SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-07-08, 11:02 PM   #1
Lafgr8

Thumbs up 2 up riding? Please Help.

I have a 2001 Sv650S and was wondering what I need to do to make it good & safe for my girlfriend to ride on the back? I'm about 300lbs. (I know I'm Fat) and she's about 150 or 160lbs.
Will it stretch my chain out, or mess it up? Suspension? I'm not sure please advise.

Last edited by Lafgr8; 07-07-08 at 11:06 PM.
Old 08-07-08, 12:21 AM   #2
chasey

Default Re: 2 up riding? Please Help.

Harden the rear shock. Higher tire preasures. Headlight beam might need adjusting to point at the road as opposed to in the air (when weight is added to the back).

Best thing to do is ride smoothly and let her build up her confidence. No point going hell for leather and scare the crap out of her on her first ride as pillion.

I could be talking balls with the first paragraph though, I haven't taken anyone pillion. I am sure someone that knows will be along shortly
Old 08-07-08, 12:55 AM   #3
Lafgr8

Is it difficult to stiffen the rear shock?
Old 08-07-08, 07:47 AM   #4
muffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafgr8 View Post
Is it difficult to stiffen the rear shock?
Might mean increase the preload, you need to do that. On a K3 + SV you used a spanner-type tool from the toolkit to move the ring round. On later SVs they might have removed it from the toolkit, certainly have on other Suzuki bikes...
Old 08-07-08, 07:55 AM   #5
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffles View Post
Might mean increase the preload, you need to do that. On a K3 + SV you used a spanner-type tool from the toolkit to move the ring round. On later SVs they might have removed it from the toolkit, certainly have on other Suzuki bikes...
The C-Spanner is still in the K6 toolkit.

Yup, increase pre-load a little, your lights should be fine, but maybe check them before you set off out.

Remember the bike will handle differently due to the offset weight, and it'll take longer to both accelerate and brake.

Take your time to get used to it, and the bike will think nothing of it. No need to worry about the chain etc, just make sure it's properly adjusted before you set off out.
Old 08-07-08, 08:08 AM   #6
Nobbylad
Mega Poster

Love handles/pillion pals...basically a webbed belt that goes round your waist with D-handles on each side for her to hold onto. Makes her feel safer than relying on the grab rails/your jacket.
Nobbylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-08, 08:35 AM   #7
BillyC
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
Yup, increase pre-load a little
I think Baph's advice is a bit too suble.

Given the weight you're already placing on the bike (and this goes for anyone over about 10 to 12 stone)... you should have the shock preload wound up a bit already.

There aren't many positions it can be in, but I'd suggest, particularly when you're carrying a pillion, that this is wound up to the max (tightest). I would also recommend you do this in stages before you take your pillion so that you can get used to it.

Remember what the preload on your suspension is for - while it may feel stiffer when increased, it is the adjustment you use to ensure your suspension sits at the correct height when it is loaded with you on it.

The K1s do not have a preload adjuster on the front forks... but this is perhaps a modification you should consider very seriously and/or spring replacement in your forks. You will get a considerably better riding experience out of it.

All SVs are known for having "light" suspension, design for a rider of about 10 stone... so most people will have to increase the preload.
Old 08-07-08, 08:40 AM   #8
Alpinestarhero

Up the rear preload (i got mine one notch from full (hardness) i.e. position 6 of 7) and just account for the extra weight.

It dosnt really make too much differance to the handling (not that I can really tell, but my shock is tired) but its probably the sensible thing to do. I've done loadsa 2-up miles, including 420 miles at the recent annual rideout weekend. If anything, having Maria pillion made the bike more stable, specialy over bumps and in the high winds. Also, she kept me warm in the rain

Riding alone is great fun, but being able to share the experiance with someone riding pillion wth you is incredible. Just remember you are responsible for your pillions enjoyment, and work out some sort of signal system so they can tell you when they need to get off, when they want you to slow down, when they want to you hurry up and get a move on

Matt
Old 08-07-08, 02:10 PM   #9
BillyC
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinestarhero View Post
It dosnt really make too much differance to the handling (not that I can really tell, but my shock is tired)
Then your shock is probably very tired - as the difference to handling, especially with "spirited riding" should be noticeable. Admitedly not as much as winding in the fork preload, but still make a difference.

Very wise words about being responsible for your pilion's enjoyment. Be smooth, don't go too fast - it takes longer to accelerate and longer to brake. Do these gently, or your pilion will be flying around all over the place. They will need more time to get used to it than you!
Old 08-07-08, 02:18 PM   #10
pencil shavings

and maybe invest in a grippy cover for the rear seat, will help them stay in place aswell, which makes a big difference.