SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-03-19, 12:28 PM   #11
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: Dropping your bike and garage woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigg View Post
whats the date code on the tyres..? how old are they?

i had a set of 2012 dated Metzlers on my VFR last year, and they were like riding on Ice...
+1

Even leaving bike in garage for 5 months or so over winter can make tyre surface a bit shiny, I always take it very easy for first 10 miles or so when I first take bike out after winter ( good advice anyway to get some skills back) and give the tyres as much road contact all over as I can ( even staying more upright to lean the bike over more MotoX style ).

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-19, 12:42 PM   #12
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

People often forget or don't know that tyres have an optimal heat hysterisis running temp.

I've checked several of my Motorcycles tyres over the years with an Infra-red temp gun and they all seem to be about 35 DegC when warned up for the Rear and around 23 Deg C for the fronts

It's good advice not to do any harsh cornering or braking when setting off from cold for at least a good few miles

PS

Infra-Red temp guns are great for finding a Cylinder that is mis-firing/cutting out on Multi-cylinder machines.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Temp-Mete...YAAOSwGdhbMgpF

Just point at a down-pipe and the bad one will be cooler.

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 12-03-19 at 12:54 PM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-19, 03:15 PM   #13
punyXpress
Mega Poster

. . spit on the down pipe is cheaper!
Old 12-03-19, 05:02 PM   #14
Mega Poster

Sounds like old tyres to me. A wet garage floor isn't going to cause you to lock up and drop the bike when on the way back from a ride. Think about how much petrol slime you're picking up when sticking petrol in the bike. It's gone within a few meters of riding.

So I say check the tyres code, it lets you know the age.

Another thing, braking isn't just dependent on your calipers - the amount of fork travel, pad temp (I'm assuming they're HH sintered, something people seem to obsess over - that gives zero benefit on the road and arguably detracts from braking ability in anything other than optimal ambient temperatures and almost traffic free riding), Tyre temp and quality all play a part.

But start with the simple stuff.
Old 12-03-19, 06:03 PM   #15
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Yes the manufacturers standard pads are probably the best for everyday riding, you should not need to get them hot like sintered ones need, and if you are using your brakes often and heavily enough to get them hot on normal road riding you probably need to revise your riding style a bit....especially with the amount of engine braking available on SV

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-19, 08:04 PM   #16
daktulos

Thanks for all the replies - I've been away for a week and just caught up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigg View Post
whats the date code on the tyres..? how old are they?

i had a set of 2012 dated Metzlers on my VFR last year, and they were like riding on Ice...
I've not checked the code, but I will. I bought them three years ago, so hopefully aren't much older than that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
you say its a council garage.. then its up to the council to upkeep it. give them a phone and tell them the problem. remember you pay rent for that space.
Unfortunately, I read somewhere that someone was kicked out of their garage for using it for motorcycles (I have no idea why - I couldn't find any reference to it anywhere in the documents). However, they definitely don't allow storage (which I also use the garage for) so I'm not going to cause any trouble. There's a high demand for garages and I can't really afford to lose it.

Ta!
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-19, 08:43 AM   #17
Mega Poster

Ok, so the tyres are three years old. So, no - it won't be those.

This is a non-issue. You've had an unlucky lock up. Happens to all of us.

Build your confidence back up by getting on a quiet bit of road, hitting 70mph and learning to brake gradually and firmly again. Stick your legs out if you're not confident the front will hold, as soon as it slips, let off the brake and the bike'll pop upright again.
Old 19-03-19, 09:23 AM   #18
daktulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by 650 View Post
Ok, so the tyres are three years old. So, no - it won't be those.

This is a non-issue. You've had an unlucky lock up. Happens to all of us.

Build your confidence back up by getting on a quiet bit of road, hitting 70mph and learning to brake gradually and firmly again. Stick your legs out if you're not confident the front will hold, as soon as it slips, let off the brake and the bike'll pop upright again.
Thanks - I will. I may give the tyres a wipe down, which will help at least for psychological reasons. I'll probably give the garage floor a clean and clear some of the mess up. It all can't hurt, but you're right - I just need to rebuild confidence in the tyres.

Thanks.
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-19, 09:47 AM   #19
Mega Poster

Good stuff.

I was taking a sharp left turn that I take every day, same line...always. Took it one day a couple of weeks back and the front washed out quickly. I kept the bike upright - no idea what caused it, couldn't see anything greasy. Conditions were warm and dry....so who knows. Just happens, it's about your reaction to the slide, rather than expecting it to happen.