SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-12-06, 10:55 AM   #1
Razor

Default Bike security

Looks like the local scrotes are out stealing their crimbo money already.

Neighbour had his new fireblade nicked last night. Like mine his bike was chained to a ground anchor in his driveway. Looks like they reveresed a van up and then ground the lock off. Bike in van and gone. I was asleep on the couch in my lounge, never heard a thing.

Now I'm thinking of getting an Almax chain for added piece of mind. Maybe a CCTV camera too.

He came over and warned me to get my bike somewehre safe but it's currently in bits... Who would steal an obviously crash damaged SV when there was a mint fireblade on the other side of the road, or a new R6 in a wood shed nextdoor?

As it's the run up to the Christmas period, make sure you keep your bikes locked and out of sight if possible.
Old 03-12-06, 11:12 AM   #2
Beenz

I know the feeling, I 'lost' a CBR600 AND a KMX200 in one night when the *******s jemmied the garage door open. Never heard a thing.

Get an alarmed lock, maybe not the best deterrant but it will attact attention. Also use two disc locks, means the scum has to lift the whole bke to get it out not just the front.

Good luck holding on to your bike Razor.
Old 03-12-06, 11:20 AM   #3
hovis

how about a shed? i know they are not the strongest of buildings, but at least it will not be visable
Old 03-12-06, 11:22 AM   #4
kwak zzr

gits! makes my blood boil!
Old 03-12-06, 11:24 AM   #5
Razor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovi5
how about a shed? i know they are not the strongest of buildings, but at least it will not be visable
My shed and fence got burned down a month ago, second time in 4 years. If my bike was in there it'd be toast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenz
Get an alarmed lock, maybe not the best deterrant but it will attact attention. Also use two disc locks, means the scum has to lift the whole bke to get it out not just the front.
I've got 2 disc locks and a chain to the ground anchor. I might add another chain round the rear wheel with an alarmed lock as you suggest.

I'm pretty sure my neighbours theft was by other neighbours, usually they park thier car right up against the bike, as I do, but last night they were out at a crimbo do and stayed over in a hotel.
As they're not often out with the car, it sounds more like some locals were watching for just such an opportunity.
Old 03-12-06, 11:47 AM   #6
hovis

how about a metal shed or one that comes in concrete slabs & you put it together yourself(cant remember what they are called)
Old 03-12-06, 12:10 PM   #7
Razor

Not really an option, there's a fight going on about having the alley behind our terrace being blocked off. The local scrotes use it as quicK access between the main road and their part of the estate. Think scooters at midnight and loadsa white lightning bottles. I think if my bike was round the back it'd be at more of a risk.
I live right at the centre of the cul de sac, whereas my neighbour who lost his 'blade is right at the entrance.

I've had the suspicion that my bike cover has been lifted a few times in the last couple of weeks, the way I tuck it down means that even the wind can't pull it off.

I'm gonna go to focus and buy a new PIR security light for the front of the house and look at an alarmed disc lock.

Can anybody recommend an alarmed disc lock?
Old 03-12-06, 12:17 PM   #8
Bear

Default Re: Bike security

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor
He came over and warned me to get my bike somewehre safe but it's currently in bits... Who would steal an obviously crash damaged SV when there was a mint fireblade on the other side of the road, or a new R6 in a wood shed nextdoor?
You'd be surprised. I had a dodgy old CX500 nicked from outside a previous address and that wasn't only in bits, it had mould on it and plants growing through the engine

Perhaps nicked isn't the right word. Possibly rescued...

Check out last months ride mag (or possibly Bike, can't remember) had a whole section on security, and good luck.

Jai
Old 03-12-06, 12:29 PM   #9
arenalife

Both mags have security articles this month. If you have your bike at home, they say anything alarmed is good, after all you only have to wake up and turn on the house lights and they're not going to be hanging around. It doesn't cost much for a door alarm or PIR alarm and they hate them.
Old 03-12-06, 12:30 PM   #10
instigator

Razor, I recommend it to everyone, get a personal attack alarm and replace the nylon rope with fishing wire. Hide the alarm under the tank or fairing or whatever and the little tag with the fishing line around a spoke on the wheel or even a ground anchor. Chances are they won't see it.

I would get one AS WELL as the alarmed disc lock.

I don't know if you can get them but I'd look for a motion sensor alarm....silent alarm mind, one that transmits the signal to a receiver in your bedroom so you can get up and get 'ready' whilst the crooks are none the wiser.