills is dire or I'd be out on the bike.
Cannot remember the last time I watched a film of a live drama on TV. Prior to January we often didn't have the telly on for 2 or 3 days at a time.
I don't like cricket and don't watch it on TV but as a young man living in Nottingham it was a good afternoon in the sun with friends and beer at Trent Bridge.
Old 26-08-18, 10:07 AM   #6
Red ones
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleoldman2 View Post
We live at a time when we are lucky that we are bombarded with cheap or free entertainment.
This is one of my pet grumbles. Its not that cheap.
Take football as a (probably the most extreme) example. If you have subscription TV then you pay for the football whether to subscribe to the football channels or not. It has to be that way. The sums paid by the TV companies for the broadcast rights are higher than they can ever possibly recover from the subscribers, so they have to add some of the cost of the rights to everyone's package. They are squeezed on what they can screw out of advertising in a market where advertising is getting cheaper and cheaper, but even that cost comes back to you the consumer.
So I may only want to watch BBC1, ITV etc but I still have to pay for Premier League.

Is it any wonder that subscription TV sports packages are dropping in popularity and people are walking away from them?

To make even clearer, Premier League matches, if you can get a ticket, are often £30 - £50 although a lot fill on season tickets which can be £1,000, but half of the teams would make a profit without the ticket income (even with the running costs of the stadia). When challenged on the cost the clubs quote high running costs (I wonder if the ridiculous salaries have anything to do with that?). But if they turn a profit without the fans in the seats surely they can reduce the cost of the seats and still turn a profit. Nothing matches to the fan experience in the stands, the atmosphere, the sound, the spectacle etc, but the pricing doesn't encourage the visit.

Then there are sports that are better on TV. If you watch motor racing trackside, yes the sound, the smell etc, but the action is ALWAYS on the other side of the track wherever you are
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-18, 10:55 AM   #7
kaivalagi
Mega Poster

You don't have to pay for TV if you don't want (except for a BBC TV licence if that's what you watch), you can watch via freeview or via internet streaming (tvplayer app and the various channel based apps for catch-up), which is what I now do. I have fire TV boxes for streaming content and use Kodi on them to stream local media files I keep too.

Triumph and Suzuki owner
kaivalagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-18, 11:07 AM   #8
Talking Heads

You either get a sport or you don't.
I really enjoy watching cricket, simple yet very complex.TdF is something I look forward to.I enjoy MotoGP, am not much interested in superbikes and have a real dislike of the TT, speedway I used to go watch Glasgow Tigers.
MotoGP I mostly watch the highlights show, if BT/Dorna did a pay per view option they would possibly have me as a customer.

youtube-dl is a handy cli tool for Linux.

Last edited by Talking Heads; 26-08-18 at 11:12 AM.
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-18, 11:49 AM   #9
Red ones
Mega Poster

Don't start me on Kodi an TVPlayer. Is it just me or do they really have an awful UI?
Kodi needs a degree to find anything in less than 15 hours of searching. TVPlayer likes to stop if you don't press a button every nanosecond, do it encourages channel hopping like a frog.
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-18, 12:05 PM   #10
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red ones View Post
Don't start me on Kodi an TVPlayer. Is it just me or do they really have an awful UI?
Kodi needs a degree to find anything in less than 15 hours of searching. TVPlayer likes to stop if you don't press a button every nanosecond, do it encourages channel hopping like a frog.
your using the wrong skin for kodi then. yes the default GUI on kodi is shocking.

i love kodi as a media browser but i only watch local media as i use the netflix app and freesat on the tv for everything else.

back to watching sports.. i still dont get it.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote