SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-01-08, 10:23 AM   #1
Baph

Default Considering a new bike, ST1100, thoughts?

Right, I'm considering a change of bike away from the SV, but I thought I'd ask for an opinion first. So naturally the org is my first port of call. Apologies if this shouldn't be in Bikes, but seemed most fitting There's nothing wrong with the SV, I just fancy a change, and may well even keep the SV as a play bike, using the new bike as a commuter.

The bike I'm thinking of getting is the Honda ST110 Pan Euro, but I know next to nothing about the innards of the bike. I would assume reliability is typical of Honda standard.

The bike(s) I'm looking at, are ex MOD police bikes, so they have less milage than you'd expect, are pretty cheap, and regularly serviced. As a hint at the price, I'm looking around £3000 for what looks to be a mint (from the basic pictures I've seen) condition '01 model.

Anyone have any opinion on these bikes (either due to experience of them or otherwise - but please state if you're speculating or not)? Anything I should be aware of (other than the weave issues) before buying?

Naturally I'm going to hit the ST forums as well, but I would imagine they might be a little biased.

Thanks in advance
Old 27-01-08, 10:55 AM   #2
mister c
Mega Poster

Default Re: Considering a new bike, ST1100, thoughts?

mate of mine has had a pan for a few years now and still loves it. check exhaust collector box, they cost an arm and a leg and rust fairly quick, other than normal servicing costs, he's had no other complaints & it's used every day.
mister c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-08, 10:55 AM   #3
-Ralph-

Have done a few miles pillion on an ST1100 but it was 1990/91 or so, they were brand new out and I was about 14/15 years old. So I'm not much help I'm afraid.

I do remember them being very big, very smooth and very comfy (send you to sleep on pillion comfy).
Old 27-01-08, 11:07 AM   #4
Baph

Thanks for the feedback so far guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post
I do remember them being very big, very smooth and very comfy (send you to sleep on pillion comfy).
I'm looking at ex-MOD police bikes, so they have the hump instead of the pillion seat. It does mean they come with 100L of storage space though, which should be enough to hide most pillions inside!
Old 27-01-08, 11:14 AM   #5
steveg

Hi Balph ,
I too have been thinking of another bike , I 'm still pleased with the sv however need something bigger to go touring with wife on board adn I do find the sv a bit small for my frame.

I've been thinking of a BMW R1100s , however I guess the Pan would be great , a mate of mine has one , has owned lots of bikes and rates it the best bike he has had

The ex MOD bikes look good value at a show I went to they were selling ex police , ex Mod bikes , Pans, blackbirds , BMW's , I think mileages were 40 -50 k & as are fully serviced would make a great buy .

Trouble is I guess your sv will be +30k miles so not sure how much its worth I would guess about 2300 ? Might well be worth keeping it aswell , ( second fun bike / track day bike)

Good luck with your search

Cheers Steve

Now Triumph sprint 1050 ABS 05 Reg

AKA Papa Smurf
steveg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-08, 11:22 AM   #6
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveg View Post
The ex MOD bikes look good value at a show I went to they were selling ex police , ex Mod bikes , Pans, blackbirds , BMW's , I think mileages were 40 -50 k & as are fully serviced would make a great buy .

Trouble is I guess your sv will be +30k miles so not sure how much its worth I would guess about 2300 ? Might well be worth keeping it aswell , ( second fun bike / track day bike)
You're spot on, my bike is almost hitting 30k miles, and if I sell it, I'm only expecting around £2k for it. First years depreciation plus high mileage. There's also some minor work I'd want to do on it before selling it.

As for the bikes I'm looking at, there's two at the same sort of price, one has 11k miles, the other, 16k miles. Both are '01 models. Hence why I'm so tempted...

I'm not sure if the civilian spec gets it as well, but the military spec has 2 fuel tanks, meaning 29L of fuel and a range of around 330miles to the tank.
Old 27-01-08, 11:51 AM   #7
Ch00

I have ridden a pan ST1100 for a week it was on a T plate and had done 82000 miles and it was great, fast always has more than enough power only a 5 speed though and the dont have the best turning circle compared to others. I have also ridden the BMW R1100RT and the 1150 and the pan left them for dead. They also a lot smoother than the BMWs.

Was only allowed to do 110-120 mph on them so I dont know a top speed.

Ch00
Old 27-01-08, 11:52 AM   #8
lookskyward1

My mate had one about 5 years ago, it was a 1990 model with 100k on the clock. If you covered over the registration plate and the speedo you would have thought it was only a 3 yr old bike, it's build quality and finish was fantastic. At the time I had a FJ1200 which was a tatty rot box in comparison. In 1993 we both took part in the Round Britain Rally knocking up a fantastic amount of miles, the ST did it without incident.

As I recall he had to pay out for an exhaust collector and little else apart from the normal serrvice parts.

His only problem was the overall weight of the bike, it was well ballanced but awkward at very slow manouvering speeds. I think you will love the bike if it suits your riding syle, the magazine reviews over the years have found little fault with it. As for the 'laden weave' as far as I know this has only affected emergency equipped bikes with all the weight they carry at very high speed.

Last edited by lookskyward1; 27-01-08 at 12:39 PM.
Old 27-01-08, 11:52 AM   #9
Ch00

I would also look at a FJR 1300 (Yamaha) as this is lighter than a pan and has had some excellent reviews to the point where I have started to think about getting one.
Old 27-01-08, 11:55 AM   #10
Ch00

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookskyward1 View Post
As for the 'laden weave' as far as I know this has only affected emergency equipped bikes with all the weight they carry at very high speed.
Thats due to the siren cone as it works as a air trap. Does make for an intresting ride at speed. Does not affect the standards ones.

Ch00