SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-09-13, 07:28 PM   #1
rp16v

Default Curvy misfiring.

hi all newbie from bristol here with abit of ill 650curvy

so as is every morning she starts first press of the button warms up nicley and lovley and smooth but give it some welly and it starts to back/missfire.

also if i stop off to get fuel/pop in a shop come back out and its turns over fine just fails to start it takes good few tries/mins to fire but when it douse it idles fine
if left for a while say a full dy at work come out and it starts first time as in the morning

iv had the carbs apart and cleaned dident move the needle adjustments so still stock all rubbers were fine no cracks
iv had the bike a year now and this problem only started about 4 months ago after i had a chain dismount but unsure how this would have caused anything like this
thanks in advance
Old 12-09-13, 07:33 PM   #2
jambo
Mega Poster

Default Re: hi im new and im baffled

I'll put a shiny penny down that one or more of your choke plungers/cables are sticking.

The bike only starts well when cold, and runs badly when starting warm, I'd guess the idle is set a little low and the choke is slightly on. Carbs back out, choke plungers out, make sure the recesses are clean and the plungers ping in and out with a movement from the lever before you put them back in.

Of course, I could be talking cobblers, but it's where I'd start...

Jambo
Old 12-09-13, 07:40 PM   #3
rp16v

Default Re: hi im new and im baffled

idle is set at about 1200 give or take a bit as per haynes manual

ok il give them a try odds ar they are originals so streached for the price they are probably worth changing anyway? i have some money put by incase need new bits to get/test
just hate being off my bike a my commute is lovley
Old 15-09-13, 09:00 PM   #4
rp16v

Default Re: Curvy misfiring.

ok new cable fitted started it up for abit about 5-10 mins idle shut off for a couple and it fired up again no problem going to give it a run around tomorrow night hopefully this will be the end of this gremlin
im asuming this dident help ither
Old 15-09-13, 10:45 PM   #5
wideguy

My curvy did that too. I stuffed it back where it was supposed to be, sealed it and covered it with electrical tape secured with some light safety wire. It's worked fine for years now, I just look at it every once in a while to see it's still OK.
Old 18-09-13, 08:28 AM   #6
rp16v

well jambo all bets were correct had a great commute today power all the way with no backfireing and started again after being shut off for abit
if i ever meet u i owe u a pint sir
Old 18-09-13, 12:18 PM   #7
jambo
Mega Poster

Glad the issue was obvious, makes up for all those ones that take ages to find and then turn out to be 2 or 3 little things occurring at the same time

Fingers crossed you get a load of trouble free miles in now

James
Old 18-09-13, 12:40 PM   #8
rp16v

hope so they just re surfaced the section of a38 i use to commute every day and i want to abuse it lol
Old 18-09-13, 08:15 PM   #9
rp16v

spoke to soon got some petty on way home came out and just turning over finaly got it fierd before the battery died