SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-04-05, 10:40 AM   #1
Wiltshire7

Default cleaning leathers

Can anyone recommend some cleaning and treatment products for leathers please?

mine are filthy and i havnt put anything on em since i bought em.

cheers.
Old 07-04-05, 10:50 AM   #2
Ceri JC

Ride in the rain

Seriously, I've never washed mine, despite riding through most of the winter, and they look fine. Lots of textile suits recommend just cold water, hand washed, maybe with a mild detergent not sure about leather though- I clean my jackets with cold water on a cloth, they're pretty much "wipe clean".

Remove your CE armour before doing any cleaning and obviously make sure the pockets are empty. When drying leather, dry it gradually- don't stick it on a radiator as it may crack/weaken the leather.
Old 07-04-05, 10:54 AM   #3
CRONOS 2

Renapur worked well for me until my mrs lost it
At about £10 a tub it's not cheap but a tub will last years. Cleans, feeds and adds a little showerproofing.
Can be bought at most major bike shows.
Old 07-04-05, 10:54 AM   #4
Carsick

Wipe them down and use saddle soap (I think alot of people call it dobbo)
Old 07-04-05, 10:55 AM   #5
Iansv

I picked up some saddle soap from Robery Dyas yesterday, not had a chance to test it yet
Old 07-04-05, 10:58 AM   #6
BillyC
Mega Poster

DON'T put it in the wash.

Assuming you just want to clean off the road grime that's accumulated on your leathers.

Most of this will just be dried on salt and grit. Get a good cloth, and some hot water, and start wiping down the leathers - you'll probably need some elbow grease for the harder bits. Keep a towel handy and just wipe off the surface water once you've cleaned an area.

That should get the msot of it off... but if you're still keen, head down to your dealer and pick up some leather cleaning and care products - this will remove the final rubbish, and return your leathers to a nearly new state. A good idea to get some leather waterproofing treatment too - renews the wax in the leather.
Old 07-04-05, 11:11 AM   #7
Mr Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRONOS 2
Renapur worked well for me until my mrs lost it
At about £10 a tub it's not cheap but a tub will last years. Cleans, feeds and adds a little showerproofing.
Can be bought at most major bike shows.

Renapur - it's the dogs
Old 07-04-05, 11:11 AM   #8
Wiltshire7

hm, wiping it sounds good to me.

is there anything in particular i should look for in a treatment product if i want to bring it to a nearly new state? that showerproofing sounds bloody good too!
Old 07-04-05, 11:15 AM   #9
Dante

Baby wipes.

Brilliant. Get the ones with the moisturiser but no fragrance (unless you want the mincers chasing you down the road).
Old 07-04-05, 12:49 PM   #10
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

For half decent showerproofing and suplety at the same time try Dubbin.

Its a mix of beeswaxes and i dont know what and i use it on all my leather stuff and have done for years before bike leathers.

I've used it on all leather shoes and boots i own, leather jackets and gloves.

Renapur is great stuff, my bro bought a big tub for a nice leather jacket he bought....then he lost the jacket so i nicked the Renapur. Its like really good Dubbin.

then i moved and i aint seen the renaour since
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote