SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Ecosse For all the lads and lassies north of the border

Old 27-06-06, 11:01 PM   #1
stuartyboy

Default Getting nervous now.

I'm in need of a confidence boost. New SV only 5 days away but reading through the forums I'm a bit worried now due to this wee spate of bad luck some of the guys have had. It's dented my confidence a bit.

I went out on my 125 tonight but I was very tentative and felt nervous on the bike.

Have most of guys and gals had offs at some point? Has anyone never had an off in all their time of riding?

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Old 28-06-06, 12:17 AM   #2
Rog

You will at some point in all probability drop your bike. It happens to nearly all of us and can range from an embarassing drop at the traffic lights to the scary off that Big Ape had sometime ago. (most of the offs are the former not the latter)

I personally have had an off on my RS125, going to fast into a corner I didnt know and my inexperience did the rest. came to a stop in a bush with the bike off in the other direction. Luckily mostly my pride and my bike dented and not me.

IMHO most offs are caused by rider error or inexperience. Ride within your own limits and build yourself up slowly to a speed you feel comfortably with.

A comfortable speed for you, coupled with observation and forward planning will see you right in most conditions.

You can do a lot to reduce your risk but you wont remove it completely. Heck if you could, some of the silly grin factor would disappear as well.

Last but not least DONT TRUST CAGERS. Slow down for blind junctions and bends, make yourself as visible as possible and if the worst happens, aim for the gap.
Old 28-06-06, 03:20 AM   #3
l3xus01

dont worry about it just enjoy try and get out with someone experianced helps a lot
Old 28-06-06, 03:24 AM   #4
scooby2102

nah, dont worry about what might never happen, just go ahead and enjoy the new bike

mind and post some piccies when you get it
Old 28-06-06, 04:22 AM   #5
Scooby Drew

Don't ride like a tw@ and you'll be fine, promise
Old 28-06-06, 06:59 AM   #6
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Drew
Don't ride like a tw@ and you'll be fine, promise

the voice of experience there then
Old 28-06-06, 09:15 AM   #7
colinbal4

Motorcycle Roadcraft: The Police Rider's Handbook -- Buy it and read it!
ISBN: 011341143X

http://www.whsmith.co.uk/WHS/Go.asp?...220&Menu=Books

WHSmith shops should stock it. Ignore the picture on the website, the latest revision has a blue cover.

A lot of it is obvious stuff and sometimes a bit boring to read, but each chapter has a few paragraphs that are feckin' invaluable so read it all.

When you pick up your SV, if you don't get given a "A Street, A Track, An open road" DVD, then ask if they have one, if not you can borrow mine. Its not a training video as such, more of a bike version of "Faking it", but contains a few good tips. Don't go and buy it anywhere though, its not exciting enough to go and spend money on.

Most importantly, ride with confidence and really enjoy your riding. Practice the skills in the book and turn them into an art form to be practiced until perfect. If you take control of your environment, you have no reason to be nervous, and you'll have a great time.

Most IAM advanced courses are booked up for this summer, but I'll be doing it next summer. Teaches advanced skills for dealing with traffic, weather, country roads and high speeds.

Have Fun!!
Old 28-06-06, 10:59 AM   #8
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

I went to my first IAM meeting last night, with the first 'Observed' ride on Sunday. They didn't say anything about it could ever possibly be fully booked. I know each area is different and only loosely affiliated to each other so depends where you are. but definitely check it out, there are usually observed rides once a month and you don't have to start at any particular time (e.g. start of summer).
I read somewhere to give a bike to an IAM member to run in - IMO they don't necessary stick to double digit speeds and single digit revs!
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-06, 11:13 AM   #9
colinbal4

Good point, I'd forgotten about that.

Was it an IAM meeting you went to with a training school or a Bike Safe meeting with the police?

The bike safe meetings are a good thing to attend as well. They will give you a one hour lecture and explain some of the things in roadcraft face to face, then will book you in for an assessed ride with the police during which they will be giving you their comments and tips on your riding. see www.bikesafe.co.uk.

Stuartyboy - try to get to a bike safe meeting, a quick call/email to these guys, tell them your in Fife and they'll tell you when/where the next meeting is.

Insp. Colin Shillito - 0131 311 3418/3088
email: colin.shillito@lbp.pnn.police.uk

Or

Constable Douglas Jameson
email: douglas.jameson@lbp.pnn.police.uk
Old 28-06-06, 01:20 PM   #10
northwind
Mega Poster

The SV Ecosse forum is hexed, I tell you. Just crash it now and save time

Really, you will be as dangerous or as safe as you want to be. You acn't eliminate all the risk, but crashes are very rarely about lacking in skill- it's more about going too fast or too hard for the skill you have, and that can happen to a DAS pass or to an IAM instructor with 40 years of experience. Avoid that, and you'll do OK.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote