SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-11-17, 08:40 PM   #11
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: SV650 AL7 problem

My AL7 does not have a problem being ridden as soon as it fires up, the fact that yours never has suggests there was something amiss from new.

Maybe problem with engine temperature sensor.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 20-11-17 at 09:21 PM.
SV650rules is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-17, 09:49 PM   #12
DJ123
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
1) Once it starts, it takes a few leisurely seconds to reach idle but once idle is achieved then it runs perfectly and revs cleanly.

2) I'm usually in a petrol station - everything stinks of fuel

3) I had a curvy years ago that ran on one cylinder - it's like that. Assuming that is the case the second cylinder comes on line smoothly and seemlessly not abruptly.

It starts quickly from cold, idles smoothly but has never liked been ridden immediately, I usually start it and then put on jacket, helmet etc, by that time it runs fine. It had the throttle bodies replaced because of its "cold blooded" nature early on in its life (1500 miles). If it's been left for more than a few minutes after being ridden it starts promptly. The problem occurs when it's been ridden and shut off for a short time and then restarted.

I normally ride 25 - 30 miles at a time (no short commutes), maybe I'll try a few short journeys and see if it happens more often.

Bibio - while it's under warranty I'll stick to their recommendations, after that, we'll see. It does seem to be a ridiculously short life for a plug.
I think potentially its a fuel supply issue. Try opening the filler cap next time it does this. Give it 30 seconds or so, close it then try to start the bike. Also check the over flow & breather pipe too to make sure they're not blocked or kinked.
I know of other bikes that have odd foibles like this and they create a vacuum within the tank & fuel lines making it hard to start the bike after stopping (after a brief ride or whilst the engine is hot).

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-17, 08:57 AM   #13
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

I had an old CX500 that got a blocked filler cap breather pin hole.It had some funky symptoms until I cleared the hole.I noticed it when filling up.I could hear a slight sucking noise when the cap was released.

My 10 Penn'th.
Old 21-11-17, 10:22 AM   #14
Seeker
Mega Poster

Thanks for the suggestions but don't forgot that the times this happened have been at a petrol station and the bike was running fine until I switched it off and the filler would be opened then. The blocked filler hole used to be more of a problem with carbs but on a pressurised FI system it shouldn't be so much of an issue.

My plan (Plan A) is to ride my usual route, stop halfway, switch off the bike for 2-3 minutes and then see if it will restart without an issue (if/when it stops raining). I want to see if I can repeat it at will.

I've emailed my dealer with the symptoms to give him a heads-up, I'm about 2000 miles from my next service which will probably be early next year.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-17, 11:37 PM   #15
littleoldman2
Mega Poster

Location: Cramlington Northumberland where we are truely blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
bit off topic but i always park my bike in gear. why? simple.. it cant move if given a little nudge or its windy. especially park in gear if you have a top box as closing the lid can push the bike forward.
I did that with Mrs LOM still sat on the back when we stopped for a photo of Glen Etive. One very unhappy wife and a £500 bill to paint the beemer.
Old 22-11-17, 02:04 PM   #16
SVSte

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleoldman2 View Post
I did that with Mrs LOM still sat on the back when we stopped for a photo of Glen Etive. One very unhappy wife and a £500 bill to paint the beemer.
Sounds like the fuel canister under the seat my be blocked it's charcoal and helps with fuel build up pressure in the tank, so could be the fuel does not get to one of the plugs due to vapour locking.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
Old 22-11-17, 03:53 PM   #17
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVSte View Post
Sounds like the fuel canister under the seat my be blocked it's charcoal and helps with fuel build up pressure in the tank, so could be the fuel does not get to one of the plugs due to vapour locking.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
Charcoal canister is to stop hydrocarbon fumes getting out of fuel system and polluting the planet, would not think it would easily get blocked, but maybe the pipe can get trapped and squashed depending on what is stowed under the seat, (there is not a lot of room). Thought that that would be more of a problem at higher throttle openings when more fuel being sucked out of tank though.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
Old 22-11-17, 05:27 PM   #18
SV650rules
Mega Poster

I know cars that have had similar problem starting when engine was warm, turned out to be engine temperature sensor was fault, they were fine from cold, but i think ECU was making mixture too rich for a warm engine.

Old 23-11-17, 07:01 PM   #19
Talking Heads

Did you get the ECU recall done?
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-17, 07:21 PM   #20
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Heads View Post
Did you get the ECU recall done?
ECU recall was because problem with mass airflow sensor would not be shown on OBD port. For me it as not a big enough problem to let some fat fingered guy mess around with ECU and maybe cause another problem, my AL7 has run faultlessly since I got it in May 2016.