SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-11-07, 12:35 PM   #1
Pedrosa

Default Biker air bags.

This is more associated presently with racing but I felt the wider audience of IB might just appreciate the topic.

Just watching the 125 qualifying at Valencia and was interested to see that Dainese have several riders using their latest product. The product is an airbag which fits inside the speed hump of the leathers and is activated when a rider falls off.

When inflated the airbag makes the rider look like he has borrowed the shoulder guards from a defensive tight end but they do seem to work very well. They protect the riders shoulders and his neck from flopping bout in the event of a fall.

Not sure what they have to do if they have a slight fall and wish to remount their bike and carry on but I am sure that has been thought about by the makers.

Could this be something that could offer value to us road riders?
Old 03-11-07, 06:25 PM   #2
phil24_7
Mega Poster

Default Re: Biker air bags.

It trickle down eventually no doubt. Cost a fortune at first then after a few years will be more attainable for the rest of us!!!

I'm not here for a long time, I'm here for a good time!

Blue SV650 K3, GSX-R K5 front end, TL1000S clip-ons, lower fairings, seat cowl, gel seat, Pyramid undertray, R&G crash bungs, stainless steel bar ends, full titanium Akrapovic exhaust, Power Commander, clear rear light, flush mount front indys, mini rear indys, Autocom 300 duo intercom, Acumen cat 1 alarm and Micheline Pilot Power 2ct's.
phil24_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-07, 06:39 PM   #3
kwak zzr

good idea really, saves landing on tarmac.
Old 03-11-07, 07:05 PM   #4
Biker_Billy

This must be the same thing that they were talking about during qualifying on Eurosport...?

They (commentators) said that it was being trialled in short circuit racing but was more likely to be used in off roading and road racing...

good idea tho....bit like the gizmo which inflated a bag in the top of the helmet to pop the helmet off an injured rider to avoid further injuries...

maybe joe public will see them soon...?
Old 04-11-07, 04:51 AM   #5
monkey

I've got a massive bubble of love around me so I'm ok thanks.

Didn't someone already bring out an airbag jacket that didn't go down (Excuse the pun) too well?
Old 04-11-07, 10:16 AM   #6
Berlin

They're available now. I saw a jacket the other day that had this system installed. Wasn't very expensive either.

It's going to be difficult to predict which of the many possible ways one leaves the bike and and this system is more useful than others. Unlike a car which switches it's system off below 30 mph, or in the event of a side impact this (I presume) is activated in the same way as a jetski rider coming off with a detachable cord.

The other problem in the future becomes free choice. Will we eventually be forced to use a system like this rather than choosing to out of free will?
Old 04-11-07, 12:51 PM   #7
Korben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlin View Post
They're available now. I saw a jacket the other day that had this system installed. Wasn't very expensive either.

It's going to be difficult to predict which of the many possible ways one leaves the bike and and this system is more useful than others. Unlike a car which switches it's system off below 30 mph, or in the event of a side impact this (I presume) is activated in the same way as a jetski rider coming off with a detachable cord.

The other problem in the future becomes free choice. Will we eventually be forced to use a system like this rather than choosing to out of free will?
American website that sells them is http://www.impactjackets.com/

I had an English website, but I can't find it at the moment. I will look around and see what I can find.

Check out this story from America about one that was tested in a real life situation. http://www.wbaltv.com/news/14328936/detail.html?taf=bal

Now to me they seem like a damn good choice. I like the fact that they won't bother you until you need to use them. You look at spine protectors or full hard plate torso protectors like http://www.alpinestars.com/Bionic_Pr.../p/650655.html You know that these can be uncomfortable to wear, even though they are life saving.

My only issue with the air bag jacket is the lack of protection that it gives your arms.
Old 04-11-07, 12:57 PM   #8
husky03
Mega Poster

The wifes already got a twin set up
husky03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-07, 01:17 PM   #9
Korben

Found UK site

http://www.skellerns.co.uk/worcester/

Click on "Clothing & Acc" which will open a new window, then move cursor over "Hit Air", then click on "Air Bag Jackets"
Old 05-11-07, 10:54 AM   #10
Pedrosa

The brains for the Dainese air bag that was being tested at Valencia is rather complex with parameters set and the use of GPS which all help to trigger the activation of the bag. For road use obviously something less complex linked in to the bikes own wiring via some kind of plug?

I got to thinking about what if they really did make a full suit of this? It would inflate and have you coccooned like a Michelin man? Only problem is although you would be protected from impact injury, a couple of wallops off a car or two and you could bounce your way to a distance of 5 miles or so from the original accidentbefore finally coming to a halt!