SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-12-16, 11:49 PM   #181
L3nny
Mega Poster

Default Re: Test ride challenge

I can see it getting good mpg. Simply because it's so boring you'll never try thrashing it. The storage is handy but just fit a top box to your SV and you've solved that problem.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Old 03-12-16, 11:42 AM   #182
Blapper

I very nearly bought one before the SV because they do 80+MPG easily. Maybe if I was commuting I still would but there would be little pleasure in owning or riding it by comparison to my SV.

1/2 a car engine in a bike? Wtf!
Blapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-16, 03:05 PM   #183
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blapper View Post
I very nearly bought one before the SV because they do 80+MPG easily. Maybe if I was commuting I still would but there would be little pleasure in owning or riding it by comparison to my SV.

1/2 a car engine in a bike? Wtf!
For 7 grand it makes a good commuter bike - you can get a bike that is a lot more fun for that money

http://www.visordown.com/features/ro...-nc750x-review

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 03-12-16 at 03:06 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-16, 12:35 AM   #184
Heorot

My naked K3 is a far better bike for commuting. The NC750 is a gutless dog.

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-16, 07:51 PM   #185
Blapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
For 7 grand it makes a good commuter bike - you can get a bike that is a lot more fun for that money

http://www.visordown.com/features/ro...-nc750x-review
Yeah, 7K versus 1750 for my SV.
Blapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-16, 12:03 PM   #186
STRAMASHER
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3nny View Post
Test 33 Harley Davidson V-Rod 160 Miles

Love where the numberplate is stuck. Imagine how apoplectic our cops would get. Having said that your going that slow they could read it while driving past on the otherside of the road.
STRAMASHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-16, 12:13 PM   #187
L3nny
Mega Poster

Just after I took that picture I realised the number plate bracket had a hinge on it and folded it out
Old 06-05-17, 04:43 PM   #188
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Took the new model V-Strom 650 for a spin today as I've got itchy feet bikewise. Nice to whiz about on a vtwin again and it's a lot smoother than my old curvey. Shame it was a bit too tall for me. The lower seat is not out yet and lower dogbones will mean I can't have the optional centre stand.

Will hopefully get to try the Tiger 800 next weekend and the T100 Bonnie.
Old 07-05-17, 08:54 AM   #189
macamxthe1st

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Trev View Post
Shame it was a bit too tall for me. The lower seat is not out yet and lower dogbones will mean I can't have the optional center stand.
I had a 2015 V-Strom 650 prior to my current SV and it was lowered front and rear. I had the center stand fitted and the only issue was it was a little more difficult to put on the stand (principle of moments) great bike only problem was it was bloody "top heavy" with a full tank. On the subject of Triumph and stands, they have had to replace a couple of frames due to failure of the center stand mounts. The whole sorry tale is available on the Triumph rat forum http://www.triumphrat.net/water-cool...and-issue.html. If you ask a Triumph dealer about it it's a safe bet they will deny all knowledge of it (remember the rear wheel spoke fiasco).
Oh and one more point re test rides, don't forget to ask how much the excess is on the policy covering the test ride. I declined one last week as the excess was £1,000 and as we are all aware any of us are capable of a mishap at any time and even a minor drop can result in a very large bill.

Geoff.

Last edited by macamxthe1st; 07-05-17 at 02:11 PM.
Old 25-02-18, 07:18 PM   #190
yokohama

Default Yamaha XSR 900

Looking for something a little less cramped than the SV and with a bit more leg room so I had a go on one of these today. I’m seriously considering this as my next bike and there are some pretty good pre-reg deals around at the moment.
It’s definitely roomier, very comfortable and no tight angles at the knee joints. The bike is higher than the SV but I can flat foot it easy on this and paddle it around no problem. It’s also light; pretty much comparable with the Suzuki despite the bigger engine and taller look.
I only had it for under an hour so there wasn’t much chance to really put it through its paces but it handles well, is light and very easy to guide through corners. I was mostly on urban roads and only got the chance to try out a couple of the riding modes but these were fine. There is a noticeable difference between standard and B mode. Both were easy to use with no jerkiness or snatchiness but I had to focus on clutch and throttle control a bit more than normal, though that’s par for the course on a new machine I guess. Only stalled it twice. 

What I liked:
  • The triple engine is nice, very smooth and torquey and pulls in any gear. Plenty of power and acceleration on tap. The higher the mode, the quicker and more violently it comes.
  • Gear up and downshifts are smooth, precise and effortless – though there is quite a clunk when it goes into first.
  • Great riding position; upright, comfortable with a good view. I like the retro style and the way the bike looks but prefer the silver colour scheme, with maroon and black seat to the blue. (Don’t like that white stripe on the tank.)
  • Front brakes were good enough for me. There are probably much sharper on other bikes but these are certainly more powerful than the Suzuki and do the job. ABS too.
  • The clock/dash or whatever it’s called is neat, easy to read and it’s nice to have a gear indicator.

What I didn’t like:
  • The mirrors; not much of a rear view, and the shape. Why on a retro bike with curves and circular lights front and rear do they have pointy mirrors on overlong, weak looking spindles?
  • Indicator switch; tiny, difficult to locate and push cleanly in winter gloves and has the horn stupidly located right next to it
  • Rear brake felt vague and needed a lot of effort and travel to bite. Maybe just needs adjusting.
  • No grab rail

What I couldn’t get used to:
  • The electronic throttle. First time using one of these and it feels weird. Very hard to gauge and a lack of feel compared to a cable throttle. It didn’t seem to be consistent with the rev counter either.
  • Downshifting. Still in the habit of a throttle blip when doing this, which has no effect on engine braking at all
  • Engine doesn’t burble; it whines! And it’s quiet. The twin talks to me but I can’t hear this one.

I didn’t fall instantly in love with it but I liked it and would like to get to know it more.
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote