SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 03-08-10, 07:13 PM   #1
-Ralph-

Default More proof that a full service history...

...is not worth the paper it is written on! And you can't trust garages! Learn to service your own car or bike, or find an independent mechanic you can trust! Or at least check everything the garage has done against what your service book and manual says they should have done!

I have a full Vauxhall service history on my 3 yr old, 60k mile, Vauxhall Vectra, so why did it break down on my wife and three year old son today?

Because the OEM General Motors branded spark plugs fitted at the factory, that should have been changed at 40k miles, are still in the bloody thing another service later!!!

Also courtesy of a full main dealer service history...
  • The first service shown on the schedule above, a cheap semi-synthetic was used, I knew this was wrong at that it needed fully synthetic GM-LLA025 specification, so I took it back and make them change it
  • My wife's Seat was serviced with cheap semi-synthetic for 5 years by a main Seat dealer, before I did it for the first time myself and checked what oil I needed to buy, the car should have been running on fully synthetic VW-505 specification. Luckily it has been serviced every year and has never done more than 10k miles between services. Needless to say I now service it myself.
  • My SV was serviced by a main dealer in Edinburgh for 16000 miles, and at 18000 I ran out of clutch adjustment at the lever, so I read up on how to adjust it at the worm drive, and realised that it had never been touched since new, even though it is on the service schedule every 4000 miles. I service that myself now too.
  • My XT600 was serviced for the last two services by a garage in Wales, and has a full service history otherwise (on mileage not age though). The spark plug was fitted incorrectly causing rough running and bad starting, the oil was overfilled by a litre (!) and the air filter has never been changed in 8 years. I didn't even bother going near a dealer for servicing on this one, just serviced it myself and fixed all the dealers problems.

WTF do we pay these people for???

Sorry, had to have a rant.

Last edited by -Ralph-; 03-08-10 at 07:18 PM.
Old 03-08-10, 07:19 PM   #2
Specialone

Default Re: More proof that a full service history...

Gits...
Old 03-08-10, 07:22 PM   #3
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Commendable for modern spark plugs to last 60k!
Old 04-08-10, 12:11 AM   #4
Lozzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post
WTF do we pay some of these people for???
Post corrected.

Please don't tar all dealerships with the same brush.

Kawasaki's service schedule states oil and filter changes every 7500 miles, but everyone who has any mechanical knowledge at our place thinks that is too long for any bike, especially if the bike is not doing lots of miles and could go more than 18 months between services, so we change it at every 3750 miles with the recommended oil and genuine filter. We know it adds another 30 odd quid to the service bill, but we tell the customer that we're doing it and none has expressed any sign of displeasure at it, in fact most are happy we think along those lines.

My friend is sales manager at Bill Smiths in Bangor, their top man in the workshop has numerous awards for being a top technician and their happy customer base supports this. Not all dealers are ripping you off.
Old 04-08-10, 12:14 AM   #5
Lozzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
Commendable for modern spark plugs to last 60k!
I have a suspicion that the ones in my BMW 318i may well have been in there for about the same length of time. I've read some very bad internet reviews of the place where my car used to be serviced, so it's going to get a full one done by me and a BMW trained friend soon. Luckily he has all the right kit and diagnostic equipment.
Old 04-08-10, 06:31 AM   #6
Fizzy Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post
WTF do we pay these people for???

Sorry, had to have a rant.
I share your frustrations - the final straw being when I picked a bike up form a service with 8 psi in the rear tyre. And it had just that minute come back from a test run with the mechanic! Took me about 20m to figure something was very wrong, get off and check the tyre

But that said, I certainly wouldn't rubbish all garages or service histories. Have just been looking at 10-20 yr old Landcruisers, let's just say that we took the one with the immaculate Toyota service history plus receipts for all work done whenever any problem was flagged, over the (several) cars with no service history at all (or one that stopped 68K miles ago!), and which had just been patched up to get through the MOT each year. The difference became painfully obvious in a test drive...

I do find it frustrating though that everything has got all clever in recent years and it makes it hard to do some tasks without the diagnostic equipment, special tools, etc
Old 04-08-10, 07:13 AM   #7
Viney
Mega Poster

Verna Lupo GTI is meant to run some stupidly expensive oil but it runs 10w40 the same as the Polo from whence the engine came. Oil is basicaly oil and as long as they didnt charge you fro fully synth then i wouldnt worry about it. Some of the aftermarket guides are WRONG. AS for the plugs, if they are still servicable, why change them, again as long as they havent charged you for them.

My sv had its 1st set of plugs at 16k and it didnt suffer from it one bit.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-10, 07:22 AM   #8
The Guru

What engines your Vectra got?
Old 04-08-10, 07:38 AM   #9
Owenski

jeez if you didnt have bad luck ralph you would have any.
Old 04-08-10, 08:47 AM   #10
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozzo View Post
Please don't tar all dealerships with the same brush
When all four of my vehicles have not been properly maintained per the service schedule, by four different garages, I struggle not to. I just don't trust any of them anymore. How are you supposed to know if the garage is a good conscientious one, unless you work there or know someone on the inside? Take the vehicle apart and mark all the parts that are supposed to be changed with a permanent pen, then take it apart after and see if they have been changed? Might as well just change them yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viney View Post
Oil is basicaly oil and as long as they didnt charge you fro fully synth then i wouldnt worry about it.
I'd disagree I'm afraid. Most modern vehicles state 20,000 mile service intervals. To do this mileage between oil changes they need a fully synthetic longlife anti-shear oil which is designed for the purpose. My wifes car never did more than 10k between services so no harm has been done. In the Vectra however, it was filled with a traditional bog standard semi-synth at 15k that would need changed after 10-12k miles, but the car wasn't serviced again until 36k. Had I not noticed it on the invoice and insisted that it was changed there and then, I could have done 1000's of miles on oil that was well finished. Do that every service then wonder why you have major engine trouble before 100k?

Now, I know that if you want your car to last ten years and 200k then change the oil every 10k, or every year, but my work contract stipulates that my car must always be under 6 years old and 120k miles, and at 5 years you get an email reminder asking you you think about car shopping.

Most garages also charge fixed price for servicing now, so that means a 20k service as per the manufacturers service schedule for £xxx pounds. Which includes using the manufacturers specified materials. The way these garages are ripping people off is charging the same price, but using cheaper materials. So yes, they have charged for fully synth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guru View Post
What engines your Vectra got?
Z18XER, 1.8 140bhp petrol

Last edited by -Ralph-; 04-08-10 at 08:51 AM.