SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-03-06, 04:37 PM   #1
DanAbnormal

Default Bike breaking in thoughts.

This link is rather interesting if nothing else. As I am not the most technically minded of people I'll post it here for you all to discuss. Apologies if it's been done before. Basically it totally goes against what the manufacturers recomend as the engine breaking in period.

http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
Old 15-03-06, 04:57 PM   #2
Skip
Mega Poster

Hehehe - how many times...!

On a similar note - a friend of mine builds race Mini A-series engines and said that the best blocks he can get are ones that have been thrashed to within an inch of their lives - other engine builders have been known to throw a block outside for a few weeks to "weather" them as thats when they are at their best apparently...!
Old 15-03-06, 05:04 PM   #3
jonboy

Motoman is very controversial though I personally think there's more than a little logic in what he says.

However, the best break in secret sv_dan is to not change your first lot of oil at nearly 800 miles .

Old 15-03-06, 05:07 PM   #4
DanAbnormal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy
Motoman is very controversial though I personally think there's more than a little logic in what he says.

However, the best break in secret sv_dan is to not change your first lot of oil at nearly 800 miles .
Hmm, a good point. I'm sure I have not damaged it though as I was very careful with it. Although maybe from what motoman said I should have spanked it hard, the bike of course.
Old 15-03-06, 05:15 PM   #5
jonboy

Oh spanking's good, nowt wrong with that .

Old 15-03-06, 05:19 PM   #6
DanAbnormal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy
Oh spanking's good, nowt wrong with that .

Ineed. And those monkeys are soo very bad.

Erm..........
Old 15-03-06, 08:31 PM   #7
kwak zzr

thats my engine f@@ked! i took it easy. fast bike mag also did this with 2 gixer 600s 1 thrashed and 1 run in as suzuki says the thrashed one made more bhp but the one run in properly engine was in best overall condition and would have had a longer life span.
Old 15-03-06, 09:32 PM   #8
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

That makes for an interesting read, thanks for posting that up.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-06, 04:47 PM   #9
DanAbnormal

This is what I don't understand. You get all these people doing actual test but they all contradict each other. Surely engines are engines and the results should be the same.