SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-06-05, 08:53 PM   #1
Supadan

Default Lumpy idle

OK, next problem, very lumpy at idle and coughs a bit when pulling away in first. Feels really bad. Only happens when warmed up. Happened once before when it was wet but then was fine once it dried out. Today is a bit humid but not wet.

Any ideas gratefully recieved.

Thanks

Dan.
Old 17-06-05, 09:59 PM   #2
snoopy

Choke still on?

It should run better when hot than cold. What was your other problem?
Old 18-06-05, 07:23 AM   #3
Scoobs
Vipers Pillion Bitch
Mega Poster

If you are sure everything has dried out it may be that your carbs need synching.

Scoobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-05, 04:43 PM   #4
embee
Mega Poster

could be 2 different things.

When wet probably the usual front plug getting wet (fender extenda and/or seal the plug cap and check the drain hole is clear)

Otherwise may well be a sticking choke plunger (carbs?), another well known issue and usually can be cleaned/lubed but may need a new cable if badly corroded. Back one is easy to get at, front one really needs carbs off (not a "big" deal but a bit more involved).

If the choke plunger sticks it makes that cylinder run too rich when hot.

Check idle speed too, 1300rpm or thereabouts.
embee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-05, 11:21 AM   #5
Supadan

Thanks. I've checked everything I can ref the electrics and the fuel. One of the breather pipes was blocked but problem still exists. I am going to ring the garage on Monday to see if they can check carb syc.

Thanks,

D.
Old 24-06-05, 05:06 PM   #6
Supadan

It was the blo*dy spark plugs. Fender extender aquired. She is now running like a nectarine wrapped in a silk scarf on a jaguar leather front seat covered in fabric conditioner.

Shame the CCC makes it sound like a fighter jet!

D
Old 24-06-05, 09:04 PM   #7
Scoobs
Vipers Pillion Bitch
Mega Poster

Result!

Scoobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-05, 05:06 PM   #8
Supadan

Actually no. The spark plug did the job for a while but then the problem came back. I took it back and the guy replaced the choke valves. The ones that came out were pretty knacked, but still the lumpy idle persisted. So I monitored it for a while.

It seemed that if I rode hard and fast and regularly every day it never happened. If I left the bike for a day or two it was very lumpy below 3 thou. Whenever I took it to the garage to get them to witness it, it would never do it because of the law of sod. So I left it at the garage for a few days and then went back and started it, and it did it. Immediately the mechanic jumped all over it testing everything and came to the conclusion that the problem is definately electrical. He says that it is very strange. Whenever he fiddles the problem goes away and it is very intermitent, and only happens after a period of no use. The spark is always there but every now and then just goes out of time. We are replacing the rear coil next but he fears it is the cdi?

Anyone got any advice about getting a second hand one because I just cannot afford a new one. Wish i'd spent more money when I bought the little bugger. I love her to bits, but I have almost replaced all of her!

Advice greatfully recieved!

Dan