SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-07-14, 01:39 PM   #1
Foot

Default Bike security

Currently I'm kidding myself thinking my bike is safe enough in Manchester over the summer, in a garage, with an alarm. The
more I've read through posts on here and seen people's signatures with bikes marked as stolen the more I'm starting to worry.

Because I'm a young rider, I can't afford anything other than third party only insurance for this year, nor could I replace
the bike if it was stolen - so it's all or nothing.
So could people detail their own security measures? Or even their experience with having a bike stolen?

I need to buy a chain too. So any advice would be useful. Since a chain shouldn't be something which needs replacing,
I might as well get a good quality one. Anyone had experience with Almax?
http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/index.asp?pg=1
They state their chains are simply the best. Any good alternatives?

And on a very slight side note, soon I finish my degree and I'll be joining the real world of work, and I will eventually
need to get my car licence - and a car. Not a nice thought. Anyway, what are your thoughts on having things like
"Think Bike, Think Biker" bumper stickers? I appreciate seeing them on cars when I'm out, but do you think it's unnecessarily
advertising the fact you (probably) own a bike to potential thieves?

Thanks for replies!
Old 10-07-14, 01:55 PM   #2
timwilky
Mega Poster

Default Re: Bike security

Never had a bike nicked. But seen what happens when 30 plus angry boozed up bikers bust a bike thief, find 4 nicked bikes in his garage and inflict summary justice.

My advice is not to go overboard. My bike has disk lock and steering lock in place in my garage. Anything else would be a waste of time as there are angle grinders, oxyacetylene already in the garage. for others perhaps a ground anchor is useful.

I have the think bike stickers in my cars. It says nothing to a rider except the car owner has been given a sticker. To other drivers it may say open your eyes and look for a change.
Old 10-07-14, 01:56 PM   #3
jambo
Mega Poster

Some thoughts:

You cannot stop your bike being stolen. I know that sounds defeatist, but I know of bikes that have been stolen that were secured to a tree with an Almax chain & lock. God alone knows what they used to get through it, but nothing is impervious.

What you can do is not leave it unlocked in plain sight. Make it awkward. Out of sight out of mind, if people cant see it they don't get ideas about nicking it. Something that stops it being moved is worth more than something that beeps as it is being moved. A decent chain and ground anchor are a good shout. Some of the alarmed disc locks are quite good.

Jambo
Old 10-07-14, 03:19 PM   #4
Red Herring
Mega Poster

The best possible prevention is the thieves not knowing it is there.... so anything you can do to stop it becoming a target is good. If you live in a slightly marginal area, or even next to a main road with passing traffic, try and avoid leaving the garage door up to long or spending to much time polishing it outside the house......I know we all like to show off our pride and joy, but sometimes the wrong people might take an interest.

If you keep it in a remote garage, for example a council block or similar, then just try to make it as difficult as possible for them to either get at it, or if they do get in to get it out. Lock it to something they can't move, or failing that another bike or similar to make it as difficult as possible, and as has been said don't leave a plentiful supply of appropriate tools conveniently in the garage with it.

There are some really good alarms on the market these days that can either make a lot of noise if they open the door, or notify you on your mobile if there isn't likely to be anybody near enough to hear it (or that bothered if they did).
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-14, 04:11 PM   #5
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Good point Nigel, I knew there was a good reason for not cleaning my bike on the driveway.

When we go on holiday in the car I ask a neighbour to park their car in front of our garage door. Makes the house look occupied but also if thieves do get into the garage they then can't get the bikes out.
Old 10-07-14, 06:18 PM   #6
Red ones
Mega Poster

Default Bike security

I used to keep my bikes in a remote garage. One day u got suspicious if someone who seemed a little too interested, so I parked the car against the door that night.

My tip is to consider the excess on the bike and the excess on the car if you do this. It would have been cheaper to lose the bike than it was to get the front end put back on the car following the damage that was done that night.
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-14, 07:34 PM   #7
Tomor
Mega Poster

Hook your garage door up to the mains to be activated when it is over a certain amount opened. Obviously you would have a remote deactivation.
Old 10-07-14, 10:19 PM   #8
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomor View Post
Hook your garage door up to the mains to be activated when it is over a certain amount opened. Obviously you would have a remote deactivation.
That's shocking advice......
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-14, 10:32 PM   #9
The Idle Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomor View Post
Is that still working Tom? When we did it we worried about current flow in the rain and the potential for death of thief. Did you put that step down transforner in line or left it risky?
Old 10-07-14, 11:15 PM   #10
Tomor
Mega Poster

Left it risky. Wouldn't advise attempting to break into my garage I don't like going in there either!!