SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-01-12, 09:58 AM   #1
tim0o

Default misfiring problems on k2

HI all,

I recently went through the 7.5k service on my bike at home and was confident that everything was done properly with no problems.

However I have now started having problems. at first the bike started to misfire, particularly bad when i tried to use engine breaking - it was so loud that it sounded like a gun firing - but noticable when just driving around as well. After advice that it would likely be the plugs I stripped it down and checked them to ensure that i hadn't done anything wrong, im pretty confident here that all is fine. Now it doesnt 'bang' when i decelerate but its still misfiring.

However I have now encountered 2 new problems! firstly, when i start up the bike and take the choke off it struggles to stay running and makes an air leak sort of sound (the only description i can give is an asthmatic trying to blow air through pursed lips!) and then cuts out. so restart the engine, it runs ok for a few seconds then struggles and the same thing happens again.

Then to my joy today as i start up the bike and give it a ride it for apparently no reasons decides half way around that it wants to start idling at about 3000 revs. I noticed that if the bike was in gear the revs would drop down when the engine was put under load but if i pulled the clutch back in/ put it in neutral the revs shot back up high again.

any help would be appreciated, i really dont want to have to take it into the garage for obvious financial reasons but i am not sure if i have any other choice.

regards

Last edited by tim0o; 09-01-12 at 10:02 AM.
Old 09-01-12, 10:06 AM   #2
maviczap
Mega Poster

Default Re: misfiring problems on k2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim0o View Post
HI all,

However I have now encountered 2 new problems! firstly, when i start up the bike and take the choke off it struggles to stay running and makes an air leak sort of sound (the only description i can give is an asthmatic trying to blow air through pursed lips!) and then cuts out. so restart the engine, it runs ok for a few seconds then struggles and the same thing happens again.

Then to my joy today as i start up the bike and give it a ride it for apparently no reasons decides half way around that it wants to start idling at about 3000 revs. I noticed that if the bike was in gear the revs would drop down when the engine was put under load but if i pulled the clutch back in/ put it in neutral the revs shot back up high again.

regards
Fault one, did you remove the air box, if you did, then check to see if its correctly seated on the carb rubbers.

Fault 2. Check the throttle cable routing have you upset that when doing your service
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-12, 10:09 AM   #3
dyzio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
Fault one, did you remove the air box, if you did, then check to see if its correctly seated on the carb rubbers.
Also check if the plug caps are fitted correctly, check HT leads as well(?)
dyzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-12, 10:41 AM   #4
tim0o

thanks so much for the quick responses, i will check this all later when i am home.
Old 09-01-12, 02:16 PM   #5
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

It does sound like an air leak.Airbox as said above,all rubber pipes connected to where they should be,and no sucking air anywhere.Check the two crankcase breather pipes that go into the airbox havnt come adrift.