SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-05-17, 09:36 PM   #21
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Default Re: New A2 rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowanSimps View Post
Hi,

I'm going to be taking my a2 test on Wednesday, afterwards I'm going to be buying an sv650s.

I've had a 125 for nearly 2 years and I sold it when I passed my car test last month. Just wondering if I should be looking out for anything specific sv650's.

Such as common mechanical issues etc.

Cheers!

(I'm looking for a fully faired one with relatively low miles <20000 (Preferably black))
Sorry to hear about your Mod2(Whatever that is<grin>.I passed my Full Motorcycle license 2nd time on a BSA Bantam 175cc D14.Failed my first one as I emergency stopped but put my front wheel on the examiner's toe after he jumped out from behind a car.Heh Heh

As for any problems with SVs as far as I've seen so far there are no inherent problems with any of the models that cannot be put down to lack of care and or maintenance most of which are well within the scope of a home-mechanic.
If you are lacking in motorcycle mechanical skills then that's why there are forums like this for Motorcycles and people like myself and other contributors who are here to help and mentor if required.

Remember that even when you pass and even with a restricted motorcycle the power-jump can be immense and especially with a none,"S" version like mine as the 1st gear is wicked fast.

I've been riding motorcycles on-and-off for over 40 years and here's some things I've learnt that have kept me safe especially on Urban Traffic roads.

1:I'm always surrounded by idiots,

2:I have to anticipate,"Everything" and if I think they are going to do a stupid move,they will.If I don't think they are going to do a stupid move,they will so always be prepared.

3:Even if I had an Aircraft Search light as a Headlight I'm still invisible to most drivers.

4:Never put yourself in a position on the road where you don't have a,"Get-out-of-jail-Free" card e.g keep your distances and keep planning.

Some tricks and tips I use.
When braking with cars behind me coming up to lights say I lightly pull my front brake lever several times to oscillate my rear brake light.Most car drivers are not out to get you but because a bike is a smaller object they need reminding you are there more than a car and this can wake them up from their sleep<grin> and help prevent rear end shunts.

When stopped at lights and I suspect that a a driver does not know I'm there,especially large SUV drivers,I ,"Accidentally" beep my horn and then look sheepish and hold up a hand to make it look like it was a mistake

Sorry if I've been a little verbose but I've known riders move up from smaller bikes to more powerful ones and come a cropper so just trying to aid your future biking

PS
Get used to a great front brake on the SVs.Correctly ridden you barely need the rear brake