SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 17-10-15, 08:01 PM   #3941
pookie

Default Re: The Cycling Thread

Quote:
Enjoy it, upgrade this and that, and you'll get used to its limitations
Sounds very much like an sv

Yes its amazing, the the old adage of never forgetting how to ride a bike. Its been one of the highlights of teaching kids to ride safely on the road knowing that maybe some time later in life they will pick it up again ( whilst enjoying riding now) !
Now - 2010 Triton blue sv650s -Back to the future

Last edited by pookie; 17-10-15 at 08:02 PM.
pookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-15, 08:21 PM   #3942
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
you'll get used to its limitations
That'll be the chimp on top of it Its still a way better bike than the rider. Bit like all the two wheeled toys I have.

sv650s (gone) gsx-r600 (gone) Street R675 (now living in Inbhir Nis )
carelesschucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-15, 12:04 PM   #3943
MattCollins

Here's what we did this morning. Four guys and seven women showed up.

https://goo.gl/maps/GjtQ6CigeQp

It started with a 2000ft climb the highest point in the surrounding hills, then a fast descent to a few km from the coast, coffee and cake, then a quiet ride home. On the climb the pace was being pushed to a brisk 27kph average by the ladies excluding a short competitive section up a 5% grade https://goo.gl/maps/iYUENb52K3n where this morning the average was 38kph... Gasp! This is a no joke top chain ring sprint uphill that took everything I had just to hang on to the back of the front group and it hurt like hell. Total time over the 46km was 1:30 including a couple of short stops on the way up to bring the bunch back together and a lot of traffic stops on the way down which costs a lot of time. The average moving speed was 36kph.

If there was ever a good reason for me to get back into road cycling it was riding with a bunch of super fit women - not to put too fine a point on it, but... dayem they look good! My girlfriend is one of them and rides a Bianchi Infinito (black, red and white... no celeste) with Ultegra Di2 and full carbon wheels that cost more than my whole bike. Thankfully she pays for her own toys. She also does it justice by finishing the competitive 6km section in the front group with the power meter in the 650-800W range.
Sunday mornings are their ride btw and the guys are only well behaved guests. There are a couple of women's groups/clubs/cliques around who exclude men entirely because of poor ride etiquette.
Wednesday mornings are for the guys and we usually cover this https://goo.gl/maps/HbZqdJ11tvu in about 2:15 to 2:30.
Old 18-10-15, 12:40 PM   #3944
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

How different is it riding in a group? I'm not at a level tobbe riding in one yet but I am interested.

Old 18-10-15, 01:47 PM   #3945
maviczap
Mega Poster

It requires practice and knowing how your mates ride, similar to motorbikes, but without brake lights and indicators, so hand signals and hazard calls.

but riding on a wheel takes 20% less effort so long as you can hold the wheel.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-15, 04:34 PM   #3946
MattCollins

Quote:
Originally Posted by carelesschucca View Post
How different is it riding in a group? I'm not at a level tobbe riding in one yet but I am interested.
It depends on the group. Some people turn it into a race and try to blow riders off the back and won't wait for them - it's that etiquette thing I mentioned. The hazard calls and wheel discipline can also be haphazard. Riding in groups like that which is more like racing and can be difficult for a new rider to benefit from, so if you encounter one like that don't go back until you are more accustomed to group riding. When starting out you should want a well disciplined group. Touring riders are not a bad lot to start with.

The groups I'm riding with sets a moderate pace that everyone can handle. When it gets competitive, it is a sprint to a point and then they'll hang around for the slower riders who get to hang on as long as they can then get a second chance. Keep trying... this will improve outright speed and strength.
Riding in a mature group will also provide a constant pace that, drafting aside, will improve and discipline your pace not just in a bunch, but when you're on your own too. Experienced riders will often offer useful tips that will help your riding.

The groups that I have been riding with are well tuned... a tap on the rear brake here, a dropped hand there. I hung off the back until I picked up their routine and sussed out their behaviour. It doesn't take long.
Some of the things to avoid are following the wheel in front too closely (we want a couple of feet), overlapping wheels (big no-no), abrupt changes in speed (eg. backing on a climb - a pause in pedalling while transitioning in or out of the saddle) and half wheeling the rider next to you. These can bring you and/or riders around you down however, the better groups will coach you on the acceptable standard if they're seeing things they don't like.

Last edited by MattCollins; 18-10-15 at 04:36 PM.
Old 18-10-15, 04:50 PM   #3947
MattCollins

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
I bought the green, as they're supposed to be good in the wet

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/swissstop-fl...sku=5360340957

But TBH the standard Ultegra's are very good in the dry and in the wet.

But there's a world of difference between those and the ones Dean has on his B'Twin, as they are a one piece moulded brake block, and a different kind of compound to the higher end brake's.

Thanks for that. I'd guess that Ultegra pads are an option for Dean too.
Old 18-10-15, 06:02 PM   #3948
pookie

When riding in a group you can get the benefit of a tow when you are out of juice. Also makes riding less of a mental chore..I get bored of my own company if its longer than 1.5hrs .
Now - 2010 Triton blue sv650s -Back to the future

Last edited by pookie; 18-10-15 at 06:03 PM.
pookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-15, 11:11 AM   #3949
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

Yay!!! The Tour for 2016 has been announced.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1445339254329.jpg (93.7 KB, 0 views)

Old 20-10-15, 01:46 PM   #3950

Hi All

long time no speak.

I have convinced the MD to install a shower here at work (finally) so I can start cycling.

I need a new bike - Its all roads - its 10 miles each way and its hilly (for Suffolk) so I am looking for road orientated only - my oldish Kona hybrid is good but not designed for a sprint to and from work.

I am happy to spend up to 1000£ but it must not be fragile, I'm 6ft and built like an outhouse.

It will be bought through the cycle scheme so 1000£ is the max - I have all the gear I need at the moment

Any advice gratefully received.

Regards

Alex